Tomix track questions...

nightshade

Well im thinking of using tomix track on my actual layout

what would be the smallest curve size (what part #) that shinkansens can run

(gonna have other things too about same size, once in a while gonna run

Metrolink and Metra).

Any 1 used the double slip swithes on DCC (will they work? any problems?)

same thing for the 3 way turnout..... ?

does the tram straight piece hook up to normal track without any problems (single track)?

if i think of anything else i will yell    :grin

THx

My brother has a three way turnout in a T-TRAK yard module and had a double slip and a standard Tomix turnout on a module at a running day last weekend and all seem to have no problems with DCC and operated well all day.

My brother has a three way turnout in a T-TRAK yard module and had a double slip and a standard Tomix turnout on a module at a running day last weekend and all seem to have no problems with DCC and operated well all day.

cool

Probably 317mm for Shinkansen (but I don`t have any Shinkansens).

need to see how much space would i need to make a hidden end loop / reverse ..............  depending on how much it will take, thats how wide the end module gonna have to be....  ;)

Hi nightshade,

Please see my comments below in blue:

Well im thinking of using tomix track on my actual layout

what would be the smallest curve size (what part #) that shinkansens can run It depends on the brand and model.  All will work on 317mm.  All Tomix will work on 280mm and some of the starter sets ship with this radius track.  Tomix E3s and 400s will run on 243mm.  To be safe for all brands and models I use a minimum of 317mm.  Also, my personal preference is for the larger radii as the car ends show a bit on smaller radii.  If you can spare the room use C391 and C354 radii for your shinkansen tracks.

(gonna have other things too about same size, once in a while gonna run

Metrolink and Metra).

Any 1 used the double slip swithes on DCC (will they work? any problems?)  Yes, they work.  You need to use both controllers of a Digitrax DS52 or two controllers on a DS64, or the equivalent of whatever brand of DCC you're using.  This is because Digitrax does not recommend controlling more than two motors on a single controller.

same thing for the 3 way turnout..... ?  The 3-way turnout is actually 2 x 2-way turnouts in series.  You will need to use both controllers of a Digitrax DS52 or two controllers on a DS64, or the equivalent of whatever brand of DCC you're using.  You need to think of the 3-way turnout as a L H turnout followed by a R H turnout or vice-versa and configure control accordingly.

THx

I hope this helps.

Cheers

The_Ghan

thx  The_Ghan 

Used kato so far, but spend some time at few shops while staying at my in-laws and i see that tomix got better selection than kato (i like kato )

but i think i gonna use tomix for next project (might just mix  -  still gonna have to have tomix on module connections do..... )

thx again

Hi nightshade,

Please see my comments below in blue:

Any 1 used the double slip swithes on DCC (will they work? any problems?)  Yes, they work.  You need to use both controllers of a Digitrax DS52 or two controllers on a DS64, or the equivalent of whatever brand of DCC you're using.  This is because Digitrax does not recommend controlling more than two motors on a single controller.

I hope this helps.

Cheers

The_Ghan

I use a single NCE Switchkat to operate a Kato double crossover.

West,

You might be right.  A single decoder on the DS-64 might also work for the Tomix crossover.  I haven't tried.  But for the 3-way switch two decoders are still required.

Cheers,

The_Ghan

Both the DS52 and DS64 can control up to four Kato solenoid switches from a single output, e.g., switching both ends of two sidings or all four solenoids in a single Kato double-crossover.  There are more stringent limits on heavier turnouts (like Peco or Atlas), limiting those to two solenoids; see pg 3 of the DS52 instructions and page 6 of the current version of the DS64 manual.  The DS52 instructions note a recharge time is needed between throws, so you probably can't throw more than one output at a time, but I've never actually tried.

I have a Kato double crossover (four solenoids) on one output of a DS64 (two of them on two different DS64s, actually) and it seems to work reliably, although I don't use those often, so they haven't been thrown many times.

While they don't say anything about Tomix, I think it likely those are closer to Kato.  But in any case, you should be able to throw two solenoids on a double crossover with one output.

what im trying to do is push pull commuter layout (in planning stages, still far before gonna do anything)

but need to get some track and experiment and see what i can get..........

as was saying push pull commuter would be the main focus

(2 or 3 track mains) but was thinking to make a complete loop on it as well or at least the end pices that are capable of running that way but still be able to connect to the push pull tracks or share the loop ends with the push pull tacks.....  (well want a the most 5 modules 24" x 48" ,  24" being 2x of my shelf size

hanging on the wall, will see......)

was looking on the track from kato (even do i like kato and have it the track selection is just ok)

while beeing at my inlaws i did explore few hobby shops and looked at tomix .... (and decided to use that instade of kato)

does tomix make waye rurnout? (kato just came out with one) ....  

the idea for this came from actually having the Athearn Metrolink set (nscale) and looking at the surfliner and Coaster pictures and driving by ..........  looks like a nice idea for layout with (San Diego on one end and La on the other, anything in between)  or just one continous city.... :)            

was just looking at my kato curves Athearn Bombadier coach still has some overhang on kato R348-45 (which is close tomix  C354-45 right?)

if that's the case gonna have to use the C391-45 ( 30/31"  ? on the outside) and C354-45 on the inside .....  (guess gonna get some track and see how its gonna be ........... )  no point of getting kato r381 just to see (better to get the tomix, if i use fine if not can use as portable track)

You will see that was exactly my recommendation earlier: C391 & C354

Cheers

yup just had to see  but seems dont have a choice.....  thx

C391/354 is my suggested minimum for shinkansen, but you do have other choices if you go Viaduct or Slab.

Viaduct has a larger radii double track of DC465/428.

Slab has DC465/428 and the even larger radii of DC539/502.  And because the DC539/502 comes in 22.5 degree bends you can make up 90 degrees using DC539/502 + DC465/428  + DC539/502.  You can make up a 180 degree bend using DC539/502 + DC465/428  + DC465/428  + DC465/428  + DC539/502.  Ie: you use the DC539/502 as a transition between the straight and the main curve of DC465/428.

Cheers

The_Ghan

You CAN run a three way switch on one decoder if:

1) you have a decoder that can handle the load

2) you can agree which two settings you want

You simply connect BOTH engines to the same command. Then they both throw on command. The issue being when you only want to throw one.

I have seen whole ladders done like this, but I have also seen hideous derailments when there was a train on the ladder when it threw.

I would spend for the decoder, the above is just for those who might want an alternative.

(Well until Honda gets the Asimo down to N. Then they are throwing ALL my switches!)

Bob

You CAN run a three way switch on one decoder if:

1) you have a decoder that can handle the load

2) you can agree which two settings you want

You simply connect BOTH engines to the same command. Then they both throw on command. The issue being when you only want to throw one.

I have seen whole ladders done like this, but I have also seen hideous derailments when there was a train on the ladder when it threw.

I would spend for the decoder, the above is just for those who might want an alternative.

(Well until Honda gets the Asimo down to N. Then they are throwing ALL my switches!)

ROFL   ... er ... I think that turns your 3-way switch into a rather expensive 2-way switch!

i think i really would not like to have that (stuff falling down from 4 ft ....... , wanna aviod any derailments, colisions as much as possible) bet gonna happend anyways

when kids get on it LOL,  gonna draw the end and see what can do vs what's possible to make / want :)  

(sketched it out earlier, it would be best to test it but dont have any track yet, guess pen and paper (or track cad) for now....  bessides busy with the coffe table...

good input / sugestions (keep em comming, there is never enough .... )

No one appreciates brilliance when it is first demonstrated!

You can get to NO decoders if you just always run your trains from the 3 way side to the 1 way side. Then there is NO switching to be done!

Bob

ROFL Bob,

I'm beginning to think one of your ancestors invented fire, mate!  Just remember to put a re-railer right after that 3-way switch.

Cheers

The_Ghan