tender steam locomotives in general...

worldrailboy

I was pretty sure there was a website some time ago that pointed out that a few of the steam locomotives from one of the three major brands alone (tomix? don't remember) was often motorized via the tender instead of the usual motor-in-cab location

and are the newer models still built like that?

not sure on a link but what he is saying as some of the older usually brass locos had the motor in the tender.

If it has one never seen any kato or tomix ones do it?? not sure on really old MA ones.

A rumor waws floating about that realline do it. however mine do not nor others that have purchased one.

My questions in mixi group about this all came back as no they don't.

Regardless it's not a problem anyway even if they did do it in newer ones as the electro coupler is there and IMO avoids the hassel for complicated mechanisms within the loco.

Also if you are worried about dcc install in this situation westfallen i think it was or mark??

had a great idea they mentioned a family memeber did with a small deki sized loco. Where they attached a small maintainance truck to the back and had small guage wires from there to the motor disguised under details like maintainance gear etc.

i'm sure you could wire opposite ways and have the decoder in the shell and run small guage wires painted along the coupler.

Some Graham Farish (Bachmann) and Dapol British steamers have the motors in the tender either driving the tender wheels directly or the loco drivers via a drive shaft but going by magazine reviews it doesn't seem to be a drawback. I remember seeing somewhere in the last week or so pics of a Micro Ace streamlined C55 Pacific with motor in the tender but I can't find it now so I could be wrong.

It was my brother who suggested a battery tender for a deki decoder after seeing my video of the Mitsui Miike loco.

The Tomix 9600 model had the motor in the tender with a cardan shaft driving the loco wheels through the cab. Made in the Bachmann factory for Tomix, it was not a success.

According to Doug Coster, they were popular with Australian N gauge modellers as they could be converted into a NSW class.

The Tomix 9600 is definitely a lemon and is not recommended if you see one for sale. It struggles to pull three four-wheel wagons up an incline. When handling the  loco, if any slight deviation from horizontal occurs, the drive shaft (about 0.00001mm in diameter, pings across the room, never to be found again). Good for a scene like the back end of a loco shed!!  The MA C55 I have (ugliest thing on wheels) has the motor in the boiler, so if it was seen on a site with the motor in the tender, it may have been a kit-built or a larger scale than N. I bought a Kato C62 about 18 months ago, and it runs beautifully, so I guess the new issues may be the same mechanism with upgraded details. It certainly looks an impressive model and compared with the earliest Kato issue of a C62 many years ago, the efforts of the Japanese model manufacturers are to be applauded. I am tempted to order one (or two).

Angus

I have just received the latest Kato catalogue, and was comparing the details on the previously issued C62 (2019-2) with the latest C62's (2017-2 and 3) and its is very obvious that the tooling is completely different with a massive detail upgrade. Presumably the mechanism will be the same as the previous model as that was perfect. The photo of the new C62-2 is available on a posting by Sir Madog on Jan 15th on the 'What did you order..........' thread. Order will be in tonight!

Angus

I have just received the latest Kato catalogue, and was comparing the details on the previously issued C62 (2019-2) with the latest C62's (2017-2 and 3) and its is very obvious that the tooling is completely different with a massive detail upgrade. Presumably the mechanism will be the same as the previous model as that was perfect. The photo of the new C62-2 is available on a posting by Sir Madog on Jan 15th on the 'What did you order..........' thread. Order will be in tonight!

Angus

Angus, AFAIK the C62 is a completely new beast, totally unrelated to the old C62, starting with a new coreless motor.

Cheers NB

Angus

Angus, AFAIK the C62 is a completely new beast, totally unrelated to the old C62, starting with a new coreless motor.

Cheers NB

This page has photos of both mechanisms. Kato didn't just put new number plates on the old C62.

http://www5a.biglobe.ne.jp/~toyoyasu/c62n4.htm