Sydney, Australia - JNS Forum members drinks afternoon.

The_Ghan

Or you could call it the AJMRG Sydney Div.. (Australian Japanese Model Railway Group - Sydney Div) As we Melbourne members would like to have contacts via all states and Territories of Australia. Plus we have the N scale conference in Melbourne April 2013.

I think the Ghan is right - we're better off keeping things casual. And as a dedicated HO scale modeller I probably wouldn't be able to contribute much to an N scale group. But thanks for thinking of us!

Cheers,

Mark.

The pub we were at had Kirin on tap.  :grin

Ha!  Didja think I'd take you to just any old pub?   :grin

Cheers

The_Ghan

Shame it was the locally brewed type though :(

When you go to japan later this year (or should i say IF?) you will notice the beer tastes different. I don't think your taste buds will remember back 20 years :P

shame you won't be in jpn in august though could have invited you both to help harvest the rice field BAHAHAHA

Or just go somewhere like up to catch the yamaguchi SL.

its kind of like the sticky rice ball game!

What's that?

Cheers,

Mark.

cant remember the name of it but one of the best video games ever. you simply maneuver a sticky rice ball around a house and pick up all sorts of things. as the ball gets bigger it might get off balance or out of round depending on what you picked up. very simple but fun and pleasing game!

jeff

actually almost never play video games myself, saw this one at matthew's house, they picked it up when they were living in japan a few years back and it was quite entertaining. actually one of those games that would be great fun for only 5 minutes or a longer game, thats rare. its just cute how you keep picking up various odd items and i think you can play it on a few scales. just drew up the mental pictures of it rolling around picking up a few aussies with beer and trains in hand!

my deepest indulgence in games is a quick few hands of solitaire or 5 minutes of pinball on the ipad now and then...

worse now with the kitchen remodel started this week!

jeff

Martijn Meerts

Sounds like Katamari Damaci, except there you create a ball of whatever you come across in the game world. Not limited to a rice ball and a house :)

thats it! i only got to play it for like 10 minutes and did not get into all the other aspects of the game. was a fun 10 minutes though, quite creative in how all the bits you pick up animate and have sound effects as they get rolled over and bumped  into things.

jeff

Well,

I've found another member here in Sydney ... john_ibw ...

John and I have exchanged a few PMs over the last year regarding DCC and I had no idea he was even an Aussie.  I thought he was in India ... and he was!  However, it seems John is taking a few months out from having his snake charmed, to spend some time in Sydney having his boomerang straightened ...  :cool: ... So, as John plans to head back to India end April / early May, I'm thinking it's time for another piss-up drinks night!  What do you guys think?  I propose:

Date: Friday, April 13th 2012

Time: 6:00pm (that's 18:00 on the CityRail timetable)

Location: Central Station, north end of Platform 1, exactly where we met last time

John: I figure your last few weeks here will be pretty hectic anyway, so it's better to keep the date early-mid April.

keitaro: Do you know if there are any shows on around that time?  I'm happy to change to meet at a show if there's one on.

Mark: Happy to do something with real trains if there is an event on around that time.

Remember ANZAC Day holiday on Wednesday 25th April.

Let me know what you guys think.

Cheers

The_Ghan

definately up for it i'll have a look about for a show but drinks sounds great. now if we can get Mark in as well again we will have 4 rounds of beer  :grin

still have to check the calendar when i get home just incase.

Date: Friday, April 13th 2012

Time: 6:00pm (that's 18:00 on the CityRail timetable)

Location: Central Station, north end of Platform 1, exactly where we met last time

Thanks The_Ghan. I will be there!

John: I figure your last few weeks here will be pretty hectic anyway, so it's better to keep the date early-mid April.

In fact, I am free almost all weekday evenings and weekends. Quite flexible and happy to meet anytime. No notice needed either :)

Hey John and Mark,

Just confirming drinks on Friday 13th.  Meet at platform 1, Central Station, Sydney as per first post @ 6:00pm.

Cheers

The_Ghan

The_Ghan and I went looking for Japanese beer last evening and didn't find any. That apart, we had a chance to share our experiences in life in general and of the hobby. Which was non-stop talking for a few hours and a few imported beers long! Sorry to have missed mark and keitaro as I may not be in Sydney after April to meet in person again. But, I can hope to be back and catch up sometime in the future! :)

Cheers!

Yuh John,

It was a great night.  I promise you, that pub was selling Kirin beer on tap just a month or so ago.

Cheers

The_Ghan