New and exciting UniTram switch news for 2012

Guest Closed Account 1

- The point of double track branch to the left at an intersection. Will be direct and simultaneous operation of the songs on the electric wire 2.

- Selection formula / non-selection formula can be switched (for DCC). Joyner comes with a point code.

Point switch is sold separately.

Translation from HS

According to Kato Japan all the new Unitram track and switches will be released September 2012.

Hobby Dreamer

Thanks for the post, Mr Frosty.....

Its hard to know from the photos we've seen on this forum, the drawing you posted from HS, (not to mention the descriptions)  and from the photos from the 2012 Kato catalog what exactly Kato will be releasing.

The 2012 catalog photo looked to be a very wide street plate with an "almost" Grand Union intersection, (its been called a 6/8 grand union, here). The other info almost implies that  they will be releasing the tram track sans road plate. That would be great if they produced street plate in 2 and one lane sections (so one could make 2 or 4 lane streets).

The 2012 catalog has that single track turnout that I hope means they will look to single track in the future. In any event, although we have not heard more about this piece, it was unexpected.

I'd be surprised if we don't see continued progress from Kato since their system is so well thought out. 

Although I don't like wide track separation it would be great if they made a straight that mated to the turnout track.

Rick

Hobby Dreamer

Thanks Webskipper!

I wonder if  N scale hobbyists might go mental seeing all this for the 1st time !! Kato did a nice job on this fact sheet, although a few pieces still seem fuzzy to me.. (e.g. is the switch now electric because some Japanese sites show this as manual - don't really care myself)

It looks like we can get straight track sans the road part so that's great!

Having the track separate (for the straights and switch) opens things up so we can have smaller roads (or none at all) and have the track go over a bridge (have to check the dimensions) without having to find a bridge to carry 4 lanes of traffic!

Thanks again!

Rick

Guest Closed Account 1

The switch is electric.

Warning. Achtung. Attention. Aviso!

Do not view the 2012 Noch Catalog if you want to keep your sanity. Too many pages of scenery ideas.

Good! And now for single track Kato!

Also if the parts get released separately they could get interesting for modules too.

• Like 1

I'm liking that they are releasing longer sections of the tram straights for separate purchase...

Guest Closed Account 1

You might want to use the switch to connect to a tram garage (dust cover).

I'm using them to connect my 2 ovals. The next ntrack module will contain the parking structure(s). The trams need to transport people to their cars.

Martijn Meerts

With the exception of the manual throwbar/slot, they look really good :)

Edit: actually, is that slot a manual throw bar? I just noticed similar slots on curved sections, and in those cases it's to mount the catenary poles, so I'm guessing that's where the slot is for on the turnouts as well.

Edited by Martijn Meerts
With the exception of the manual throwbar/slot, they look really good :)

Edit: actually, is that slot a manual throw bar? I just noticed similar slots on curved sections, and in those cases it's to mount the catenary poles, so I'm guessing that's where the slot is for on the turnouts as well.

Its in the wrong place to be an catenary pole base because it will interfere with a tram's overhang on the turn.

Martijn Meerts
Its in the wrong place to be an catenary pole base because it will interfere with a tram's overhang on the turn.

Good point.. I guess they just wanted it to look like the catenary pole slots, for those who don't add the catenary poles .. 

Hmm.. I really should get me some Unitram stuff soon-ish, need to experiment with it because I want to add it to my layout eventually ;)

I almost forgot to tell that the new Unitram switches were already available for testing at the Kato Centre in Shinjuku. The switches worked fine, but the trains need some considerable speed not to get stuck on them, especially 2-axle trains.

How did the Trams perform?  That's why I bought the Unitram Plates.

The two trams running were a Portram and a new 2-axle German Düwag tram and they performed most excellent on the Unitram tracks. If the system weren't so damn expensive, I'd go for it as well. I'll stick to Finetrack.

Toni, please clear up for the rest of us whether the black oval on the street surface is a slot for a manual control slide to throw the points, and whether the points on both tracks throw together or can be thrown individually. Inquiring minds want to know...  Thanks!

Rich K.

The oval is indeed a manual lever for both the points, which operate simultaneously either electrically or manually.

Actually -come to think of it- the price is not too bad (around ¥5,000), wich gives you two electrically operated points and a crossing. If you were to buy all individually (if possible), it would be around the same price as well.