A newbies first layout

mwsteele

Mudkip Orange

Depends on what part of Japan you're modeling.

Kanto, Kansai, in between? Everything's going to be doubletrack. Kintetesu is doubletrack all the way to Nara. Hokuriku line is doubletrack all the way to the split (where the up line drops down steep and the down line ascends spiral tunnels).

On the other hand, Hokkaido, branch lines heading south past Kobe... those'll all be single track.

Heading to the hobby store right now to get some more track gotta play around with it and see what i like might just do a big oval for the bullet trains then have a seperate track inside for smaller commuter and freight trains i think this would be possible with the pictures ive see about stuff

Are you still looking for some input on track plan and scenery? I´d need the dimensions of your train table to help you.

Mudkip Orange

might just do a big oval for the bullet trains then have a seperate track inside for smaller commuter and freight trains i think this would be possible with the pictures ive see about stuff

This is a definite possibility. If you get the V16 set with the R447/R480 curves, literally every other piece of track that Kato makes will turn around inside of it.

Mudkip Orange
Do you know the diameter of those curves to make a 180 degree turn? As long as it's less than 36" I will be fine...

It is unfortunately not. The V16 (R447/R480) turns around in 39", so it's too wide.

On the other hand, the V11 (R414/381) could be just what the doc ordered. That one turns around in 33.5".

Almost every radius of Kato singletrack will turn around inside the V11, and almost certainly every radius that you'd actually use - the R381's only come in a 30-degree section so they're less versatile.

I bought a couple things on my last visit to the hobby store. Some single track that was 30 degrees instead of 45. It still looks a little weird when it turns but not too bad.

Also I got this:

IMG_0982.jpg

It's a tomytec portram with the motors in it.  Bought it for $40 Canadian! Couldn't pass that up!

Here are a couple other pics showing the detail on this:

IMG_0983.jpg

IMG_0984.jpg

I particularly like this one. You can see the detail on the door where it says entrance. The other doors say exit.

IMG_0985.jpg

And just another to show the articulation.

Now I have to get some of the unitram track!

Also I want a kato tram the one with the interesting paint job.

This one here.

http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10141566

Here's a question for everyone.

I want to run my high speed train track around the edge of my table with unitram and normal track inside.

Do you think it would be better elevated all the way around or just at the back or a certain spot?

Krackel Hopper

I would do what works best for you!

The only concern I see with elevated track at the front of the layout is that it might obstruct the views of everything behind it.  As long as it doesn't block your view, or draw too much attention that you're not looking at the rest of the layout, I would say it's perfectly fine to run elevated at the front.

Do what you want, but if you are looking for a prototype tram lines end at elevated Shinkansen lines in Toyohashi, Okayama, Hiroshima, and Nagasaki trams pass by the station.

I find it had to see this stuff in my head if I can't have the physical product. My plan for my layout now stands that I will be running a high speed train ring right around the table. On the left end of the table will be a city area or at least a smaller town with a small tram that goes around the center.

I don't plan on modeling after real life at all. then in the rest of the area I will make a smaller single line for commuter and freight trains.

My layout is 10'x3' And I will be adding a small L section on the side giving me another 4 feet or so.

Tram terminal under JR Toyohashi station.

Tram station outside JR Nagasaki station with a turnoff for line 3 just past the station.

Stub end tram terminal at JR Hiroshima station.

Nice! I started with the Portram's myself when I got back into hobby after a break and N Scale. I had a question though. Does it not have lights? I thought the Tomytec ones, like the Kato ones had directional lights and interior lights.

Nope:( No lights on this bad boy. But for $40 I can't complain. Ordered the Unitrack system last night and a kato tram. Will do some videos of that once it comes in from HS.

You actually have to buy two pieces for the Tomytec to make it run.

Here is the body.

http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10090248

And here is the motor:

http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10090251

Tramway makes a motor that has lights in it. I wonder if it would fit in the tomytec?

Mudkip Orange

I'd go against viaduct track since it blocks the view of whatever's in the center, as others have said.

V11 set for your Shinkansen plus Portram/R150/183/216/249's for the inside could be a good combo.

• Like 1

Thanks mudkip! I know you mentioned V11, does the whole thing fit in my area? Or do you think I should just buy the track individually and go in a straight oval?

Picked up these from my local hobby shop, got a good deal. I've been having some fun with the switches!

20120329_143641.jpg

20120329_143649.jpg

20120329_143832.jpg

20120329_144102.jpg

And these came in the mail today from Hobby search!

20120402_171805.jpg

20120402_171812.jpg

20120402_171819.jpg

20120402_171937.jpg

I really like the Kato tram. It doesn't go nearly as fast as the Tomytec one though. Anyone know why? Are they just limited or smaller motor due to the inside being furnished?

I'm still putting together all the stuff on the V50. lots of little pieces, can't wait to get everything I need and start to get the landscape down. Tomorrow I'm going to finish my other table so I can get it going. I also ordered a V11, I'm going to see how that works with the V50!

The Tomytec add-in power chassis are generally rockets. They start up and move quickly at very low voltages, compared with Modemo, Kato and other brands -- even compared to regular Tomix powered units. The Kato B-train power chassis are also quicker than average.

Rich K.

Yeah I find that for the Kato I need to bring it up to about half speed or so, maybe more before all the lights stop flickering. I'll take a video of it to make sure that nothing is wrong.

that seems a tad slow for full speed and a bit loud. wondering if theres something in the gears or maybe needs a tiny bit of lubing.

jeff

Some of the loudness is from my Camera mic, and the fact that the room is basically bare. Any idea on how I take it apart to see this?

Not sure how to get into the gears on this at all lol. I removed the shell and everything but not sure where to go from here.