US customs slowing?

rpierce000

We have seen US customs slowing in clearing packages the last 6-8 weeks, has anyone else experienced this?

It used to take 1-2 days, now it is routinely taking a WEEK! These are SAL packages and they are NOT opening them. The ones they open are clearly marked as such. Those are actually FASTER! (Go figure that one out!)

I would love to hear anyone else's stories...

Bob

Bob,

When I send items to the US now I have to pay an extra $9 X-Ray fee.  So the Dr Yellow I shipped to Webskipper last month has probably been x-rayed.  Could this be slowing things down?

Cheers

The_Ghan

Last couple of sals in the last month or so have been right on the usual 2 weeks. Are you sure its customs? How can you tell that with sal?

Jeff

bikkuri bahn

SAL likely gets low priority, so may be alot sitting still in some warehouse, with all the cost cutting.  The ones that are pulled for xray (random?) get moved right along.  Can't expect much more from USPS, are they still in business btw- when I last went back, the local PO was shrunk from a proper 1960's JFK era facility to a mailboxes etc. type storefront operation.

Yes, I know where they get stuck unless the tracking system is lying. I guess they COULD just be lazy about tracking or running them through X-Rays or Dirty bomb scanners.

The guy I get all the stuff from has bought a Geiger counter, the stuff he ships to the EU (not trains) is REQUIRED to have a reading on it because of the accident! The trains have all been clean, it is VERY hard to irradiate plastic, the only thing to worry about are the lead weights. I guess it will be like Katrina automobiles, they will show up sooner or later.

I didn't think you could get tracking with sal. Is it an option or something you always get on the Japan side. I wonder if it's like the us customs I'd number that gets you a little international tracking.

Irradiation from the accident contamination isn't going to cause radiation its mainly going to come from radioactive materials getting in or on stuff.

Jeff

That is a new one, when do you pay it? At the PO?

Bob

Yes Bob,

You can check the pricing yourself on the AusPost website.  Simply select United States and 2.0kg and Continue.  You will see a note appear about a $9 security surcharge.

BTW, postage has gone up about 20% since I sent the Dr Yellow to Webskipper in January.

Cheers

The_Ghan

According to USCG via ALCOAST in January, our sister agency, the United States Customs Service has been required as of 1.JAN to increase hand inspection of items under #25 by 50% per a new DHS mandate on all items arriving as air cargo. While not part of the new mandate, the United States Customs Service has been directed by DHS to perform additional screening of all items from Japan as part of the situation regarding contamination from Fukushima-Daiichi. (Typical over reaction)

Well, UPS can get stuff through fast!

We got a "deal" from UPS air so that for one month we got six boxes from UPS air for LESS than SAL (not much less, but less...)

The incredible thing is that they BEAT EMS for speed. It left Japan on Tuesday and arrived today.  Now they moved it via Portland, OR so they may have their "own" inspectors to expeidte the process. All I know is that I may take up UPS air as my primary carrier for rush items instead of EMS.

The skids still come by sea!

Bob

question is what will their prices be after the intro promo? UPS use to ream me big time from canada to the us from a few equipment suppliers who would only use them. their custom fees were really high at the time, fedex turned out to be a bit better, but always amazed me at the shipping prices with our next door nafta neighbor!

jeff

Bob

Yes Bob,

You can check the pricing yourself on the AusPost website.  Simply select United States and 2.0kg and Continue.  You will see a note appear about a $9 security surcharge.

BTW, postage has gone up about 20% since I sent the Dr Yellow to Webskipper in January.

Cheers

The_Ghan

Beware the AQIS and Customs are getting a bit edgey and are going to scan through all packages in and out of Australia due to the two Drug busts in Asia.

Bob

Yes Bob,

Cheers

The_Ghan

Beware the AQIS and Customs are getting a bit edgey and are going to scan through all packages in and out of Australia due to the two Drug busts in Asia.

... not to mention the gun smugglers who ran the Sylvania Waters franchise of Australia Post and were arrested last week ...  :cool: ... apparently, the mail guns must get through!!!  :cool:  :cool:  :cool:

Cheers

The_Ghan