Airport Terminus

Darren Jeffries

Darren Jeffries

When i eventually get around to putting my layout together (yes Attic is about 30% ready for floorboarding), One of the elements (most likely at one of the ends of the layout) I want to create is a ficticious airport, or at least part of one loosely based on Narita airport. I know Narita has two rail terminals and wondered if anyone knows what type of services use the station? Pictures would be really helpful if you have them!

Well, I know when I flew in to Narita, I caught the Keio and it had an underground terminal. I'm not sure if the NEX trains come in underground as well or not. I had assumed they came in underground as well as Narita has a rather nasty barrier to keep people from getting in to the airport as a result of the terrorist attacks that plagued the airport in it's early days.

EDIT: Further sleuthing has shown the NEX and E217 trains that service the Narita Airport have underground stations. I found a few pictures, but they basically look like typical underground JR East station.

There are Narita Airport station (Terminal1 and Terminal2) underground.

img227.jpg

This plateform is Terminal2.

img229.jpg

This plateform is Terminal1 (KEISEI)

img233.jpg

Terminal 1,(JR EAST)

That has got to be the cleanest train platform I've ever seen! Thanks for posting that photo VVVF.

I'm used to the NYC transit system and New Yorkers would not believe that is a station, way too clean.

Hi Bernard,

Most of countries in East Asia have stations this clean partly because public transport is their main mode of choice and partly because it is much newer than NYC and Paris, with the exception of London and Germany.

Isn't Toronto, Canada's rail system clean and very quite?

I would say it was at one time, but not so clean now...and I grew up in Toronto.

I saw someone on ebay recently who had an airport built into their layout, they were selling a bunch of southwest planes and airport baggage handlers, etc, too bad you missed it!

@Bernard

Toronto subway stations are dirtier than ever because the infrastructures are breaking down, especially in older stations built right below our heavily salted roads.  Our Bombardier ART, a wonder in Vancouver, Beijing, Kuala Lumpur, and New York City (airport train), is like the poor little cousin, badly needed for some TLC.

Having that said, the Toronto Transit Commission is still something to be seen for its efficiency and foresights.  Unfortunately, those elements were well planned from people two generations ago.

@bill937a

I fully agree with you.

Back to topic,

I took the Keisei 特急 Tokkyū to the airport when I visited Tokyo in 2005 because it is cheaper than the Skyliner.  You can also take the famous JR East Narita Lines.  So the station should at least serves 4 different type of trains from 2 companies.

FYI, this will be the future train for JR East Rapid Airport Narita.

E259n1-thumb.jpg

This will be the future Keisei Skyliner

post-60-13569922287941_thumb.jpg

This will be the future Keisei Skyliner

Looks like ther Acela here i tnhe states.

Shame they never got the Narita Shinkasen going, but that'll never happen since a lot of the RoW for that project has been taken over by other JR and Kesei lines. At this point, there is sadly no way that the Narita Shinkansen will ever be built.

What still amazes me, is that buses and cars entering Narita must stop at a security checkpoint where the vehicles are inspected, yet there is no such security checkpoint for those arriving by rail. I understand why there are the checkpoints for ground traffic entering Narita due to it's bloody history, yet still, there's a hell fo a lot of things that can be snuck into an airport that could inflict some serious damage by rail.