All Track

Mudkip Orange

Mudkip Orange

GumTrain LAUGHS at your silly Western notions of... "scenery"

Lots of B-Trains, lots of Kansai. This vid has Hankyu, Keihan, Nankai:

• Like 1

It's a way to think your layout but for all it's worth, I think that if you have a permanent layout, you better play with thinks you can't do on a temporary one.

There is still a bit of scenery here. Interesting videos.

Actually it is just a video of the test runs of his line connection and its operations and does not make reference to scenery but there is reasoning behind the scenery used in western modeling.

The vastness in the rail system here warrants scenery to fool the eye to make assumptions in distance. The typical layout is 4x8. In that space we will see two mountains a stations a yard a industrial build and small town. Now the reality a 4x8 is 1/8th of a mile by 1/4 of a mile. To further put thing into perspective a typical shopping mall or galleria is about a 1/4 mile square. So the numbers don't match up but the scenery fools the eye into accepting the rendering of the layout.

33 feet is 1 mile in N scale and there are rail yards longer than that in the west. Because of the vastness in the terrain we model the use scenery is critical in marking distance for the eye.

You model what your mind sees.....People on the east model trees and mines, people on the west model fields all in all it is the scenery that set the tone.

Inobu

I don't know what you guys are talking about.  That layout has all the scenery you need to depict a railyard in Tokyo.  :grin

Cheers

The_Ghan

• Like 1

Inobu has hit the nail on the head. its all about the mind's eye and what you have to do to make it see the scene you want. one of the reasons i like japanese model railroading as you can do from sparse to dense track and have plenty to model any which way as well as do from perceived to ultra detailed scenery to make it work.

one of our club members has a basement layout (like 20' x 24') that is filled with a large unitrak layout that is super dense with track. nothing nailed down, all perceived scenery with plunked buildings and simple textured papers for ground cover. he has 14 different lines (some trams) that can be run at once. at first glance it seems there is little or no scenery or real layout modeling, but as you watch the layout it really grabs you in the big picture.

cheers

jeff

Martijn Meerts

He probably has more fun than me, all I have at the moment is 2 small test loops with no switches or sidings ;)

He probably has more fun than me, all I have at the moment is 2 small test loops with no switches or sidings ;)

I have two pieces of track laying on my desk.

2 S186 and WS186PC  not attached might I add...lol

Inobu

Oh...that's right I have my time saver on the bench......so I'm not as bad off. 

I have two pieces of track laying on my desk.

2 S186 and WS186PC  not attached might I add...lol

Inobu

Oh...that's right I have my time saver on the bench......so I'm not as bad off. 

It that the track that you are using as a guide for that portal that you are trying to make? :P

Fourteen trains at once!?!?

I would be in HEAVEN!  I love to watch them run. It is nice to have mountains, bridges and the like, but towns, roads and those details have always seemed like a LOT of work that do not give me anymore running trains.

Imagine what you could do with DCC.

Bob

i have some pictures of bob's layout ill see if he is cool with me posting them somewhere for viewing. its really a fun layout, track track, and more track. he does have a lot of buildings in between as well and cat pole. very much the japanese perceived scenery style. he just kept adding lines and power packs! i think he has 5 or 6 point to point lines.

the layout is in a big G layout. one end is kyoto center is a bit of philly, and the other end zurich! bob buys and models trains he has actually ridden!

he does have a mountain at one corner that was a large plaster cloth mountain from another member's layout that had to be demolished when he moved. was great he was able to tack up a 5' x3' section nicely!

cheers

jeff