Track spacing for Unitrack Yard

inobu

What is the track center spacing you are using inside of your yards?  

9 members have voted

1. 1. What is the track center spacing you are using inside of your yards?

• 33mm
    • 48mm
    • 49.5mm
    • mixture
    • what ever fits

Trying to find out the most common track center spacing used in the yards.  

#4 switches yields 33mm, 33mm

#6 switches yields a 49.5mm, 48mm

These are the first and second rung on the yard ladder.

Inobu

"DOES NOT COMPUTE !!!

Hey inobu,

Interesting topic.  Pity it doesn't cater for the industry standard  :grin ... Tomix spacings of 37mm and 55.5mm.

I'm using 37mm in my yards.  If you can update your poll I shall cast my vote.

Cheers

The_Ghan

33mm would fit more tracks in, 48mm would give more space between tracks for your fingers if you are going to be taking trains on and off the track in the yard or for fixing derailments.

not sure if anyone else does this but i have planned for a rerailer on all my sidings/yards.

If you align them you can make a pretty neat crossing.  Unfortunately I've had mixed results with re-railers ... sometimes they work ... I'd consider the idea only where the yard is on display.

Cheers

The_Ghan

really can you imagine having 8+ sidings under the table with minimal gap between the top layer and having a derailment there.

Any possibility of having a dreailed train rerail is well worth it. I have never known the rerailer to derail trains, only not rerail certain trains with low catchers or certain bogies.

Martijn Meerts

I guess my Peco yard with 26.5mm center to center spacing, hidden underneath the layout isn't very optimal ;)

Then again, with that spacing, even if you could easily reach the derailed train, you'd still have a problem re-railing it if there are trains and both neighboring tracks. As for re-railing tracks, don't think Peco has any, and the Unitrack one I have lifts some wheels so high up, that the loco loses power, but that's a rare occurrence.

48/49.5 looks like sh** but the #6 performs better for less money than the #4... so whatcha gon' do?

One of our club members performed surgery on a couple of #6's to make a 33mm crossover, on the right in the photo.

post-218-13569930320302_thumb.jpg

• Like 1