Moha2000

IST

One month ago in Stuttgart at the N-Scale Convention I bought a Tomytec Moha2000 model. Formerly I had no Tomytec models before, so I was very curious about this product. I saw it at the stand of ModelbahnUnion for 17.30 EUR and I could not resist to buy it. Not to mention that I drove this type of tram in the virtual world through long-long hours (Densha De Go - Ryojo-hen).

A week ago I ordered a TM-TR01 chassis, because I wanted to run it on my Unitram layout. It arrived yesterday, so I made my model to a motorized unit. It runs like a hell, but very good to see it running. I made some photo about the process, you can find them on my blog here, and also a short video:

post-248-13569929941852_thumb.jpg

post-248-13569929942222_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

I had a Kato tram returned a month ago because it was broken. "It did not run at full speed." I tried to explain this was how Kato tram work but that I would be happy to refund their money.

They got their money back and I have not seen them since. I hope their next dealer has better luck.

Guest Closed Account 1

I had a Kato tram returned a month ago because it was broken. "It did not run at full speed."

LMFAO each motor runs on 3.3V.  I'm giving her alls she's got Captain. She won't go no faster.

Yeah.  I can see how someone used to the usual rocket-like model train speeds would think a Untram broken. Kato trains are more realistic, but "realism" presumes the user has a reference. Most Americans have probably never seen any kind of real light-rail vehicle in operation to have a valid reference.  At best they'll compare it to a subway train or a highway bus. And anyone with experience with other models, probably thinks of them first.

I've ridden a number of trolleys (U.S. English for "tram") and modern light rail vehicles, and the first time I saw a Unitram run I still thought something was wrong.  Not because it looked unrealistic, but because it was so different from what I've come to expect in model trains (including my Modemo trams). I'm used to running them with the throttle set to 1/3 or less and having to turn it up for the Unitram just felt wrong.

As I experienced on Hungarian model railways shows, where kids and parents have the possibility to drive model trains on a basic oval layout, they only known the binary driving method - as we call it: there are zero throttle and full throttle.

Same experience happens on our virtual railway meetings as well. :-( Very hard to teach the kids to start slowly and the goal is not to reach the top speed as fast as they can.

CaptOblivious

Same experience happens on our virtual railway meetings as well. :-( Very hard to teach the kids to start slowly and the goal is not to reach the top speed as fast as they can.

Is that what I was doing wrong? That would explain a lot…

Martijn Meerts

That's why dcc is great, just program the trains to a reasonable max speed that doesn't cause carnage and destruction ;)

Of course, it'll take away a lot of the fun kids having in running trains.. Always a trade off :)