WTF?

gr8tfuldead

gr8tfuldead

Check out g.h.r-japan train auctions on eBay. (Some of his other items are a little racy). For $107.00 you can get a package of Kato plaster cloth. That does include free shipping from Japan, though. Either he doesn't know how to convert yen to dollars, work the decimal point, or he's crazy...   ???

bikkuri bahn

Yeah, the Kato EZ water he has at $110 sells for 1575 yen (approx. $19) in Japan, so he's marking it up a whopping 579 percent.  It's like that Florida-based secondhand bookstore on the net that seemingly has every used book you want, but at prices over $100 for even paperbacks.

Guest JRF-1935

He certainly makes Newhall look good ! :grin

EM'd him about his decimal points - no reply yet.  :laugh:

Guess he's taking PT Barnum literaly !

Rich C

• Like 2
Martijn Meerts

Holy hell batman!

I wonder how he got a top seller rating, with those prices you expect he wouldn't sell anything at all =)

bikkuri bahn

Holy hell batman!

I wonder how he got a top seller rating, with those prices you expect he wouldn't sell anything at all =)

Checking his sellers history, he mainly sells anime and figure stuff, an area I have little expertise in.  However, one item he sold for $149, the One Piece Thousand Sunny pirate ship, sells for ¥2536 on Amazon Japan (approx. $31), a 481 percent markup.  Sellers like this take advantage of the information gap and lack of Japanese language skills of many buyers to fleece them. He is not alone either, searches of this item (in English), show average prices of over $100 by other sellers. Search in Japanese, and you get the discount price off MSRP...

Well,

With all this chatter I just had to investigate.  The 13mm Kato nails is my favourite rip-off.  $76 including shipping ... RRP from Kato is Y53 ... less than 70c ... that's a mark up of over 11000% .... yes, 11000%

Cheers

The_Ghan

• Like 1

Well,

With all this chatter I just had to investigate.  The 13mm Kato nails is my favourite rip-off.  $76 including shipping ... RRP from Kato is Y53 ... less than 70c ... that's a mark up of over 11000% .... yes, 11000%

Cheers

The_Ghan

How much would that be per nail?!?

Holy Mackerell!

And I always thought, the hobby of model railroading is expensive only in Germany. This guy must think we are all stupid.

unfortunately the business model of some other suppliers, make japanese trains seem rare, expensive and very hard to get for the newbies to bite on. hey its a legit business model that is taught out there! if you think you can get a market that is willing to pay X for something even though it only costs you a fraction of that go for it until you have competition that drives the price down!

i hate it when the uninformed are just preyed upon like this.

im hoping that its a mistake, but if he has been doing this on other auctions in the past i doubt its an honest mistake.

ebay i think no longer cares if folks do this sort of thing. Caveat emptor.

jeff

Well,

With all this chatter I just had to investigate.  The 13mm Kato nails is my favourite rip-off.  $76 including shipping ... RRP from Kato is Y53 ... less than 70c ... that's a mark up of over 11000% .... yes, 11000%

Cheers

The_Ghan

How much would that be per nail?!?

FWIW I think there are 200 or 250 per pack.  That makes 38c or 30c per nail.

Cheers

The_Ghan

unfortunately the business model of some other suppliers, make japanese trains seem rare, expensive and very hard to get for the newbies to bite on. hey its a legit business model that is taught out there! if you think you can get a market that is willing to pay X for something even though it only costs you a fraction of that go for it until you have competition that drives the price down!

i hate it when the uninformed are just preyed upon like this.

im hoping that its a mistake, but if he has been doing this on other auctions in the past i doubt its an honest mistake.

ebay i think no longer cares if folks do this sort of thing. Caveat emptor.

jeff

Ebay love it. If he can sell this stuff at that price, Ebay pick up a killing on each of them. - 9% buyit now price commision!

What's so funny is the prices looks like a scene/scam from an Adam West's Batman episode. The prices are so ridiculously high that no one buys or shops there....... just like the Joker wants it. It allows him to operate in the back office.

$83 for a uncoupler.............lol

read some of the ebay responses and almost everyone comments on how good the communication is ???    Its gets really serious when you read the guy that post how expensive the pagoda was  :laugh:..........Got the feeling he was real..........

Inobu

Guest JRF-1935

Inobu

Have to laugh at the communication feedback - still waiting to here if the seller has decimal point dyslexia  :grin

No response yet to my emails regarding prices

Rich C

I emailed as well just to see if he would respond, but no reply. So much for good communication!

Jeff

I emailed as well just to see if he would respond, but no reply. So much for good communication!

Jeff

Jeff - be careful this seller might charge for every letter they type in a return email.  :grin

Jeff - be careful this seller might charge for every letter they type in a return email.  :grin

Yeah!  :grin  $975 a word!  :cheesy