Disappointed by Hobbytrain double deckers IC2000

Tecchan

My girlfriend offered me a wonderful gift for Christmas: a Kato SBB Re460 and two Hobbytrain SBB IC2000 coaches (cab car + restaurant).

IMG_1480.jpg

IMG_1482.jpg

The three really are gorgeous, this is my first modern swiss train and I was almost drooling when I opened them for the first time.

Yesterday I finally took time to lay down a layout and run them for the fist time. The lok took some time to heat up and it's running fine, not as fast and quiet as my Tomix Shinkansen but great anyway.

But I was SO disappointed by the coaches. They sure look awesome and the cab car has working lights but they are so close to the rails that they uncouple on every little bump and even derail on the biggests. Impossible to make them go up on a mini viaduct (Tomix Tracks) and they even decouple on the switches because the tiny cable passes under...

In the end: impossible to make at least one loop without having them uncouple or derail, even if the loco pushes them instead of hauling.

I'm really disappointed in this and feeling a bit sad for my girlfriend who was so proud to offer me a train for the holidays. Thinking about selling them or exchanging them for other SBB rolling stock as the lok works just fine.

I know Quinntopia had similar problems with those coaches but I figured this would be ok on my simple temporary layouts. It was not.

Does any of you own those coaches or have similar problems with rolling stock?

ahh reminds me of my MA kiha91 uncoupled on hills etc etc due to rubbing of cars on corners even large radius ones.

I spent hours on them i even finely filed them and finally got it decent.

Is there no way you can add larger springs etc to lift it a bit?

maybe post some pics of underneath and we can suggest something that won't ruin it's resale value if you do decide to sell.

Kumo,

I think you must not sell or exchange these cars.  As disappointed as you may be, your girlfriend bought them for you with love and forethought.  When I think about how many pointless and useless gifts I've received over the years I can't help but praise someone who is considerate enough to buy me something I would actually like or use.  

Your girlfriend is probably already disappointed that the cars don't run well.  So, irrespective of what she says, she will be even more disappointed if you sell or exchange these cars.  My father would say, "Sometimes a man must defuse a bomb before it starts ticking".  This is an occasion for you to spin straw into gold.  

Here's my suggestion: these cars are SO GOOD that you won't run them on the tracks.  Instead, build (or buy) a small display case so you can always admire these cars at your leisure without the worry of them getting dusty and dirty.  These cars can then be displayed in a prominent position in your home and everytime you look at them you will be reminded of just how much your girlfriend cares about you!

Afterall Kumo, you want to encourage your girlfriend to keep buying you more great trains, right??? !!!   :grin  :grin  :grin

Cheers

The_Ghan

• Like 8

Nigel, you're a wise man indeed.  :grin

Years ago my then girlfriend - who didn't really understand my passion for railways - gave me a loco as a birthday present. It was not in a scale I worked in, nor was it a prototype I modelled, but I was thrilled to receive it. Still got it, too. For exactly the reasons you stated.

Cheers,

Mark.

Instead, build (or buy) a small display case so you can always admire these cars at your leisure without the worry of them getting dusty and dirty.  These cars can then be displayed in a prominent position in your home and everytime you look at them you will be reminded of just how much your girlfriend cares about you!

The_Ghan

That is a good plan. :cheesy

The only other alternative is to get out the magnifying glass and perform some "engineering surgery" to make them right.

Dommage... but I agree, don't sell them off. It's a beautiful set and it seems a bit capricious. It should push you to find a way to lay an almost perfect trackwork. :p

Thanks guys!

I don't know yet about returning them... I get your point but on another point of view, I think about the money she spent on those wagons that will never leave their case again and it's making me a bit sad. I know that when I make a present, I'd rather the person to exchange the gift for something he or she will truly enjoy than keeping something in the bottom of a drawer.

I'll talk again with her but she seemed as disappointed as I was when I told her about this. And perfect track works means no viaducts nor cables under the tracks, a bit hard to realize here.

Maybe a diorama would be a good idea, I'll think about it.

These cars are highly popular even though they are lemons without a little adjustment.  I have 5 of them.

For the wheels and derailment, you can add a flat ring thingy in the screw aisle available from your local home renovation store.

For the height of the coupler and decoupling, stick some cardboard in or silly putty them.

These cars are highly popular even though they are lemons without a little adjustment.  I have 5 of them.

For the wheels and derailment, you can add a flat ring thingy in the screw aisle available from your local home renovation store.

For the height of the coupler and decoupling, stick some cardboard in or silly putty them.

Great!

Do you have pictures of whet you've done on yours?

Now they're able to go on viaducts or do they still derail or uncouple?

Like i thought.

some times a spring in there will substitute the small washer.

I have spare springs sitting about of all sizes from rapido couplers that have been removed and replaces with tomix tightlock ones.

Have a look about as the spring will work better than a washer as it will allow for some suspension for when driving up grades etc.

Great!

Do you have pictures of whet you've done on yours?

Now they're able to go on viaducts or do they still derail or uncouple?

I will see what I can do and post them, I work evenings now.

Guest Closed Account 1

what he said  :grin

Yeah, I got the wrong stuff for Christmas. A Bachmann oil can and a bunch of HO. We gave the HO to my brother. She got UP right just not the scale.

All I said was Kato N scale freight. Whatever you see coming down the local tracks is what I want honey. I have 3 lovely lady Gevo's in UP color waiting to pull their own.

Women don't really mind the hobby. They know they can let us play for hours in one spot and are too distracted to notice other women.

what he said  :grin

Yeah, I got the wrong stuff for Christmas. A Bachmann oil can and a bunch of HO. We gave the HO to my brother. She got UP right just not the scale.

All I said was Kato N scale freight. Whatever you see coming down the local tracks is what I want honey. I have 3 lovely lady Gevo's in UP color waiting to pull their own.

Women don't really mind the hobby. They know they can let us play for hours in one spot and are too distracted to notice other women.

haha  as long as they don't know the budget you provided it haha.

i go the dr yellow only becasue she suggested i could get it as my son loves his plastic toy one and he will enjoy watching it. I don't miss an opportunity.  :grin

BTW Kumo this is the best time to put your modelling skills to good use and fix the issue using your own skills to good use.

Just think of how proud (mrs kumo to be) will be of you after putting in so much effort to her gift to you  :love3:

As promised, here are the pictures of how I added flat ring and silly putty to make the set trouble free from derailment and uncoupling.  With the detailed interior, too bad it cannot fit a simple Kato LED lighting kit.

post-60-13569930039538_thumb.jpg

post-60-13569930041462_thumb.jpg

post-60-13569930043472_thumb.jpg

post-60-13569930045292_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

AWESOME!

Thanks a thousand times! I'll give it a try, it would save me the troubles of selling/returning it and most of all: I could keep them and complete this beautiful train!

... and put a smile back on "kawaii-ko" face ...  :grin

kumo!  Your girlfriend will think you're a genius when you fix it !!!    :cool:

Cheers

The_Ghan

Really good advice from the wise......and I'll add a little advice to help you along..........

Fix it because you Love her and her thoughts for you......and when you fix it tell her how and why ........and you'll be the man!!!

Leo - Great idea on how to fix the problem!

Ghan - wonderful thoughts in your post.

The fact that your girlfriend went to so much trouble to think of the perfect gift for you is something very special.

It worked like a charm: no derailing, I added two 0.8mm nylon rings and no derailing even on the bridge! I'll have to make a few more tests but I'm really happy I was able to make a whole loop without having to fix the wheels.

My girlfriend was really happy to hear that I was able to fix the wagon, thanks for your advices.

One last trouble: the coupling.

If the two cars couple well, the extra height makes it difficult with the loco. It uncouples really easily and for the moment I'm only able to push the train and not pull it. I'll figure this out.

Well Leo beat me to the 'solution', although in my case it was still not a perfect one.  Kumo, sorry to hear about your problems with these coaches...I agree they look great and was really disappointed in their operation.

My problem was the fact that the cars would 'catch' on even the slightest imperfection on the track, thus leading to uncoupling/derailments, etc...  On my Kato and Tomix super-elevated tracks they would 'drag' along the rails until they uncoupled! Arg!

So I did a comparison of the height (visually) between these coaches and some similar double deckers from Fleischmann.  I think the difference in the space between the rails and the chassis is pretty profound!

file.jpg

file-1.jpg

Like Leo, I was able to solve most of the problems by placing small washers over the 'screw' holder for the bogies....the bogies would not attach securely, but generally worked okay until you picked them up!

file-2.jpg

could the hole in the chassis be plugged and then a screw put thru the truck into the chassis to hold it? maybe with large head screw (one with the integrated washer on it).

jeff

Thanks Quinntopia, I remember you talking about it when I first made a "wish list post" on my blog. ^_^

So you used the same solution, but does it couple well with your loco? Also a Re460 from Kato?

I'll post some pictures of my cars today or tomorrow.

could the hole in the chassis be plugged and then a screw put thru the truck into the chassis to hold it? maybe with large head screw (one with the integrated washer on it).

jeff

Yeah, but it requires screwing into the bogie. Cutting some parts and making hole in others... :-/

As Quinntopia said, it's not really a trouble as soon as the car is on the tracks (it fits with the only weight of the chassis), you just have to be a bit carful when you pick them up because it may drop.

Eventually I'm really happy with this solution but wouldn't feel comfortable screwing in my new train... ^^,,