Kato Spare Parts

Sir Madog

Several of the online stores have them.  I'm most familiar with Hobby Search.  Since they re-organized the site, the entry is hidden way down the side menu, below the HO and Z-scale stuff, there's an "Other Kato Items" with both parts and "Assy Parts".  If it's not there (and many things are too obscure for them to stock) try sending an email to them and asking (I've never done that, although I have ordered parts they had in stock).

I did a web search using the Kato´s part # and got a load of hits, but most stores don´t ship those parts outside of Japan.

Hey Madog,

Did HS have the things you're looking for?

Also, you can email a list and your shipping address to Bigman, bigman@mokeiya.jp, but you will need PayPal and EMS shipping with him.  However, parts will probably be discounted 20%.

Cheers

The_Ghan

Another option is BT Trains.  He stocks some Tomix parts, but if you don't mind waiting he could probably special-order anything that's available in Japan.  You might be able to get it cheaper by going direct if you can find a store that will ship International, depends on how much shipping runs.

Thanks for the advice - I´ll give it a try. I hate to see a $ 20 shipping fee on a $ 4 item, though.

Thanks for the advice - I´ll give it a try. I hate to see a $ 20 shipping fee on a $ 4 item, though.

i try to wait on parts for this reason to go with big orders but it seems lately all kato and tomix parts sell out on hs very quickly.

I really thing HS understock parts and it's a real shame they do so.

One thing i will try not to do.

Parts are really tough for retailers as they require stocking A LOT of parts, with the vast majority of them probably not selling and the ones that do are to a really small fraction of their customers. The margin on them really sucks and keeping track and presenting a myriad of parts takes a lot of time and effort. Also to make your customers happy you have to have what they want or be willing and able to get it for them through their distributors as I don't think stores in Japan can deal directly with the manufacturers, even for parts. So it's just not a great business proposition for shops I think as no profit (worse could really stick you with inventory) and only good to try to keep customers happy.

It's too bad there are not parts stores that work directly with the manufacturers to sell parts. bill mentioned that in the Japanese distribution model stores don't own a lot of their inventory outright and it can easily be returned back up the distribution chain.

Katousa will try to get any part for you from kato Japan. Takes a month or two and they charge full retail and like $6 shipping, but I've successfully gotten a couple of broken parts replaced like this. They require you to fax in the train's parts sheet with the part circled to order a part. I guess they have had a lot of bad orders in the past, so you get and keep what you circle!

If you want I would be happy to try Katousa for you Ulrich.

Cheers

Jeff

Jeff,

thank you for the offer to help me getting the parts. I have yet to complete the list, as I need those parts for my C11 detailing project. Basically, it´s the D51 snow plow assembly I need and the 9600 front beam assembly. I have yet to locate the correct part nos.

Thank goodness it is not a pressing issue...

That's why I suggest you just send a list to Bigman.  He'll check what Kato have and give you a price for whatever is available from your list.  Wait-listing with HS can result in a lot of items being shipped separately.

Cheers

The_Ghan