1/24 scale D51- DeAgostini Monthly

bikkuri bahn

Martijn Meerts

ACK!

I have the C62 version, wasn't cheap getting everything imported, but the detail is amazing. I'm nowhere near finished with the C62, only assembled the base and the front of the boiler :)

Really tempting to get the D51 as well, but the cost can get a bit out of hand ;)

Martijn Meerts

They're not running models no, although it might be possible to convert them. Minimum radius would be massive though :)

Edited by Martijn Meerts

On the contrary, I think it's rather expensive for a non powered model that from the photos of the finished model on their website doesn't look to have much better detail than Kato's N scale model.

Martijn Meerts

Don't know about the D51, but their C62 kit has an insane amount of detail. Not all of it is directly visible from the outside though, and well, they haven't added detail for the sake of having more detail ;)

Martijn Meerts

It does look very similar to the C62 one. I haven't gotten very far with it because I want to paint it, and well, there are a lot of parts that are difficult to paint once assembled. At the same time, it's difficult to figure what to paint, and when, before having assembled it ;)

I bought both the D51 and C62 models second hand in Japan. I intend to convert both to run on gauge 1 track as radio controlled units with on board rechargeable batteries. I anticipate having to re profile and re gauge the wheels which will take some time on a lathe. Another possible problem may be the springs supporting the driving wheels. It will probably be a slow and difficult process taking several months and a fair bit of frustration. I'll let you know if I succeed or not.

Best regards,

Trevor

After preliminary testing of the D51 model I've found that I don't have to reprofile the wheels and that the chassis will run fine on gauge 1 track even down to 10 foot diameter radius curves and points, after the leading and trailing ponies are modified to give more sideways clearance. This involved narrowing the ash pan for the rear pony and removing some of the equalizer detail on the front pony. The gearbox shaft bushings were sloppy in their mounts to the extent of turning with the drive shaft and will have to be replaced for extended running, possibly by ball bearings. With the body on the chassis the model seems to sag a bit toward the rear so I will have to look at the suspension equalizers, etc to try to rectify this.

Martijn Meerts

If anything, the bird will disassemble it ;)

Besides, my C62 is far from done. I'm at a stage where I need to glue on detail bits and pieces, which is a terribly slow process considering I need to mix a new batch of epoxy for every 2 bits I add just about ;)

You taught him to talk, should be able to find the reverse switch on him to get him int assemble mode!

Jeff

Martijn Meerts

Not sure how well he'd handle epoxy really, his use of tools for the moment is limited to throwing them around, preferably making lots of noise :)