Tomytec Bus System

Hi Toni! You mean it's released already and available for sale?

No no, just a functioning prototype. The show in Ginza (next to JAM) is used to present potential buyers with prototypes and raw production models.

I just can't wait for it! Now i need to wait for it so that i can plan the bus travelling road accurately.. You know, i always dreamt of how to make the bus go around junctions... Even thought of using two curves to concide with each other to make them look like they are turning right at opposite directions... Now this makes it look perfect! Would they be just releasing the junction, and not with the entire figure-8 layout? 

Yes, buses stop at the intersection and wait until the correct path is opened. They also have two lanes for three directions (like often the case IRL).

Yes, buses stop at the intersection and wait until the correct path is opened. They also have two lanes for three directions (like often the case IRL).

I was about to ask that! So the buses DO stop at the junctions! Now that makes my heart skip a beat! 

Can't wait for it to be released! 

I'm guessing there has to be a remote turnout with wires or something to control which direction you want the buses to go... And i'm hoping really really hoping the set doesn't come like it was shown in the picture - A figure-8 set with only one junction... I could do with alot of junctions to make the buses look more complex moving around my town, and also maximise the number of routes the buses can take, so i can have mulitple moving buses on one layout! A figure-8 set would mean it will cost more, and only to get more redundant road pieces... Could there be a single junction type for sale? 

This brings a whole new dimension to the moving buses system, and i'm loving and very excited about it! 

If they'd add a T junction you could make all layouts you wish for. With only + junctions you don't have that much flexibility because you would get some sort of separate loops.

Now the only thing remaining are working traffic lights and chassis' for trucks and cars, but considering the space in those it'll probably never happen.

I don't know, look at all the stuff we've got in N scale today that a mere twenty years ago would have been unheard of.

I don't know, look at all the stuff we've got in N scale today that a mere twenty years ago would have been unheard of.

Even just five-six years ago.  The Kato Kintetsu Urbanliner was of the few Kato trains with working lights. Modemo's Tokyu 300 trams were in mid-issue without lights or head, tail lights.  Super-elevated track was unheard of. Tram modelers thought the Tomix 3076 track covers were the best thing since sliced bread. Moving buses were a rarity.  Lighted platforms were found on the prototype.

• Like 1
Even just five-six years ago.  The Kato Kintetsu Urbanliner was of the few Kato trains with working lights. Modemo's Tokyu 300 trams were in mid-issue without lights or head, tail lights.  Super-elevated track was unheard of. Tram modelers thought the Tomix 3076 track covers were the best thing since sliced bread. Moving buses were a rarity.  Lighted platforms were found on the prototype.

You could have moving buses if you were willing to mortgage your house to get the Faller ones.

You could have moving buses if you were willing to mortgage your house to get the Faller ones.

If you could find the parts!!   :glasses2:

Faller busses use to come across ebay pretty regularly. I picked my bus kit up for like $75 (bus, wire, trenching patch, and stop electromagnet). Tomytec mechs are nice and cheap though!

Jeff

• Like 1
... I'm guessing there has to be a remote turnout with wires or something to control which direction you want the buses to go...

I was wondering about that, too. They appear to be manual operation to me, using the little arms that the photos show coming out the edges of the roadway. But who knows, maybe they will offer operating servos that can connect to these arms. Or you might be able to add your own.

Toni, do you know for sure that the "buses stop and wait until the correct path is chosen"? After all, like a rail turnout, one path is always "chosen," isn't it? How does a bus know that the present path isn't "correct"? If the buses do stop and wait, does this mean there is a "wait" magnet mounted under the roadway, and is it also moveable with an operating arm, like the one on the bus stop roadway section? Hmmm... the mind boggles.

Rich K.

Yes i saw the box and wires too, hence i was thinking about the remote turnout control.. In a way this is good new, but in a way bad news too as it would mean the system would cost quite alot... Just hoping that they can release just the junction only since i think that is what most of us are looking forward too. The extra pieces of the road to make the figure-8 would just contribute more to the cost of the set itself...

The bus stopping at the junction is definately a sight to behold, and i would think there is also a similar system like the bus stop to make the bus stop. Perhaps it will stop there till a path is chosen for it to move; i.e. the track will be cut off and a turnout to select the path to 'push' the track to position so the bus can continue on its route either left turn, right turn or straight ahead. It will be very interesting to figure our the entire system when it's release. It can also mean since a cross junction is out, a T-junction will be coming soon since it will be way simpler to do a T than a Cross junction, and like Densha said, a T-junction makes unendless connections! Glad i'm making a moving bus layout in my town! 

Interesting stuff going on:

http://dc-crafts.main.jp/trm/img2013/img20130517jl.jpg

The buses stopped, though I'm not sure how and what mechanism triggered it. I think more will be revealed at the JAM.

That picture explains much! Thanks Toni!

Seems like the turnout concept is correct, and by the looks of it mighty similar to the track turnouts, with a magnet! This will be very very interesting... Any idea of the release date yet?  

Oops, I thought someone may post this news already.

7/17~7/21 NMRA Atlanta Show, Tomix demo this crossing module already. Of course, it's prototype.

Mudkip Orange

Cross intersections are some simple logic.

Make a roundabout that the buses can navigate without sideswiping each other, and then I'll be truly impressed.

Thanks Bri for the video! It's very nice! 

Here's my editted video just to show the bus system only: 

As you can see, the buses DO Stop at junctions! What is mighty interesting is the fact that there are 2 lanes at the junctions for two directions of the 4-way junction, and the buses keep to the left lane to turn left (if left is selected i guess) or keep to the right lane and turn right (if right is selected i guess), turn left/ right at the junction, and KEEP left/ right until someway over the junction and return to the middle of the road! This is very nice detail and makes them look very realistic as real life you need to keep left to turn left... Now i want the 2 lane junction and the 4-way junction so badly... 

• Like 1