2012 10.10>21 Trip to Japan

It seems like this October is a popular time for a number of JNS forumers who is going or planning to visit Japan.  This is my 3rd time heading there but I still have some questions in hopes that some of you who recently have gone or is living there can help.

With thanks to Japan Guide online and Hyperdia, here is what I am planning to do with my JR 7 days pass (squeeze it to 8 days by taking overnite train). I will start with Day 2 since Day 1 is arriving to Narita Airport at night from Honolulu.

2012.10.12 FRI (Mt. Fuji’s Hakone area or Night at Osaka)

09:26 東京 Tokyo [18] > 新幹線こだま643号 > 10:01 Odawara 小田原

Hakone Free Pass 3900 Yen

18:45 小田原 Odawara> JR東海道線 > 19:44 横浜市 Yokohama [7]

22:24 横浜市 Yokohama [6] > サンライズ瀬戸 / サンライズ出雲 > 05:25 姫路 Himeji

06:29 姫路 Himeji  [8] > 新幹線こだま720 > 07:04 新大阪 Shin-Osaka [20]

Plan B: No overnight train

17:40 箱根湯本駅 Hakone-Yumoto> 箱根登山鉄道 > 17:55 小田原Odawara

18:08 小田原 Odawara > 新幹線ひかり523 > 20:30 新大阪 Shin-Osaka

My goal is to validate my JR pass get all my tickets booked at Tokyo Station Office at 07:30.

My friend and I will then hop on the Shinkansen to Odawara for a day trip in the Hakone area.

We hope to be able to get the nobi-nobi seat on Sunrise Express from Yokohama to Osaka via Himeji.

Here are my questions:

1) Given the shortness of booking an overnight train on our first leg, do you think it is possible to get a nobi-nobi rest space (free) instead of resorting to a room (cost 10, 000 Yen and up)?  Is it possible to book at all since it is a Friday?

2) Is it worth it to go to Yokohama Ramen Museum?  Or should we just head to noodle house (any recommendation?) outside the station?

3) We will be following the Japan Guide to do a Hakone day trip, will there be mosquitoes or any blood suckers in early October?

4) Should we pack lunch to Hakone or food there is alright and affordable?

5) How busy is Hakone in October on Friday?  Is it better to do a clockwise round trip, the opposite of Japan Guide by taking the bus>ship>cable cars > cable tram > train to avoid the crowds? http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e5210.html

leo,

definitely go to the open air sculpture museum in Hakone, it totally beats the areal tram and pirate boat! very nicely done and even enjoyable in the rain. its one of the best sculpture museums ive seen, very japanese in the design with more though to the scenes and landscaping than you usually get in these kinds of parks! even if you are not that into art its a wonderful garden display and usually not that mobbed by tourists

http://www.hakone-oam.or.jp/english/

also that are is proud of their gyozas (pot stickers) and several great small restaurants with many selections to choose from! its a must meal there!

cheers

jeff

leo,

I think we'll be around the Kyoto/Osaka area between 15th and 19th October.  We will be based in Tokyo from the night of the 19th.  Saturday is planned for Kofu round trip via Holiday View Yamanashi and Super Azusa.  Sunday 20th will be in Tokyo ... sleep in, church, then off to Harajuku for a look-see.

We'd love to meet up, even just for a meal, if it takes your fancy.

Cheers

The_Ghan

@Bill, Thanks for the alternative information, I am definitely investigating further for the alternative.  BTW, I always love your links. They always give me fresh perspective on things.

@Jeff, I was wondering if there is anything else to do other than a full day of continuous traveling between different modes of transport.

@The_Ghan, thanks for the offer. I will be staying at the Toyoko Inn ShinOsaka from 10.13 to 10.16 with day trips going to Kyoto and Nara.  Since I am going with a friend and will be visiting a friend in Kyoto, I have to confirm with them first before I can response.  Otherwise I would love to meet another fellow JNS Forumer especially from Down Under for dinner or an outing.  I will keep you posted.

@JR500 のぞみ, I am tempted to hop onto the Fuji Train if we decide to not do the Hakone Round Trip.  I will have to see what my friend's opinion is.

2012.10.13 > 16

I think it is more sane to leave our luggage and more affordable to stay at an Osaka Hotel (Toyoko Inn) while venturing out to visit Kyoto, Nara and Osaka as day trips.  Since learning from last time, I am leaning heavily toward going to Kyoto during weekdays.

Nara Trip:

09:16 新大阪 Shin-Osaka [11] > LTD. EXP HARUKA 13 > 09:31 天王寺 Tennoji [15]

09:37 天王寺 Tennoji [16] > JR大和路快速サービス > 10:10 奈良 Nara

12:54 奈良 Nara > JR Nara Line Rapid Service > 13:41 京都 [8]

19:15 京都 [13 ]>新幹線ひかり521 > 新大阪 Shin-Osaka [22]

Kyoto Trip

09:13 新大阪 Shin-Osaka [23] > 新幹線ひかり514 > 09:28 京都 Kyoto [11]

19:15 京都 [13 ]>新幹線ひかり521 > 新大阪 Shin-Osaka [22]

My questions is:

Any ideas on how I can avoid the crowds while being able to visit all the popular temple?  Is there a method?  Or do we have to be there by dawn?

I wasn't able to visit the Train Museum in Osaka?  Has anyone been?  How was it?

@Jeff, I was wondering if there is anything else to do other than a full day of continuous traveling between different modes of transport.

the whole loop is fun, i think it takes like 3 hrs total, boat is a big part of it, pretty well run snap snap, but last time i was there was not peak tourism time so might be crowded in summer. its pretty kitchy though so you have to be into that when you are there. sculpture park is pretty quiet and i think not as hyped as the pirate ship! gyozas are well worth a good meal on! man now ive got the homer simpson slobber going on thinking of them!

have fun

jeff

• Like 1

Awesome Leo,

If it is convenient for both parties we'll catch up.

Cheers

The_Ghan

• Like 1

Perhaps i can provide a little infomation as i was travelling from Shin-Osaka to Kyoto and vincinity when i was in Japan in March. Basically, the Shinkansen trip from Shin-Osaka to Kyoto is readily available, and often on the N700 series, some on the 700. It's basically not very packed when i was there but i wont know for October though..

The Temples are usually not so crowded when i went in March, probably winter session. Autumn should be more crowded? I visisted the Fushimi Inari (must-go! Very Japanese feeling), Ginkakuji, Kinkakuji temples.. Initially wanted to visit the Kiyomizu temple also, but the Mrs. think that's enough temple visiting for one day (must be the Fushimi Inari shrine tired her out)... Anyway, i think taking City buses to visit Temples within the vincinity of Kyoto is more convinent instead. The one-day pass costs 500yen for unlimited travel.

Here, let me know if you need the Kyoto Bus Sight-seeing map for your referenece and planning. *Tried attaching here but file size is too large*  :grin 

I was in Osaka-Kyoto-Nara in March 2011 and agree with JR500's suggestions about using the Bus network to get around Kyoto and to get hold of that  Kyoto Bus map before you go to Japan to plan your day there.

It's a big fold out map given away free at the information desk at Kyoto Station. However it takes a while to work out what combination of buses to use to get where you want to go. From memory it is a double sided map and would take many pages to scan on an A4 scanner BUT it is worth its weight in gold.

(If you are interested in Manga, then the Manga Museum in Kyoto is worth a look. When I was there, there was a live theatre performance every hour. )  If you are into eating, then  the covered walkways behind Shijo St are the go!

May I pass on a tip about Nara?  When you arrive at Nara JR station you will see a big square. At one end there is a historic building which houses a tourist information centre with maps and advice in English. I caught a bus on the square to go up to the deer park to see this gigantic wooden temple. It was a nice way to spend a few hours just wandering around.

I'll be interested to hear how the Toyoko Inn at Shin-Osaka works out in terms of walking to & from the station.  I came into that region from Kansai International Airport Osaka late at night and used the Toyoko Inn JR Noda at Osaka and the Tokoyo Inn Shijo-Karasume in Kyoto.

bikkuri bahn
At one end there is a historic building which houses a tourist information centre with maps and advice in English.

That is likely the former Nara Station building.  Thankfully it was preserved when the station was elevated.

I've stayed at the Toyoko Inn in Shin Osaka.  It's a bit of a walk (6~8 min tops) from the station, not far, but a little more than average for Toyoko Inn locations. 

It's a big fold out map given away free at the information desk at Kyoto Station. However it takes a while to work out what combination of buses to use to get where you want to go. From memory it is a double sided map and would take many pages to scan on an A4 scanner BUT it is worth its weight in gold.

Oh yes! And i remembered being the silly me who downloaded the map from the net and actually printing it out in FULL COLOUR in A2 size paper and bringing it along when i was buying the bus ticket, only to find out that they give out pocket size pamplets EXACTLY the same as the ones i printed out in Japanese and ENglish versions....  :lipssealed:

JR500,

Ah yes , but a great map , and one of life's little secrets to get around Kyoto!!

Bikkuri Bahn

Are there many restaurants around the Shin-Osaka Toyoko Inn?  If so I might try it next time.  I  previously used the Toyoko Inn at Jr Noda as a base because it was at the end of the JR Noda station on the Osaka loop and their were a lot of places to eat within a few paces including a place that sold fresh fruit & veg.

By the way , I liked your Yamazaki whisky post today! I never knew where it was made. Perhaps a religious pilgrimage there for me one day. I keep a now empty bottle in my study as a reminder of how good it is.... er ...was. Suntory Whisky in general and Yamazaki in particular is another of lifes little secrets. In my case , discovered later in life. 

bikkuri bahn
Are there many restaurants around the Shin-Osaka Toyoko Inn?

I was only there for one night with a 12am check in and a 7am check out, so I can't really give you an assessment.  The area seemed to be more of an office area than a mixed neighborhood, so it will may have relatively fewer dining options especially in the late hours than a station near a shotengai shopping street.  This map (Japanese/English) shows nearby restaurants:

http://tystop.toyoko-inn.com:1045/hotel/00016/_img/free1img.gif

Ok Thanks for that map.

Did that map come from the ToyokoInn website? I have just looked there but coundnt find it. The clickon map on the hotels page is different.

cheers...Eisenbahn

angusmclean
Are there many restaurants around the Shin-Osaka Toyoko Inn?

I was only there for one night with a 12am check in and a 7am check out, so I can't really give you an assessment.  The area seemed to be more of an office area than a mixed neighborhood, so it will may have relatively fewer dining options especially in the late hours than a station near a shotengai shopping street.  This map (Japanese/English) shows nearby restaurants:

We used the restaurants back at the station, only a few minutes walk.. There's plenty to choose from.  One thing about Toyoko's, Their beds are rather hard.  This may be something normal in Japan, but we never became used to them. Easy to book forward, just use the receptionist, and every 11th night is free if you get a card on the first night. Free breakfast, free internet in the lobby or in rooms, and silly cheap in May. All within a short walk of stations.

Angus

Angus

Angus

On thing though: hopefully by now the JR West trains going to Nara actually have niceties like air conditioning. I remember going to Nara on the JR Nara Line from Kyoto Station in 1985 and I rode a diesel multiple unit (DMU) train with no air conditioning and open windows--in the middle of summer! Needless to say, I rode back to Kyoto Station on the Kintetsu private railway (the train was fully air conditioned, for starters!).