little walls on tomix double track

tgv_obsessed

tgv_obsessed

I'm sorry if this is a question that has been asked before, but i have been looking at creating a double oval with tomix double track, with curves 1163 (radius 428/465). as i live in the uk i will have to import- i dont mind that, but my question is:

on any pictures I can see on the web this track appears to have little walls and a paving section attached to it. is this removable? as i worry that it will look too different from other track sections

sorry if there is an obvious answer or if i should have asked this in the tomix sticky thread at the top of the forum

Its viaduct track. Those walls are fixed and made out of ABS plastic.  It would be very hard to cut. Only the side walls on Fine Track Wide PC Track are removable / changeable. But Wide PC Track doesn't come in that radius.  I have some of all these pieces of track.

tgv_obsessed

thank you so much for the info!

a further question arises then- 2 questions

1) can it be rested on the worktop flat or does it require supports

and

2) how does it look attached to points or single track sections- i can only seem to find pictures of double slab track attached to single pieces

CaptOblivious

Actually, the wide pc rail DOES come in 280/315 radius now! Saw lots of it in Japan last fall!

It has optional siderails, so removing it is a nonissue. Linkage to follow later unless someone else beats me to it. It is superelevated too, if you like that.

Actually, the wide pc rail DOES come in 280/315 radius now! Saw lots of it in Japan last fall!

??? ???  The question was about 428/465 radius.  Did I miss something?

tgv_obsessed

yes the 428/465 radius.

i love the tabletop natire of japanese layouts, and i love the kato tgv and other european trains, and am going to combine the two with tomix track- its the slips and curved points that have swayed my decision, the only possible alternative is minitrix and thats so damn expensive (in the uk at least) and it isnt pre ballasted (flieschmann track doesnt have enough correcting small sections to make the geometry work properly- it does in HO but that would need a big table!, and anyway I have some trains and some track and buildings in N)

I presume the idea of the viaduct double tracks is to start them at ground level and use them as the elevated section? if they are purely a seperate oval on top how does one connect to them? thats why i'd like to know if they look ok connected to normal track

All types of Tomix track can be connected.  You can use wpc track which is of a similar width for your ground track, or you can use regular stock track. I have seen viaduct rails used on the ground before.  

http://www.tomytec.co.jp/tomix/world/finetrack/rail_wpc.htm

http://www.tomytec.co.jp/tomix/world/finetrack/rail_double.htm

Viaduct track

Tomix wide PC

Japanese  on-the-floor temporary layouts.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BFFTBOpy1uo&list=PLAB3F376B4095CD6A&index=2&feature=plpp_video

• Like 1
CaptOblivious

??? ???  The question was about 428/465 radius.   Did I miss something?

Nope, I was! Sorry for injecting confusion.