Stripping Decoder wires

Bernard

I always forget to post this question, one of the toughest things for me is stripping those very thin tiny decoder wires to be soldered. I've been using an ex-acto blade but does anyone have a suggestion for a wire stripper (brand) and where you can purchase one for that small of a gauge.

Martijn Meerts

warm the plastic a little bit over an open flame, and tear it off with your fingers. No need for specialized tools =)

I agree, stripping those tiny wires is difficult ...

I haven't actually tried warming and tearing yet, however I've tried both on their own:

1. burn the the plastic bit on open flame (doesn't work, you get sticky bits and smells terrible) and

2. tear it off without burning (sometime it works, but not good on your fingers!).

So next time I'll definitely try your suggestion  ;D

Thanks everyone!

Don - that is what I was looking for, I went to Radio shack and they didn't have the light wire gauge strippers.

alpineaustralia

I grip the wire about half a centimetre (quarter of an inch) away from the end with a set of long nose pliers, place the wire in a pairr of wiree cutters applying only light pressure and gently pull the plastic off.