modemo odakyu

Not really. They have been doing this train for years. Which always was a surprise, I don't think Modemo has ever done any other "train".

Bill possess one.

Should I trust MODEMO??

My first and only Modemo Model was the HIROSHIMA ELECTRIC RAILWAY TYPE 5000 'GREEN MOVER'. The model of this articulated tram is the worst of example of Japanese model building I know. I don't want to elaborate about the reasons why I came to this verdict. It's done by other members in this thread: http://www.jnsforum.com/index.php/topic,3964.0.html?bcsi_scan_A4B512310750DD53=e7sCmblmnhl9J4OFHA6BswhyD0AHAAAAtZvYDA==&bcsi_scan_filename=topic,3964.0.html

Now Modemo will release a 7-car set model of the Odakyu Romancecar Series 20000 RSE 'Asagiri'. The model is not cheap (JPY 18530). I sort of like the train (especially the double deck coaches). Should I give Modemo a second chance and order the Set?

Your advice is much appreciated!

Martijn Meerts

The Green Mover is a difficult model to get right.. Modemo's other trams are all very nice, I have about 12 of them by now. I have no problem buying more Modemo really.

This Odakyu is tempting me as well, actually :)

Not really. They have been doing this train for years. Which always was a surprise, I don't think Modemo has ever done any other "train".

Bill possess one.

I do have one, but I have never run it very much.  That`s been the story of the last couple of years. Family, more work and more recently a bit of travel.  But not much time for the trains.

Now Modemo will release a 7-car set model of the Odakyu Romancecar Series 20000 RSE 'Asagiri'. The model is not cheap (JPY 18530). I sort of like the train (especially the double deck coaches). Should I give Modemo a second chance and order the Set?

Your advice is much appreciated!

The RSE 20000 Asagiri is a conventional train model, the Hiroshima Green Mover artic is not a conventional tram model.  

There is a companion train, the JR Central Series 371 which has the same layout and ran in pool service with the RSE 20000.  Micro Ace has offered three versions of Series 371, none of which are available right now.

http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10066207

http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10044787

http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10044788

The JR Series 371 is going into `private life` aka private hire service at the same time as the RSE 20000.  I would expect a re-issue by MA.

I have both of these trains.  I got the Modemo a couple of years ago from HWJ during a sale.  Soon after the MA Series 371 came available from HS and I couldn`t resist. Usually I only have space for one seven car train on the layout and I the series 371 is my favorite train.  I really like the nose and some of the side windows.  With both of them side by side I find the Modemo RSE 20000 color scheme a bit gaudy and that along with the lack of space explains why the Modemo doesn't run that much.  But not getting run a lot also applies to some of my earlier Kato and Tomix trains too.

Our East Penn group runs numerous one-car, two-car and 2-unit articulated Modemo models all the time, often for long periods, at our get-togethers. They run fine and are quality models. Before the explosion of Tomytec shells and power units and Kato Portrams, they were the backbone of everyone's Japanese model tram fleets. I think the 5-unit Green Mover is an exception to their usual quality and workmanship, and I wouldn't be surprised if they re-launch it with an improved version to maintain their pride. Modemo is a brand of the large model manufacturer Hasagawa.

Rich K.

i have a couple of dozen modemo trams and all run very well, it was just the greenmover the fell on their faces with a much more complicated mechanism. they just blew it. its the only Japanese train i have ever bought that was just plain unrunable. I am very disappointed in Hasagawa/Modemo for not just stepping up and recalling these. yes it would have been a big loss of face, but saying there is no real issue with these is just saying the sun in the sky at noon. ive fiddled with it, but it appears that there are quite a few issues going on at once here. i will eventually tear it apart to see if i can tune it up better as some of the blogs have suggested can be done.

I purchased it thru RainbowTen and contacted them about sending it back to Modemo, but they said Modemo was trying not to accept many service returns on these and they feared it might take months and that would be after they closed their overseas department. I thought of attempting to contact Hasagawa directly, but that would most likely be futel and if i did get something back i think they would say you have to go through your dealer...

I suspect they will have no problems with the standard train design liek the Odaku cars. they did fine with the 3 truck articulated units, it was just the stab at the 5 segment greenmover that really failed... hate to grouse about this, but its just such a striking fall for Modemo and Japanese trains as a whole to ship something so bad, good thing its a real anomaly, bad thing is it cost me like $150... One of those times being an early adopter burns you!

cheers

jeff

This might well be my first Modemo train.

For those of you thinking of reserving this puppy, BIGMAN has it at 24% off RRP.

Edit: several people have reminded me that this order claims it only ships to Japan.  This is not actually the case.  BIGMAN ships internationally and I've had two orders from him in the last 6 months.  Shipping price is confirmed at the time the item is shipped.  Your credit card will not be debited until the item is ready to ship.  For new customers, here's how you proceed:

1. Select "Add to Cart";

2. When you get the message about local shipping did you set up a shipping service? click "Yes, proceed to checkout";

3.  Fill out the "Guest Checkout" section.  You will see the country option is available because BIGMAN ships internationally.

Alternatively, you can create an account as I have done, with your international shipping address and then use the Member Checkout section.  I hope this extra information clears up a few things.

Edit: Edit:  BIGMAN doesn't take PayPal.  The only ship EMS with tracking and signature required !!!  That said, I'm finding their service very reliable and competitive.  If there is something they don't have listed I usually ask (as I did for the Modemo 20000) and they usually create a pre-order or order item just for me.

Cheers

The_Ghan

Thanks a lot to all of you.

I guess I give Modemo another chance. I like hypnotic color scheme of the odakyu type....

Have a great weekend!

keitaro,

The power car is car 5.  Interesting to see if only one bogey is powered.  Hopefully both bogeys are fitted with power pickups.

Cheers

The_Ghan

keitaro,

The power car is car 5.  Interesting to see if only one bogey is powered.  Hopefully both bogeys are fitted with power pickups.

Cheers

The_Ghan

Yeah I think the guy is talking crap applying torque to only 1 bogie on a large set just sounds retarded.

Its OK for single trams or dmu I guess