Non-rail Photography

A lot of folks on the forum seem to be photographers, but we understandably talk mainly about train photography. Although I've done some of that in the past, over the last few years I've mainly used the camera for documenting my layout. But I wanted to do some more outdoor photography, and incidentally give myself an excuse for getting outdoors on the weekends. As a way to motivate myself, and maybe improve my skills, I've started a photoblog and am trying to post one outdoor landscape/industrial photograph a week that is hopefully worth looking at.

While New England landscape photographs may not be all that interesting to this audience, I thought I'd mention the blog here:

http://shadowedhills.wordpress.com/

And if anyone else has a photoblog, or other photography-related hobbies (including train-related ones), feel free to use this topic to post about them.

• Like 1
bikkuri bahn

I would say New England would be one of the better places for landscape and (especially) historical industrial photography.  Being a watch collector, I would be interested in pictures of the Waltham Watch Factory, if the structure or its remnants still exist.  As for railway history, White River Junction intrigues, as does the Hoosac Tunnel.

I also have a photographic practice (and not one related to our common hobby or even to rail fanning).

Which is becoming less and less a hobby. I'm at the moment (among other things) trying to prepare a first exhibition. I put regularly some pictures on my blog (http://backtothewurst.blogspot.com/) even if it's not its principal focus.

I would say New England would be one of the better places for landscape and (especially) historical industrial photography.  Being a watch collector, I would be interested in pictures of the Waltham Watch Factory, if the structure or its remnants still exist.  As for railway history, White River Junction intrigues, as does the Hoosac Tunnel.

The Waltham Watch Factory still exists, but it's been turned into a condo/office/restaurant complex.  I haven't been there, but I doubt it's going to be a good place for my kinds of photography. Still,  that kind of structure re-use is significant in its own way.

Waltham itself however, might have other things to interest me. It was one of the region's first industrial cities, taking power from the Charles River before steam became widely used. Even today it has a substantial high-tech company presence (I used to work there, actually). Mostly it's overbuilt urbanized suburbia, but it might repay a visit.  And there's an industrial museum there I've never visited.

The Hoosac tunnel is a bit nondescript from the outside now. And with the increased use from its co-ownership by Norfolk Southern as part of Pan Am Southern and general security paranoia, it may be hard to get to and photograph.  But I'll keep it in mind.  It's certainly historically significant.

I didn't realize, you were a fellow horologist, bikkuri ?