Tomix catalog to be released in iPhone/iPad format

rpierce000

I do not have details yet, but Tomix was showing a version of their catalog on the iPhone, iPad and other tablets at the Yokohama train show last weekend. I will post more if I find out where you can download them from. This would be a MUCH faster way to get ahold of the catalog AND some of the online translation systems might be able to be applied to it.

I think this is really cool and will also save trees. The downside is that for those who like the paper version, the price for that might go up if the digital version becomes very popular.

Bob

Thanks for the tip off Bob!

Sounds like a great idea ... and I won't have any problems with water damage on a digital catalog!!!  :cool:

Cheers

The_Ghan

Well you could, but then it'll most likely mean the problem was on your side. And if you do, you won't even be able to look at the catalog any more.  :grin

Sounds like a great idea ... and I won't have any problems with water damage on a digital catalog!!!   :cool:

Cheers

The_Ghan

My nephew dropped his iPhone in a swimming pool over Christmas. :grin

The iPad/iPhone versions may only be available on the Japanese iTunes site and I don't see much benefit in getting the catalogs sooner, most of what's in them is stuff we already know about through the miracle of the internet. The most interesting parts of them these days is the pages of next years projected products. I only get them because I still like to sit down and browse through them.

CaptOblivious

Sounds like a great idea ... and I won't have any problems with water damage on a digital catalog!!!   :cool:

Cheers

The_Ghan

The iPad/iPhone versions may only be available on the Japanese iTunes site and I don't see much benefit in getting the catalogs sooner, most of what's in them is stuff we already know about through the miracle of the internet. The most interesting parts of them these days is the pages of next years projected products. I only get them because I still like to sit down and browse through them.

Well, to be fair, the catalogs do pack quite a lot of information on each model, such as consists and routes, that aren't as readily available online as some of us would like. Also, part nos. And large blocks of Japanese text that I just wish I could read…

very interesting! i can see the plusses and the negatives just like all the e reader things. i do love browsing thru the traditional catalogs, something very zen about it! but the ipad is so convenient to read stuff and browse around and the ability to have sooo much on it is amazing. having a tomix catalog to flip thru while sitting in the postal line would be nice at times!

be interesting to see what the cost is. the killer for the printed is the shipping is almost as much as the catalog even sal! over the years i have found that i really dont look at them that much compared to the price. i actually get more enjoyment for the buck out of some of the japanese model magazines, but thats me. i do find the tiny tomix parts catalog is really handy as it is a fast way to find stuff and its cheap and cheap to ship!

I must admit my wife and i dropped the NY Times paper subscription for just the e-subscription and its been fine. we both have ipads now and it works wonderfully.

cheers

jeff

ps i still think Ghans kato catalog was warped up because he was just uncontrollably drooling over it right after he got it! they dont call them drool mags for nothing.

(warning:  philosophical waxing ahead)

I admit I'm a techno-dork and tend to be an early adopter for tech (I guess that's a fall-out from my day job).  I have found that for travel, I like books and magazines on the iPad or Kindle.  Saves on wear and tear of the shoulder.  However, I'm a paper junkie as well.  I love having a little bit of time on trips to find a non-chain bookstore that has that old paper musty smell that only an old bookstore has.

I was pretty excited when Model Railroader started offering their magazine on the iPad this month.  Signed up.  Got it.  Not crazy about it.  Don't get me wrong, it's done extremely well.  It's excellent.  But there was something to be said about plunking down in the easy chair in the family room after work or after dinner with an adult beverage and a magazine (or book, or catalog) with all its tactile goodness.  And with Nik, huddling on the family room floor with a paper catalog (even one we can't read) provides a time together and bonding I can't get with an LCD panel.

So, dork as I am, I think it's great that the catalogs may come out in E-form (maybe we can cut and paste all that great text into an online translator and read it now), but I'll end up with both paper and e-catalog.

(Ok, wax off now)

i do totally agree with you. there are the times you want that the print in your hands not on a screen! Books are sacred items to me, i have way to many book cases already in the house and still boxes in the basement! its really hard to let go of them. i try each year to thin some to make room for the new...

there is that nice feeling of leafing through something.

i still find i dont quite get the same level of interest i use to out of the catalogs though, but thats just me...

jeff

Best place for an iPhone .... buy him a Samsung Galaxy SII ... it's the iPhone killer.

Cheers

The_Ghan

I hope they make a version for my Windows phone.

But I'll still get the paper version. There's something I like about a bookshelf full of train books and catalogs.

Books are sacred items to me, i have way to many book cases already in the house and still boxes in the basement! its really hard to let go of them.

When we had our basement finished, I had one entire wall made into built-in bookshelves.  Every time I get something in digital format my lovely wife asks if that means I can get rid of the paper.  hahahahaha. 

Martijn Meerts

I recently donated a whole lot of books to the local 2nd hand store. There's a lot of them I read only once, and in that case it's easier to buy them in digital format. I always have my iPad with me on the train, so I don't need to carry extra weight of a book. It's really nice not having to carry The Tale of Genji around for example ;)

I do like paper catalogs, but I wouldn't mind a digital only version.

I recently got Model Railroader and Trains magazine collections on DVD so all my old paper copies going back to the 60's are heading for the recycling bin to clear up storage space.

Just in case for someone missed the news.(I did)

TOMIX released the catalog on May 31. It cost 900 yen, half price compare with paper version. However, you have to use an itune account registered for JAPAN to buy it.

arrrg! we have to have them get it on the us itunes. you cant combine japan and us itunes accounts on devices unfortunately. big issue with apple's protection system.

at 900 yen i can see getting catalogs again. with the hefty shipping they just were not getting the use for me for the cost to keep getting the latest all the time. also take up room over the years!

jeff

foxhsu,

are you sure you can load onto the same device from two itunes accounts? a friend who moved back from japan is still dealing with trying to deal with her two accounts. ill ask her whats been the solution. it was a mess.

jeff

I like having an entire catalog in my pocket, but I'm getting to be an old fart, would would rather just have a printed copy. Anycase, it's unlikely to be released out side of the Japanese iTunes anyway.

Yes, I am sure. I have several Japan games(Densha Go)and the catalog on my iPad already. The only problem is finding a way to purchase Japan iTunes point.

no word for android yet :) but they do have the plarail one up for download for free so I assume some time soon!