SuperTrain in Calgary, have you been to this show?

rpierce000

Has anyone been to this show in Calgary, Alberta, Canada?

If so, I am interested in your opinion of the show as an opportunity to sell trains.

How professional was it? Were the vendors busy? How is Calgary in late April?

Thanks,

Bob

Supertrain is pretty much the biggest train show in Canada. It fills up an indoor soccer dome. It gets extremely busy (I usually go on the Saturday morning and it's jam packed in there).

In Calgary, you'd probably be in (small) competition with Hobbytech.ca although they are more Unitrack (plus buildings and accessories) and European focused, though they do carry a small selection of Kato Japanese rolling stock (mainly Shinkansen). Price wise they are extremely competitive and actually lower than US (I've never seen this before to be honest) and on par with Japan. I've opened dialogue with the owner to possibly run a Japanese themed Unitrack and Unitram display there as their club has some free space at next years show.

As for potential to sell, it's been indicated that the Unitrack AND the Shinkansen actually sell very well, but a 683 Shiragi set did not sell at all. But as you're heavily invested in Tomix, not sure how well that would do as maybe only John_P_Boogard and I are the only ones in the city that's ever heard of it LOL (and we'd be your biggest customers ahahaha). I've seen some used Japanese rolling stock at the show and that doesn't move as well. The Hobby Shops here carry minute amounts of Japanese stuff as well (like the odd Greenmax buildling, a few Tomytec trucks) and those tend to stay on shelves...

Calgary is fairly mild by April. There is the occasional snow (doesn't usually stick around) though usually it's pleasant (could be anywhere in the negs up to mid 40s F I'd say). If you plan on driving, I90 through the Cascades to Ellensburg can get pretty hairy in the winter/early spring but past that it should be good. The route on the TransCanada is even worse as the road can shut down randomly at any time and spring is one of the worse times due to melting snow (increased avalanche hazard and mud slides) although not sure if it eases up by April.

• Like 1
Spaceman Spiff

Clem24 pretty well hit the nail on the head. Saturday morning is the busy period. I dont think i have seen any Tomix  being sold. Our club has taken our layoutdown there. The organizers are well prepared and do a good job. There can be a wait for the loading dock especially after the show. I was in Calgary earlier this week and hit 4 of the hobby stores. They had very little unitrack stuff. The only Japanese stuff I saw for sale were the Kato E5 sets. I like clem24 would be your best customers lol

Spiff

They had very little unitrack stuff.

Did you go to Hobbytech? Their Unitrack and building/accessories are one of the most complete and best priced that *I've* seen in North America. As an example, it cost me $100USD for the V11 set in Seattle. $80 at Hobbytech. What gives LOL. The only thing they don't have is Unitram.

Spiff are you guys going to be there next year?

Spaceman Spiff

I went to Chinook, Trains&Such, EastRidge and the one the 32nd Ave in the NE. Never heard of HobbyTech, I'll have to visit them next time I'm in Calgary.

Not sure if we are going to the show as club yet. I think we have until February to confirm. If we do I'll be the guy with the Shinkansen's  lol

Spiff