Good Hobby Shops in London

gr8tfuldead

Does anybody know of any good hobby shops in London that offer our kind of fare (Kato, Microace, Tomix, Greenmax, Tomytec, etc. in N scale)? Also, how are prices there? If it's cheaper to buy on-line from Japan and ship to US, then I wouldn't bother trying to track these places down.

Thanks!

Claude_Dreyfus

There's a really simple answer to that...none!

The closest shop to London selling Japanese models in any quantity is Gaugemaster in Sussex. In fairness, you will struggle to find any model shops of any note in London.

Claude I just noticed on the map that you live pretty close to Gaugemaster?  I actually took the effort the last time i was in the UK for business and took the Southern lines train (I think it was Southern lines, my memory on these things is not so good) down to Ford.  I have to say - at least for me - it was one of the coolest little side trips I ever took!  Not only did I get a nice little ride on some UK stock (when I travel to the UK, the only 'train' I ever ride is the tube! :laugh:) but I got to see some nice English countryside, and enjoy this neat little country station (Ford) which seems to serve as a stop JUST for Gaugemaster! And it is QUITE a nice shop as well!  The only down side is I got hungry and the local pub or whatever was closed.  :sad:

Anyway, anyone who's got some time to kill in London, I'd highly recommend the train trip (I think it was less than 2 hours one way?) down to Ford for a visit to Gaugemaster...all kinds of stuff from all over!

Claude_Dreyfus

Yes, I live about 10 miles from GM, so for me it is really convenient.

You would have used Southern to get to Ford from London, and would have called at my local station - Pulborough - on the way down. The area south from there until Ford is now a national park, and very attractive. Arundel is visible in the distance and has a large Catholic Cathedral - whic precludes it from being a city - and a large castle...which is very similar in design to Windsor.

Ford has another couple of claims to fame aside from GM. It has a former WW2 airfield, which is now the site of a large open air market, and one of the largest open-air (low security) prisons in the country!

For those interested, it is just under 2 hours each way, and from London Victoria you will need the Bognor Regis/Portsmouth Harbour or Southampton service. Mind you are in the correct part of the train, it splits midway. Ford is served by the Bognor section.

GMs range of Japanese stuff has increased hugely over the last year or so. They have some good stuff...

I have recently come across a really useful shop very close to the City of London - about 5 minutes walk from the Tower of London.

http://www.modelshop.co.uk/

These lot don't do model trains as such, but have a really good range of scenics. They are an architectural supplier, but a major bonus is that one of their main scales is 1/150. Their trees are soemthing really special!

Yes, I live about 10 miles from GM, so for me it is really convenient.

Well, its beautiful countryside Claude!  I recall being astonished at seeing the Castle in Arundal on the way south...wow!  I had forgotten the details of the trip, but your mention of the "Bognor Regis" destination totally created a flash back!  A really memorable day!