Kato Automatic Crossing Gate

gr8tfuldead

Why did Kato discontinue this item? Cost? I've always admired how this item operates. Does Tomix or Greenmax make a similar item?

Guest Closed Account 1

Probably because it doesn't look like their new concrete color plastic and it didn't sell well for $300.  There was a double track adapter package for $99 each.

Kato 20-650

While this one is long gone, there's a new one in the works.

Tomix used to make one, the TCS Automatic Crossing Set (5555), but I haven't seen them available for sale. They were about US$200 when last available at Hobby Search. That's slightly less than Kato's was ($232).  You can find youtube videos of it in operation by searching on the part number. Although it's only a single gate on each side, rather than Kato's two (both are prototypical) I think I like the Tomix's operation better based on videos; I've never seen either in person.

Here's one:

And here's a Kato crossing for comparison:

It will be interesting to see the new Kato crossing when it comes out to see what, if any, improvements have been made. I'm hoping it will be DCC friendly and maybe a smaller mechanism so the base doesn't have to be so large.

A working level crossing, whether you model Japan or the U.S., is one of the most common things on the real railways but is not available in N scale.

A working level crossing, whether you model Japan or the U.S., is one of the most common things on the real railways but is not available in N scale.

There are some working n-scale crossings, although European from Viessmann.

We've picked up one of these

http://www.reynaulds.com/products/Viessmann/5900.aspx

It works quite well and does not include the road / base pictured.  it looks like it may be "easy" to use the mechanism to power a more north-american crossing like the ones from NJ International:

http://www.modeltrainstuff.com/SearchResults.asp?searching=Y&sort=3&search=crossing&show=30&page=1&brand=N.J.%20International

And drive the signals with a flasher circuit.

To operate, one would simply have a push button, add a DCC accessory decoder (caution, the digitrax ones won't work) or get fancy with sensors.

A little kludgey or ambitious, but even just the viessmann alone may be cool. 

Why did Kato discontinue this item? Cost? I've always admired how this item operates. Does Tomix or Greenmax make a similar item?

Cause KATO will be releasing a new set KATO 20-652 and 20-653 to replace the older KATO 20-650 and 20-651. The release date is unknown at the moment as it was supposed to be released this year. (from reading into their catalogue) But will most likely be out in 2012.

There are some working n-scale crossings, although European from Viessmann.

We've picked up one of these

http://www.reynaulds.com/products/Viessmann/5900.aspx

It works quite well and does not include the road / base pictured.  it looks like it may be "easy" to use the mechanism to power a more north-american crossing like the ones from NJ International:

http://www.modeltrainstuff.com/SearchResults.asp?searching=Y&sort=3&search=crossing&show=30&page=1&brand=N.J.%20International

And drive the signals with a flasher circuit.

To operate, one would simply have a push button, add a DCC accessory decoder (caution, the digitrax ones won't work) or get fancy with sensors.

A little kludgey or ambitious, but even just the viessmann alone may be cool. 

But nothing ready to use or easy for the electronics or mechanically challenged. I rigged up a crossing using Bachmann gates, N&J crossing signals and infrared sensors years ago but it was a pain to do and keep adjusted in operation. We need something like the Kato one but upgraded to 2011 technology that can be put straight on the layout.

But nothing ready to use or easy for the electronics or mechanically challenged.

yeah, it would be nice; that's why we've also thought about just using the Viessmann's out of the box and having it under manual control just for starters.  Nik received one of the original Kato's several years ago, and on a table-top loop, the sound effect about drive me batty (he of course enjoyed it). 

My luck, Kato will come out with DCC-friendly economical crossing gates about the time I invest in making something else work.

The NJ International sensor setup is perpetually sold out/unavailable.  I've been looking for them for some time with no success, but thanks!

Guest Closed Account 1

They can be a problem at train shows where lighting can vary.

Great opportunity to add some street lights of your own to provide the necessary illumination.

One guy in my club suspends mini halogens over his scenes.

Also no more unsightly plastic box (office) thing either. And it is cheaper.

I posted on a U.S. forum about the new crossing and they just whined about how expensive it was and the thread died. ???

I've pre-ordered a basic set and a double track add on.

Also no more unsightly plastic box (office) thing either. And it is cheaper.

I posted on a U.S. forum about the new crossing and they just whined about how expensive it was and the thread died. ???

I've pre-ordered a basic set and a double track add on.

I'd pre-order it, but I need to get my credit card bill down. I had to do a lot of soul searching just to make my yearly donation to these forums just to cut the credit card bill down. (I did make the donation iin the end) The best way for me to justify not ordering this crossing is the fact I have place on my layout to put it at the moment.