Modeling looking for books & resources

cjennin

Hi

This is my first time on this forum. I'm a 3D modeler who makes 3D models on Australian (mostly NSW) locos & carriages as a hobby. I've also have an interest in Japanese emus on the Tokyo & Osaka loop lines (namely the 103 series & the E231). Typically when modeling NSW trains I collect as much details on my subject loco/stock that is available. This would include books, power-sheets, diagrams & lots of photographs (taken myself or collected on the net). There a quite a few books that you have to bid for on ebay that has a collection of stock & loco drawings.

I'm going to Japan in a few months & I want to get a few ideas of what books are available that mainly deal with diagrams & drawings of modern & near modern rail vehicles. Is finding diagrams on the E231 series & some of the shinkansens hard to get because of issues with copyright?

Thanks

BTW: Are there any books that that cover the curve & gradients of JR lines in Japan?

Welcome cjennin,

I can't help you with books, but I can help with links to drawings and diagrams that could be used to make scale models.  Check these threads:

1. Train Car Diagrams

2. CAD Drawings

3. Many Prototype Drawings

As an aside, you haven't by chance built a model of either the CHP Railmotor or the South Coast Daylight as discussed in this thread have you?  They used to run on the Illawarra Line.

Cheers

The_Ghan

• Like 1

Go to the Shosen Grande bookstore in Kanda Jinbocho, Tokyo.  The 6th floor has many railway books.  You won't find plans for the latest rolling stock though, but rather a smattering of old rolling stock plans pre-JR.   People from outside Japan always ask for these plans.  Are plans readily available to the public for modern rolling stock in other countries? Does Alstom or Siemens release scale drawings of their products? All I know in the states are old Car Builders Cyclopedias, and line drawings by the hobby press (typically locomotives).  The issue in Japan is N scale is dominant, and is a mass-produced rtr or kit scale rather than a scratchbuilders scale.  Scratchbuilders are likely more interested in older or more esoteric examples of rolling stock than the latest stuff (understandable, given as they tend to be older folk).

As for line gradient diagrams, these are found in old working timetables (daiya) used by drivers or track maps. Typically only available on internet auctions or perhaps at railwayana shops.  Expect to pay 6000 yen or more for an example.

Shosen bookstore website:

http://www.shosen.co.jp/tenpo/grande.html

Example of a drivers track map, this is the famous Senohachi grade in Hiroshima Pref. that still utilizes pusher operation (middle picture) :

http://blogs.yahoo.co.jp/sakamoto_masutarou/4654062.html

HI again.

Thanks for the links. I especially liked the ones for the cad drawings. Nicely detailed. I'm sure to pay a visit to that book store once I work out the subway system in Toyko. I should have mentioned that I'm going to Osaka as well. Is there any book or model railway stores that are worth a visit?

To The_Ghan. No. I haven't done any models for the CPH or the com-eng budd cars. I've got only a few scraps here & there regarding the budds  in the form of the History com-end books & some photos on the web. Too bad they didn't preserve at least one of them like they did (sort of) for the Tuloch railmotors. Oh well.

Thanks again