E331

Guest ___

CaptOblivious

A JRF DE10 hauling JRE electric commuter cars. Not something you see every day. What line is that livery? I presume (perhaps wrongly) that the E331 is an AC-only version of the E231? (Since the E531 is the multi-voltage version, I deduce that the 3- indicates AC only?)

Nope, I was wrong. DC-only. And it's for the Keio line.

Interesting find!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/E331_series

As you may know then, that's the only one of it's kind. It rides on bogies. It's also a test bed unit that had officially entered revenue service recently. They allowed it a few years ago to run for a week, strangely enough in revenue service, then it was withdrawn for a year for further testing. As I hear it, the plan is to order several sets for the Keiyo (sp) Line and some for the Yamanote line, but they will have a front end similar to the E233.

The design of the E331 looks very similar to the new Long Island RR cars. Not surprising because I believe they were designed in Japan. The LIRR cars are having lots of problems though, the sides are tapered inward and therefore create gaps between the cars and the platform where many people have been seriously hurt.

The design of the E331 looks very similar to the new Long Island RR cars. Not surprising because I believe they were designed in Japan. The LIRR cars are having lots of problems though, the sides are tapered inward and therefore create gaps between the cars and the platform where many people have been seriously hurt.

Fascinating differences between N.American passenger trains and the rest of the world. I remember in Ireland for example there were not just huge gaps between the platforms and the cars, but elevation differences too even on high platform boarding between all the rolling stock. Same with Scotland's system as well. I have also had to step up or over gaps while boarding JR trains in Kyoto.

CaptOblivious

And in St Louis, I can't help but wonder how they manage not to scrape their LRVs up on the concrete platforms: The gap is never more than about a centimeter!

And in St Louis, I can't help but wonder how they manage not to scrape their LRVs up on the concrete platforms: The gap is never more than about a centimeter!

German engineering for ya. Those Seimens-Duange SD400's were good LRV's. We have thee sister fleet back in my hometown of Pittsburgh.

CaptOblivious

German engineering for ya. Those Seimens-Duange SD400's were good LRV's. We have thee sister fleet back in my hometown of Pittsburgh.

They are---quiet and smooth, smoother than any Japanese train I've ridden, in fact. (But the seats could be better.) But I swear y'all hide yours. Every time I'm in Pittsburgh, I try to find them, and fail…

You mean these cars by Kawasaki?

http://www.khi.co.jp/sharyo/pro_final/pro_lirr_e.html

You got C cars, TT cars and T cars.   ;D

A JRF DE10 hauling JRE electric commuter cars.

Actually you see this quite often when EMUs are being delivered or removed on retirement. I must have seen a dozen or more videos in the last year.  Just got to be in the right place at the right time and have good contacts.

Fascinating differences between N.American passenger trains and the rest of the world. I remember in Ireland for example there were not just huge gaps between the platforms and the cars, but elevation differences too even on high platform boarding between all the rolling stock. Same with Scotland's system as well. I have also had to step up or over gaps while boarding JR trains in Kyoto.

You find platform gaps in Japan too.  Check out Tobu's Asakusa station sometime.

http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=m7nxApoQMA8&feature=related

http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=vjutU_fMDRY

They are---quiet and smooth, smoother than any Japanese train I've ridden, in fact. (But the seats could be better.) But I swear y'all hide yours. Every time I'm in Pittsburgh, I try to find them, and fail…

Our SD400's are in really bad shape. They were seriously neglected or years. A friend of mine, Mike Cook who use to run them got so frustrated over the trolleys being bad ordered because mnt would debate over who was going to replace a headlight, that the entire unit was bad ordered for a light. I recall later on he transfered over to the Collier bus garage and went back to buses cause he was so tired of it all. Anycase, by the time the new CAF trolleys arrived a few years ago, most of the SD's were in such bad shape that they sit in the yard at South Hills Village. Between the weather, the topography and indifference by PAT's mnt department, it's a testament to the SD400's design to last this long.

You find platform gaps in Japan too.  Check out Tobu's Asakusa station sometime.

http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=m7nxApoQMA8&feature=related

http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=vjutU_fMDRY

Funny, I got in to a major argument with Dick xxxxx over this years ago who protested the fact that gaps could humanly exist between the platforms and the trains. He didn't believe me.