Disappointed by Hobbytrain double deckers IC2000

Tecchan

I do not have a better solution to coupling except adding sticky putty between the couplers.  The issue with this train set is because of the inconsistent height of the rapido coupler that sits in the European standardize NEM coupler box.

I get this problem on some freight as well

does a small trim of cardboard fit under the coupler mount to give it some more height?

Cardboard would wear and decompose.  Go to Bunnings and get some nylon washers ... even some 0.5mm brass or stainless ones.  Cost you $5.

Cheers

The_Ghan

Hi,

Whats the turning radius on the Re460 loco ??

Will it take 9 3/4" curves (like most kato locos)

It runs well on my Tomix 280mm radius, did not try smaller but it would not look good anyway.

I doubt that the IC 2000 would enjoy a smaller radius though...

Hi let's just say the loco can even negotiate Kato's R150mm 6" compact curved track better than Modemo's.

The Re460 IMHO is the most durable Kato European model that I have ever owned.

Hi let's just say the loco can even negotiate Kato's R150mm 6" compact curved track better than Modemo's.

The Re460 IMHO is the most durable Kato European model that I have ever owned.

cool - good pulling power ?? - something like 2x 6421 cleaning cars for example ??

Spaceman Spiff

Hey there, I know I'm bumping an old thread.

Does anyone have the newer release of these cars. Supposedly H25108  thru to H25112 are 2012 releases. I wonder if the Kato Hobbytrain release addressed the clearance issue?

Spiff

Guest Closed Account 1

Did you get the coaches to work?

Are the coaches as low profiled as the Kato E5?

That's a tough one to keep on the flex tracks at shows.  The tracks have to be true gauge and flat or gentle transitions like Unitrack or Tomix.

What's the wheel diameter? 4.1mm is what's common on the Kato Shinkansens.

Spaceman Spiff

I really like this Hobby train and was really hesitant to get a set due to the issues mentioned. A good deal came by and I took the plunge. The set ran fine on my layout but there were spots (rerailers) where the belly of the coaches would rub but did not uncouple. I ended up using the little spacers provided with Microtrain trucks. I cut the small rings so they would fit on to the circular part of the truck (pic 1). This seems to give enough lift to the coaches so that they dont rub on my layout (pic 2). I have one dedicated car that will be exclusively hooking up to the loco. On that car I left the truck closest to the loco unmodified so there isn't any coupler height issues with the loco. I can also lift the coaches with out worrying about the trucks falling off as the trucks are still securely attached.

Spiff

post-387-0-47978200-1358656875_thumb.jpg

post-387-0-59802300-1358656924_thumb.jpg