model an unpowered E10?

worldrailboy

worldrailboy

I can't clearly tell what years the real E10 was operational for but I was thinking about a trix 2-10-0 I had thats been disassembled for a very long time to the point that I don't know where any of the spacer gears for it is anymore (meaning it'll never ever move on its own hehe)

and when I thought about it I had to look at the steam locomotive list for a moment before figuring out that one of the E class could do it and sure enough if the rough chassis dimensions (especially suggestive tire dimensions) matches I could rip out the useless motor to make it easier to modify the cab into a fully enclosed one (coal bunker as part of that too) with viewable interior on top of a few other easier items.

after that I'll see how to fit one of the spare freight truck underneath the cab to make up the trailing axles then try figure out what to file or add along the boiler length, by then I should be quite close to a rough model of the E10 itself :grin

don't know if I should paint it as something thats still in service but 'currently sitting cold for good' in the engineshed...or even just paint it more as something thats starting to rust on some dead track out of the way?

heres a direct url if anyone want to see what it looks like, I only could figure out a few basic technical details but nothing else yet

http://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/国鉄E10形蒸気機関車

and this is what my 'drive-dead' locomotive looks like except for the letterings

http://www.hydroponicsonline.com/store/img-hydroponics/n-scale-2-10-0-a-t-s-f-trix_300551169169.jpg

If you run the Wikipedia article through a translator you get "it was deemed expedient better to replace the form E10 with them, and finally here in 1962 (1962) Beyond the commercial operations been scrapped. Operational period of 14 years was only slightly." That puts them in service from 1948-1962.

Of course you realise the law of model railroading states that as soon as you convert your Trix 2-10-0 Micro-Ace will do a re-run of their E10. :grin

worldrailboy

westfalen you're so funny. I already have this trix crap here that I can reuse parts of from for a few dollars extra so why bother spending much more buying a new locomotive that won't move much on the layout anyway??? :-p

1962 sounds like I could go with the option of leaving it to just about start rusting a bit, maybe a little dot of weeds on the track around it to suggest that its for sure not going to steam again the next day

the main reason I started thinking about this when I realized about the E10 class existing and that I had this trix locomotive was that even if I had to decide to start from a new styrene rod boiler it would be a lot less work not having to build a complex chassis from scratch at all

If you run the Wikipedia article through a translator you get "it was deemed expedient better to replace the form E10 with them, and finally here in 1962 (1962) Beyond the commercial operations been scrapped. Operational period of 14 years was only slightly." That puts them in service from 1948-1962.

Of course you realise the law of model railroading states that as soon as you convert your Trix 2-10-0 Micro-Ace will do a re-run of their E10. :grin

yeah i would hold of a little while.

MA have been re-running alot of steamers theres always that chance it will come out again.

Things like the e10 and original locos always com out as limited (very limited) stock

by the way it's on my list as well.

don't forget the original 4 imported 4100's from germany as well http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Bibai_No2_tomei.jpg

I have dimensioned drawings of the E10s here - somewhere! I try to find them and scan them for you.

Cheers,

Mark.