Japanese Z scale for beginners - Brands, turning radius, gotchas from N scale

So this is probably a bad idea looking into Z scale, but here goes anyway...

If I tried getting back into trains I would need to be a lot more space conscious and have a plan for a real layout I can run, not just pile up trains. Freight and loco pulled passenger cars seems like a good direction, I can add cars to an existing consist instead of constantly buying 'sets'. To be realistic about a layout it would need to fit on a shelf with continous running. That shelf would be about 8" deep.

What are the locomotive brands like in Z scale? Tenshodo sounds like it is a good brand, at least the steam locomotives, and there is a lot of loco pulled rolling stock from them. ProZ has limited freight available (looks like just a container train) and I don't know if the lighting is compatible with the Rokuhan controller or just their own. Speaking of Rokuhan they have some trains of their own (odd that the starter sets have Rokuhan track but Tenshodo trains) but I don't know the quality - I assume they have lights that work with their controller. Finally there is Prmloco (Crown Model) but what I've heard off hand was the loco quality was not very good - is that right, are the freight cars still ok.

For track the choice seems to be Rokuhan (any reason to go with someone elses?). Rokuhan's curve radius goes down to 70mm and then proceeds up in 25mm increments (making the track spacing about the same as Kato). But what is the minimum radius like on various Z scale locomotives? The Tenshodo C62 and D51 look nice and have a lot of variations, but I have a hard time believing it would go around curves that tight. The starter sets I see come with 195mm curves (Rokuhan track and controller bundled with Tenshodo locomotive plus passenger or freight cars). Would the upcoming Rokuhan DD51 maybe do small curves, or one of the existing EF locos or EMUs from the various brands?

Hi David,

I don't know to much about japanese Z scale, if you think this can help you

http://www.nn3.ca/main/main-japanese-zj-gauge-p1.htm

I only bought a couple of EF81 Real ZJ and a lot of Akia 485, but this one only for transplanting motor and axle to Nn3 models and Monorail.

Akia engine run very well and for 1000-1500JPY (15€ now, a lot ceaper when I bought) it's impossible to find another good Z scale mechanics

I'm tempted from Platz Shinkansen, but only the static model is cheap, not the lower chassis set sold separately

ciao

Massimo

According to the Rokuhan official site (or at least the English version) the Rokuhan trains can all run on R95. Interior lights are also not standard but an add on part. Some quotes from before production started also suggest the Tenshodo steam requires R195.

Rokuhan track is is like Kato Unitrack in N-scale for quality and durability.

Standard Z scale radii are R195 and R220 and everything runs on these. Many items will run on R120 radius  and on R 145 radius but not everything. Micro Trains GP7 and 35 will run on R120 as well as all their 40 foot cars. Older Micro Trains 40 and 50 ft cars with body mounted couplers need R145 or greater. Any car with Talgo trucks (trucks with couplers mounted to truck) will work on R120 and on L55 turnouts. Micro Trains SD40-2 will run on R145 but because couplers are pilot mounted only certain cars will run through L55 turnout "S" bend to a parallel track (R126 x 26 degrees) behind the SD40-2, this only pertains to first care behind the engine after the first care behind the engine just about everything works. . D51 Mikado from Tenshodo will operate on R145 and R120, but Tenshodo literature says minimum radius is R195 and it will run through the L55 turnout. The Tenshodo C62 will run on R170 and R145 but will not run though the L55 turnout only the L110 turnout (R490x 13 degrees. The PLatz/F-toys Shinkansen will run on R195 and R220 but looks much better on R270 and R 245. Rokuhan turnouts being delivered now can be configured for non power routing by installing two screws supplied with turnout in the base plate, they are supplied as power routing turnouts. Be sure your L110 turnouts you purchase are marked R039 and R040 for this option as the earlier version of this turnout R006 sand R007 do not have this feature.  The Rokuhan turnouts use single coil motors like Kato ones so you are best to use the Rokuhan controllers for trouble free operation and the motor is contained in the track base not mounted on the side of the turnout. Rokuhan is also very good at communicating with Z scalers in English, their web address is . http://www.rokuhan.com/english/If you have any questions they have a contact form on their web site and they will answer you or point you to the information you are looking for. Both of the Rokuhan controllers are very user friendly and easy on our Z scale equipment. If you get something from Rokuhan that does not have English instructions they will supply them in PDF form.

cheers Garth

I tried Z, but gave up on it. I boguht in early on the Pro-Z when it was hoped they would really take off. As history has taught us, it did not go over well for them, and I never run mine anymore.