JRM Event Calendar

cteno4

thought i would just start a main thread for our shows to reduce the number of threads on this sort of stuff.

JRM will be showing the full layout Feb 4&5, 2011 at the Great Scale Model Train Show in Timonium MD Fairgrounds.

http://www.gsmts.com/a_datesplaces.html

if you are in the area come on by and say hello and bring a japanese train to run on the layout! this will be our 18th display at GSMTS in the last 7 years!

cheers

jeff

• Like 1

thats great, look forward to seeing you guys! perhaps we can grab some dinner or a coffee after the show if folks dont have to run.

jeff

JRM At BSA Troop 964 Annual Train Show

JRM will be showing either the JRM layout or Japanese TTrak modules at the BSA Troop 964 annual train show in Manassas, VA March 10 (10a-5p) and 11 (11a - 5p). This year the train show's theme will be japanese as the troop is supporting Troop 2, Japan in the devistated Iwate region of Japan.

more information on the show can be found here:

http://www.troop964.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=section&layout=blog&id=10&Itemid=12

cheers

jeff

Great News! JRM Layout will be at the 2012 National Cherry Blossom Festival's Sakrua Matsuri

The JRM layout bill be displayed for the fourth year in a row at the Sakura Matsuri steet festival at the 2012 National Cherry Blossom Festival in Washington DC April 14th, 2012, from 11am - 6pm. This one day event is a wonderful celebration of Japanese culture and the Washington Cherry Blossoms! This year marks the 100 year anniversary of gift of the cherry trees to Washington DC from Tokyo, Japan.

more info on the festival here: http://sakuramatsuri.org

cheers

jeff

Martijn Meerts

So Jeff, you have any space in the guest room for a certain Dutch guy.. I can bring some more of those cookies and dark chocolate =)

sure i think so, just have not planned out that far yet. you seriously thinking of coming again?! thought the house broke the piggy bank!

let me know if you are seriously thinking of this and i can see if we have any other plans around that time going on.

cheers

jeff

Martijn Meerts

I'm definitely considering heading over again yes. Obviously I have less cash available now than last year, but I have some saved up. Just can't go buy another Macbook Air =)

I'll check ticket prices around April 14, see what it costs this time.

edit: KLM is 533 euro (about 700 USD) for a return ticket, direct flight.. That's even cheaper than last year =)

I seriously doubt it and we have not gotten any word the Sakuri Matsuri has been changed. I think there is no way they could change the whole festival schedule as its so big with all the events. it is going to probably mean fewer folks may make it into events w/o blossoms as i expect they will be gone. a few smaller events might be able to shift, but i even doubt that as its a pretty big choreographed affair by the city.

they did not even change the metro track maintenance schedule when the viewing time shifted by a few weeks here as that was scheduled far in advance and could not be changed.

Its a crap shoot every year with the blossoms and weather. some years the blossoms happened very fast and then we would have a storm and 90% of the blossoms would be gone.

its too bad the blossom peak is not in the middle of the festival this year with it being 100th anniversary, but theres lots of stuff to do with the festivals and then theres all the dc tourism stuff which many visitors do as well if they come in for cherry blossom time.

the really sad thing is that this year's artist for the festival image/poster is peter max. his stuff was sad in the 70s... its really awful this is the best art we can come up with for the 100th! i mean of all times to have some reflection of the japan/us connection this is the year. really is not japanese at all. it looks like someone pushed for something of a japanese style in the blossom in the center, but then thats totally out of synch with the rest of the pop art on the poster. im sorry, pop art has no soul, its graphics, not art. sigh, someone just chose for their name...

cheers

jeff

Well, in a way, the cherry blossoms are in peak bloom during the festival. this year the committee decided to make the festival run five weeks!! sadly the Sakura Matsuri will miss the peak bloom by a good three weeks. Luckily the festival started on the first day of spring at the onset of the peak.

Sadly, every day this week, and during the four days of peak bloom it has been heavy fog turning to strong overcast all day. Not very good for sakura shashinki. (Kills me too, as this is my Super Bowl) On the plus side, I did end up with 81 keepers out of 400 shots, sadly, this will be a pastel year instead of a vivid year.  :bs: