Which magazine?

Nick_Burman

Nick_Burman

Hi all,

Of lately I've been posessed of a strange condition, which could be described as MRMAS - Model Railway Magazine Abstinence Syndrome. In short, I've developed a craving to subscribe to a model railway magazine. I used to subscribe to Continental Railway Modeller until a credit card snafu cut it short. Now I'm mulling what to subcribe - I'm interested in narrow gauge, shortlines, traction (to use the US term) and "foreign" railways. I'm mulling subscribing to the PDF version of "Voie Libre", however I would like to get more suggestions. Magazines with PDF editions are a plus, as I'm living away from home and don't want to be saddled with magazines to store (and to carry back).

Cheers NB

As a rule nothing published is generally right on my interests.A magazine just tends to be railroad oriented reading.  So I spend my time on the internet finding material of interest.

Model Railroader Hobbyist is PDF and a free download. But it is tied to the device you use.

http://model-railroad-hobbyist.com/magazine

A review:

http://www.polyweb.com/dans_rr/blog/index.php/archives/220

It's probably not right on your interest, since it's focused on North American narrow gauge. But it goes further afield at times (the current issue has articles on the Carribean, Mexico and New Zealand): Narrow Gauge and Shortline Gazette. It's every-other-month, but with a lot of content.  They are, however, paper-only.

It's one of the few magazines I pick up regularly at my LHS (I don't tend to subscribe to magazines; for some reason I stop reading them if they show up in the mailbox, but if I pick one up I'm interested enough to read them cover-to-cover). Great photos and lots of info for scratchbuilding.

Continental Modeller (which apparently does have a digital version) has a much better selection of international (primarily but not exclusively European) railways and models. I started reading that last year and I've been stuck on it ever since.

The same electronic-publishing firm also has a Narrow Gauge World magazine on its roster, which appears to have a British focus, but I've never seen a print copy of that, so I don't know anything more about it.

I've just subscribed to the digital version of Continental Modeller. I used to pick it up regularly from the newsagents but I haven't seen an issue for almost a year now. They are the only model railway magazine I can think of that has truly worldwide coverage.

Nick_Burman

Thanks for the suggestions. I already subscribe to MRH but I just skim across it as I'm off US-prototype modelling. I used to be (web-) pal with its NG editor for whom I cooked an extensive article (almost a booklet!) about a Brazilian 2' gauge road, however the poor guy has been diagnosed with (what seems to be) terminal cancer. I need to get Joe Fugate's ear and ask him if he still wants the article.

Nice to know that CM has gone digital, I always liked that magazine, good editorial standards. Has "Railway Modeller" also gone digital? I also liked "Narrow Gauge World", the latest issue even has a pen-and-ink drawing of an 8620 on the turntable... maybe I'll take a subscription for all three! :grin

Cheers NB

Nick, the two magazines I get regularly are Continental Modeller and Narrow Gauge World. I can recommend them both. While NGW does have a lot of UK content, it also features NG railways from all over the world. I've never been disappointed by an issue. But I only get hard copies of both mags, so I can't comment about digital versions.

I'll tak a wild guess and say that the 2' gauge Brazilian railway is the  Perus-Pirapora Railroad? I'd love to see an article on that!  :grin

Cheers,

Mark.

Nick_Burman

Mark,

Thanks again. How did you guess? :grin :grin Yes, and it came out a brick - and I need to update it again, as the other day I had a long exchange over the history of a particular tender tank...it served two locomotives in its lifetime, both of which still survive...one them in Wales! It ran (actually it is still running...) to over 60 messages and involved persons in Brazil, Germany, UK, Australia, Canada and the US! Oh, how wonderful is the internet... :grin

Cheers NB

• Like 1

Nick it was a lucky guess - I was reading an old issue of Locomotives International that had an article on that line a few days ago.  I had no idea there were any ex-Brazilian engines in Wales. Do tell us more!

Cheers,

Mark.

Nick_Burman

Nick it was a lucky guess - I was reading an old issue of Locomotives International that had an article on that line a few days ago.  I had no idea there were any ex-Brazilian engines in Wales. Do tell us more!

Cheers,

Mark.

Mark,

The loco in question is BLW 15511, a 60cm gauge 2-6-0 built for the Mogiana Railway where it ran first as #26, then as #10. When the branch line it ran on closed it was sold to a sugar mill in Pernambuco state (Usina Santa Theresinha de Goiana) where it was regauged to 750mm and set to work for another few decades hauling sugar cane. In the 1980's the mill dismantled the railway and the loco was sold to a director of the Festiniog Railway who brought the loco back to the UK and had it stored at Minfford goods yard. He started working on her but for "n" reasons he had to sell the loco which passed into the hands of the Brecon Mountain Railway. She is now being slowly restored - last time I talked to them her tender was almost ready for painting, however the engine itself was a long way off from completion.

Cheers NB

Martijn Meerts

The JNS Magazine would rock, the lack of time of those involved is a bit of a problem though =)

What is Kato N Archives? Another Catalog?

Picture below shows a C57 on a Kato Turntable.

It's a catalog of sorts. A listing of all items made by Kato in the past.

The turntable is the Fleischmann one which was marketed in Japan by Kato at one time. I have a Fleischmann version on an N-TRAK module, it is a nice turntable but, like anything with the Fleischmann name on it, grossly overpriced, I paid $350 it on a bargain table at a train show 15 years ago.