N Gauge Platforms per Region

Guest Closed Account 1

Would you like to see additional forum platforms for each Region of Train?  

16 members have voted

1. 1. Would you like to see additional forum platforms for each Region of Train?

• Yes
    • No

Guest Closed Account 1

This forum is my favorite forum for N gauge. None of the drama. Right to the point.

I'd like to see categories for more than just Japanese.

I'd like to talk about Bavarian, French, Chinese, American,English,etc.

Whatever is in production.

skip,

I like your idea but I just don't think this forum is busy enough for separate sub-forums for different regions.  Look at the Non-Japanese Prototypes section of Platform 6 for example.  It averages 8-10 topics per month.  However, you have highlighted a limitation of the forum.  It may be by design, but there is no clear forum for non-Japanese N Guage discussion!  Platform 2 is specifically for N Guage.  It doesn't affect me so much because I only model N Guage Japanese rail.  This is the only forum that I post on.

However, Kato is a Japanese company making models of a lot of American and European rolling stock.  I would imagine that there is a degree of crossover with modellers.  I would support a new sub-forum under Platform 6 for Non-Japanese N Guage, for example.

Cheers

The_Ghan

• Like 1

Yuh!

But a sub-forum on the side for discussing non-Japanese N scale might be worthwhile.  Where is the right place to post those ICE topics, for example?

Cheers

The_Ghan

I can see where Ghan is coming from, the people in this forum are great so I understand why having a sub forum for non japanese trains could be appealing. To talk about other trains with the same great people.  On the other hand it is a JNR forum.  I am decidedly neutral on this topic, neither for or against ;)

I'm think the Japanese focus is the big plus of this forum and adding other regions will just dilute it too much. There are other options fo other regions out there.

For the odd non Japanese model stuff we could just add modeling to the non Japanese prototypes and travel platform as Ghana mentioned it sparcely used now.

Jeff

I'd go along with other's comments that I wouldn't like the forum's focus diluted too much even though we do seem more open to railways and railway modelling from all around the world than most forums. I think a modelling section in the 'non Japanese' platform would be ok though as modelling is modelling and good ideas come from everywhere.

I think that if such a board existed JNS would fit right in as the Japanese sub board.

JNS does one thing and does it VERY well. Let's not mess with it and risk breaking it unless you have some evil plot to take over the world you should share with us.

I'm against the idea of general region-specific boards, as this is the *Japanese* modeling and rail enthusiasts forum. We're a success, I think, because we have a common focus to our discussions.

At the same time, I think there's a valid question about what to do about model posts that are about Japanese manufacturer's products that aren't Japanese in outline (e.g., Kato's European models). I don't think it's unreasonable for people to ask about them in the Train Doctor board, or mention them in New Announcements, but discussion of them does seem out of place in N Gauge. Still, the volume is small enough that I can't see adding a board for them and thus I think we should continue to have them on N Gauge, despite it feeling out of place.

One of the things I like about this site is that we are flexible.  We've had more than a few Personal Projects that weren't strictly Japanese. Not to mention all the posts about ICEs and other things. As long as we don't lose our focus, I don't see a problem with some of the other stuff mixing in. But separate boards seems to me a way to invite more of those posts, and that is losing focus.

Martijn Meerts

I guess we could do a non-Japanese N-scale forum to weed out the occasionally non-Japanese post, but I don't think a forum per region would be worth it.

For now, I guess the best section for posts about ICEs and the like would be the off-topic one, considering that's really what a thread about ICEs is, off-topic ;)

This is where I come for expertise in all things Japanese, myself and other members of this forum visit http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php for all things n gauge outside of the Japanese world although those of us who are members of both tend to introduce the other lot to Japanese modelling  :cheesy

The other forum covers UK, Europe and further afield, we have out first Indian Railways layout being planned and have members across the world with differing interests.

I always come to JNS for specific information, it does what it does and it does it well, for those with interests outside on Japanese railways then come and join us on the ngauge forum too, it's free.

My mind oscillates between two things:

- Not do anything because we are a forum dedicated to Japanese (Model) Railroading and it should stay like that.

- Give a little bit of space to other types of modelling because we are an open minded crowd with different interest.

Maybe a child board could be the solution for us to accommodate the occasional subject of non-Japanese modeling but as the same time not giving it to much importance.

or for a start the super simple fix would be to change the "Non-Japanese Prototypes and Traveling" platform to "Non-Japanese Models, Prototypes and Traveling"

using the word models then would cover other odd stuff as well that might come up (like structures, etc)

this would create an obvious home for this stuff and if it would expand to much then child board could be created or another platform for modeling could be created later.

my natural tendency is to find that scalable approach to start small and easy first and test the waters before doing a lot of mucking around with a situation like this.

jeff

I agree with the principle of testing the water but I'm not sure I agree with how you would do it. And, seeing the result of the poll (to date 13 "no" and 0 "yes") I think our forumers just don't agree with the idea.

i was just suggesting adding models to the non japanese forum name so that folks would see this is where to post the odd non japanese model stuff like the ice3 etc. refinements to the forum names and descriptions is an easy way to help organize the forum w/o major additions. at times i scratch my head on what should go into platforms like the n gauge one vs going into the new releases, scenery, etc. so i think always looking at ways to just clarify what should go where with the names and descriptions is good.

im assuming we will still have the odd posts now and then about non japanese models for one reason or another, just thinking that this would help have them plop in the right place when they do pop up. i dont think it will stimulate a huge change in the frequency in the number of non japanese model posts, but if it were to it would at least be contained in the appropriate place and then folks could decide if they want to try to dissuade this kind of post on the forum in general or go with it.

we already have a home for non japanese prototypes and traveling, just expand the name to include models.

jeff

On one hand, this is a Japanese themed forum (but basically JNS was come from Japanese N Scale -am I right?-, however other scales also have topics...), so I would prefer to stay this theme.

On the other hand there are topics for Non-Japanese prototypes and travelling, so I do not know why can not be a Non-Japanese modelling subtopic.

The community is very good here, and I do not think that a new topic or subtopics would ruin this.

Yes, JNS means Japanese N Scale... or I think it does.

I agree, I don't think a place to speak about french or british models will ruin the atmosphere here. Maybe some of the people here are afraid to be flooded by hords of north-american "freighters"... :p

• Like 2

I guess we could do a non-Japanese N-scale forum to weed out the occasionally non-Japanese post, but I don't think a forum per region would be worth it.

For now, I guess the best section for posts about ICEs and the like would be the off-topic one, considering that's really what a thread about ICEs is, off-topic ;)

Agree. I joined because this is a Japanese modelling/prototype forum, but I have not been put off by other topics so far.

Angus

I'd support cteno4's suggestion of changing the name of the Non-Japanese Prototypes and Travelling Forum.  I'd also change "Non-Japanese" to "International".  Thus, "International Models, Prototypes and Travelling Forum".

Cheers

The_Ghan

My mind oscillates between two things:

- Not do anything because we are a forum dedicated to Japanese (Model) Railroading and it should stay like that.

- Give a little bit of space to other types of modelling because we are an open minded crowd with different interest.

Maybe a child board could be the solution for us to accommodate the occasional subject of non-Japanese modeling but as the same time not giving it to much importance.

I'm torn. The generic "International models" child board is one idea (although I consider child boards hard to see/find in practice), cteno4's idea for renaming (and slightly repurposing) the International board is another, and just leaving the occaisional international model post on "N Gauge" and other boards (which I'd originally supported) is a third.  I think we have something of a consensus that some of these posts aren't a problem, we just don't seem to agree on where to encourage people to put them.

I think renaming the current International forum is my least favorite idea.  Right now, it has focus on prototypes (and travel, which is related). Models have other issues (what's new, what's good, how to fix/service it, where to buy).  Those could be combined on one board, or distributed as they presently are among N Gauge, New Announcements, and the various Modeling boards.

I'm leaning a bit to a Non-Japanese Modeling board on Platform 3 now that I think about it some more. That makes it clear that they're allowed without encouraging lots of them as I think a region-specific set of boards would, keeps them off the Japanese boards, and will probably keep discussions about one model together better than the current approach. But I still like just staying as we are too.

Guest Closed Account 1

Ok the votes are in and the nays win.

I'll still consult the audience here for non-Japanese trains because other model railroad forums can't seem to look outside the rails.

:grin The forum has evolved, I encouraged everyone to take a look at the new Platform layout. Threads will be moved around in the coming days.

Cheers