Layout idea - Help wanted!

Sir Madog

Martijn Meerts

Ullrich, there's a thread here: http://www.jnsforum.com/index.php/topic,5159.0.html

The measurements aren't 100% correct anymore, the table is going to be about 40cm shorter because of a slanting roof on 1 side of the room.

Going for a large station (16 car trains :)) in a city setting and a smaller, main-line station (where expresses don't stop), with a few local/urban stops here and there. The city should also have a tram running though it. There's also going to be a large (removable) hidden storage yard, and hopefully a steam servicing area.

I'm re-drawing the large station right now, since I have some fairly specific ideas for interesting movement of trains there, but that's really also the only area I have specific ideas for ;)

Using Peco code 55 for the train tracks, probably Tomix for the tram tracks, the whole lot will be DCC and computer controlled.

I would remove the corner dividers and just leep the front/back one.

Use scenic elements; hills, overpass, tunnels etc to transition from one scene to the next.

• Like 1

Madog,

If you don't mind, I might get you to review my design in coming weeks.

Cheers

The_Ghan

Your are welcome!

I again changed a few things, incorporating some of the ideas I got from you guys. The design is now entering the final stage - hopefully.

Here it is:

ENTWURFH1a-1.jpg

Getting to like it more and more!

Just a small suggestion.... on your far right you have a curved bridge.... since your using uni-track (as I am)... you might consider "transforming" curved viaduct uni-track into a curved bridge.... someone here suggested it to me and it works great.... g-luck

I would remove the corner dividers and just leep the front/back one.

I quite like the idea of the corner dividers, so I would keep them.

Cheers,

Mark.

Tops!  Tops!  Tops!

I agree with Mark.  Keep the corner dividers.  I'm thinking they should be quite tall and support some overhead lighting.  The background poster scenery could really make this layout a winner.

Cheers

The_Ghan

Just a small suggestion.... on your far right you have a curved bridge.... since your using uni-track (as I am)... you might consider "transforming" curved viaduct uni-track into a curved bridge.... someone here suggested it to me and it works great.... g-luck

How did you do that? Any pictures?

Mudkip Orange

Why does every track plan always have that same circa-1992 deodorant spokesman standing there with a handheld throttle?

It's not realistic, because:

(i) we're all fatter than that, and/or else have less hair.

(ii) the people that (i) doesn't apply to would never be caught dead wearing a sweater over a collared shirt.

Sir M.

Here is a pict of the my uni-track curved viaduct being used as a plate girder bridge... It still needs green paint but so far....

I had to groove the surrounding pink foam to accomodate the deep V in the bottom of the viaduct (so that it sits flush). This lead to the clearance from the top of the lower track blue engine to the bottom of the deep V being very tight. It fits just barely.

I may dremel grind off the deep V for more clearance below.... but I have bigger mountains to climb or um build first...

my 2nd pict shows the  "deep V" below the viaduct (that i may remove)

post-780-13569930154318_thumb.jpg

post-780-1356993015467_thumb.jpg

Why does every track plan always have that same circa-1992 deodorant spokesman standing there with a handheld throttle?

It's not realistic, because:

(i) we're all fatter than that, and/or else have less hair.

(ii) the people that (i) doesn't apply to would never be caught dead wearing a sweater over a collared shirt.

... because I scanned that guy from a Model Railroader page and put him in - just to give me an indication of the size of the layout. And it´s not me in me younger days!

I like that bloke in the picture ... it does give a sense of scale.

Cheers

The_Ghan

He appears to be about 3 foot across the shoulders. :icon_biggrin:

I like that bloke in the picture ... it does give a sense of scale.

Cheers

The_Ghan

He appears to be about 3 foot across the shoulders. :icon_biggrin:

No Frosty, you misread the bar scale.  They are 1/2 foot squares.  The layout is only 6 foot long.

Cheers

The_Ghan

For the time being, I´ll leave the plan as it is. I will do some research on buildings and other bric-a-brac to get a good picture of what is waiting for me in financial terms. I am running on a really tight budget, which does not mean I won´t be going for it!

What's to change Madog ... that layout is perfect.

Can I expect your usual spectacular standard of scenery modelling sometime soon?

Cheers

The_Ghan

What's to change Madog ... that layout is perfect.

Can I expect your usual spectacular standard of scenery modelling sometime soon?

Cheers

The_Ghan

Sometime - yes, soon - I guess, no!

I am out of a job for three years now and living off welfare is no fun. I was able to do some model railroading thanks a generous gift from some friends in the US, who sent me a big box with all the goodies I needed.

I have turned in more than 1,500 applications in the past three years, but the answers I get all state either too old or overqualified... big sigh. My wife and I are seriously thinking of leaving this country to more friendly skies, such as Australia, NZ or Canada, but how to find a job there? As a 56 year old ex-CEO/CFO things ain´t easy.

I would only add one thing, some sort of equipment shed, farmer's house, some presence of people around the rice paddies.

Remember that temples often have paths up to them that have Tori (gates) on them. This is a fun detail and the path will help you emphasize the hill if you want to.

I do not know enough about Japanese steam, but does he need an ash pit over by the rest of the servicing area?

Bob

Bob,

it is those little details that make or break the character of a layout - thanks for the for the hint!

An ashpit in the steam engine servicing area would be something, but as I plan on using Unitrack I would not know how to incorporate one.

Bob is right, an ashpit is an integral part of any steam shed, but none of the Kato or Tomix sets actually provide one. I'm really not familiar with Unitrack, so I don't know how easily it could be done, but you basically need to cut away enough sleepers between the rails to add a pit of your chosen size. I gather that Unitrack has a fairly high ballasted base? That could complicate matters a bit, as track in an engine depot is almost always buried in the ground, much like tramway track. You rarely see neatly ballasted track within an engine shed.

One way around the problem would be to use this Peco kit with their track within the depot area.

http://www.peco-uk.com/product.asp?strParents=3309,3310&CAT_ID=3311&P_ID=16861

Cheers,

Mark.

I think Fleischmann has some and that it should be possible to link Unitrack to Fleischmann with the Unijoiner track piece. Can't be sure but I think it has been done somewhere. Maybe at Quinntopia.

Actually, it should be fairly easy to join the Peco inspection pit to the Kato track. Both is code 80, so I think all I would have to do is to pull the Unijoiner off the Kato track and substitute it with regular rail joiners.