Civil Planning

Guest Closed Account 1

Guest Closed Account 1

So just how many people per hour can travel up a stair case with double man doors?

Since each Shinkansen seats 1500 passengers I need to know how many staircases to add to the viaduct station.

A normal escalator can move 3,000 people per hour (comes from a GSA facility-planning spec). A 5.5m wide corridor is needed to move 2,400 people per hour (comes from an MIT slide deck on airport design). For fire-escape purposes, a stairway needs to be 30% wider than a corridor to handle the same load (per a summary of the IBC code), so you're probably looking at 1,200 people per hour down a 3m stairway, fewer if it's narrower (I couldn't find a specific number online).

Google is my friend.  :grin

I know there's at least one architect on the board, so perhaps someone has a more precise answer.

• Like 1
Guest Closed Account 1

Looks like I'm ahead with 6 of the grand entrances. They are wider than escalators.

If there were a Kato Viaduct station 124mm piece or just sold the long glass walls, I could have the grand glass sections spanning the street for a View Plaza. Otherwise with the 248mm pieces just doesn't fit.

Open the PDF of the Tokyo Station and zoom in to 200% for detail. Thanks Bill.

TokyoStation_e1039.pdf

Wow!

Did you count the escalators on the Chuo Line platforms at Tokyo?

8 escalators,

2 stairs,

1 lift

That's moving a lot of people.

Cheers

The_Ghan

Guest Closed Account 1

I'm only worried about the Shinkansen lines.

I don't think a train will be leaving my stations every hour as the speed lines are running up i10 between Nogales and Vegas. Vegas baby.

CaptOblivious

A little back of the envelope calculation:

Don't forget that at each station, a train will take on/let off only a fraction of its total capacity, even at the terminuses. Kyoto Station had four tracks on two platforms; trains arrived about once every 5 minutes, but you'd only see maybe at most 10 people at each door waiting to get on (160 total people). 160 people * 12 trains/hour = 1920 people/hour. FWIW.

Guest Closed Account 1
A 5.5m wide corridor is needed to move 2,400 people per hour (comes from an MIT slide deck on airport design). For fire-escape purposes, a stairway needs to be 30% wider than a corridor to handle the same load (per a summary of the IBC code).

The Kato Viaduct Station main entrance has 2- 12 foot wide staircases, so then lets say 1250 passengers per hour can flow to each level per staircase (one way). Providing passenger movement keeps moving at 2mph everywhere else.

I used the google machine tonight and found some nice guides, too.

2 guides by Network Rail (UK). Guide to Station Planning and Design, and a second about Station Capacity (with formulas).

At some point, someone will study my layout and try to calculate the possibilities. Fun planning this.

I believe that based on these guides that 6 main station entrances with 2 staircases each can easily satisfy the current and future people movement demands. Additional stations will be created to meet the population explosions of over 20%. LOL.

Files too large to attach:

http://www.networkrail.co.uk/Guide_to_Station_Planning_and_Design.pdf

http://www.networkrail.co.uk/browse%20documents/rus%20documents/route%20utilisation%20strategies/network/working%20group%202%20-%20stations/station%20capacity%20assessment%20(not%20part%20of%20the%20rus)/stationcapacityassessmentguidance.pdf

post-436-13569930016583_thumb.jpg