ICE3 Best Set

Guest Closed Account 1

There're none IMHO or at least for the earlier release (2 years ago)

Arnold ICE3 has poorly design couplings, my AVE Valero was back in the shop for days before the very nice staff admit that the set was not made to couple and uncouple.  The engine runs slow and can barely negotiate Kato's Viaduct Incline.

Minitrix ICE3 is more affordable but the motor is not reliable, my set's motor car develops a clicking sound when I lightly used it for just 3 months.  Back to the factory it went for 4 months before I get the replacement.  Apparently the gear is made of plastic.

Having that said, I heard both companies have improved their quality with the current run.  For me, I have lost faith in both and would just stick to Fleischmann and Brawa for Euro trains.

Martijn Meerts

ICE T is, I believe, a tilting version of the ICE 3.. Design wise they're the same.

As for models.. The cheap Minitrix ICE3 sets are pretty terrible. They're better now that they've fixed the problems with the wheels though. The main issue is that they have no lights in the cab car at all.

There's another Minitrix set which does have lighting and comes with more cars, but that too seems to have it's issues.. http://quinntopia.blogspot.com/2011/11/locomotive-roster-db-ice-3-minitrix.html

Hi!

ICE3 and ICE-T (in the real world) has been developed in the same years after the ICE2, one much faster for the new built line for 300-330kmh speed and one for increase speed up to 230Kmh on upgraded line (tilting mechanism developed by FIAT ferroviaria)

ICE3 run in 8 cars formation, 2 type has been developed 403 (2 panto only for internal traffic) and 406 (4 panto multivoltage for international services (France and Switzerland)

ICET run in 5 (411 type) or 7 (415type) cars formation.

ICE3 in N scale: first model was the old Arnold release, around 10 years ago (before LIMA-RIVAROSSI closing)

is one 403 type in correct car formation (and I think is the best from Arnold until now).

Arnold (now Hornby) re-release this one in the past year, 403 renewed with big air conditioning on the rooftop near the doors and 406 with 4 panto for international services,

booth equiped with renewed motors (but coupling system is not so good, fortunately spare parts are available)

I know also a special run of 403 made in exclusive for ModelbahnUnion (best know here like Heiko Stoll from Japanmodelrailways), is the "Dortmund" set (item number 12000)

The Velaro version (ICE3 for Spain) has been released 2 times, the first release (some years ago, before the DB version) have a big trouble on motor, it run to much slow compared with Kato AVE or similar, the second run with improved motorization run very good, you find the same motorized mechanism on the DB ICE3

unfortunately both sets have the same item number so you need a test run to distinguish it.

The only thing I know is that Spanish Hornby distributor started a campaign for gears exchange, I think now is ended but I think is possible to find correct spare parts (rumors from spanish forum, original gear in white plastic, upgraded spare gear in blue plastic.......sorry Leo, I think you have the first release)

p.s.Velaro version is not 100% correct, is only a repainted DB version, the real train have some difference, for that's reason this train don't like to much to spanish collector 

ICE3 from Minitrix: another 403 type but released the first time in 3 car set (with and without start set), also released in fake Superman blue color.

Like Martijn says and also for me, this is "garbage", is really toy like and with a dangerous defect.

Plastic gears on motorized bogies that are broken after slightly use and are really hard to obtain like spare parts (you find tons on this like bastler-defekt on ebay.de)

Single cars for the correct car formation are available

This train has been released also in 8 cars formation box, this is better because the motor car have metal gear (available like spare also for "plastic" set but a complete set cost around 40€!!!)

but not the same Arnold quality (and price! Minitrix around 180-200€ Arnold around 240-270€, 280-290€ Dortmund special set)

ICE-T is only available from Fleischmann with reproduced tilting mechanism, it's expensive but is really good (7 cars are available, 3 cars basic set and 4 single cars)

O.T. best ICE collection for me (if your budget permit..)

ICE experimental - Minitrix

ICE 1, 2, Amtrak, T - Fleischmann

ICE 3 - Arnold (if possible all the 4 sets)

(Velaro, maybe a future release only with the right cars reproduced)

Avantgarde (black ICE 1) and Superman (ICE3) are fake colors, is better to use money for other...

ICE-TD is available only in H0 from Roco until now...

Ciao

Massimo

Martijn Meerts

My father actually has 3 of the cheap Minitrix ICE 3 sets. A 3-car Dutch version, a 3 car German version, and another 3 car German version with 2 additional cars. The first German set actually caught fire while on the layout at some point for unknown reason...

And when I say caught fire, I mean flames were coming out, the circuit board was charred and there was a rather large hole melted in the shell ;) All sets have been back at the factory to get gears replaced.

The problem with the gears isn't because they're plastic, but more that they used a REALLY cheap and brittle type of plastic. After all, most Kato/Tomix/MicroAce have plastic gears as well :)

The problem with the gears isn't because they're plastic, but more that they used a REALLY cheap and brittle type of plastic. After all, most Kato/Tomix/MicroAce have plastic gears as well :)

Of course, you've right, but is "japanese" plastic  :grin  and metal gears aren't 100% warranty of good works

(good plastic is better than metal for noise and much durable)

the only thing I don't like is the price of gear replacement (when warranty is ended or for second hand items), 40€ is half of the price of 3 car basic set (89€ when released).

Maybe in Germany is much simple to find and replace, but in Italy is really hard...(fortunately Menzel and Lippe are really willing and patience and help us).

Sometime Italian stores make a little production of gears for replacement of the original (eg.Arnold Kof, DHG700, old Lima and Rivarossi....) but not yet for ICE 3  :sad:

ciao

Massimo

I just went from Marti's post of Quinn's review of the Minitrix ICE3....it is so comprehensive, not a detail left out.

I like his ending where he rates the overall train.  :icon_salut:

And there is the forgotten ICE-TD (Tilting DMU) that is now only used on Copenhagen-Hamburg by the DB and the DSB. Sets are four car long and tilting mechanism has been disabled since it was too expensive to maintain (and maybe also rather unreliable).

I used to have this set.. What was so great about it? I thought it was terrible! It had "power conducting" couplers (sort of) but impossibly unreliable. IIRC, these "power conducting" couplers weren't really power conducting in the Tomix sense, but was REQUIRED by the train to actually complete the circuit between the 2 end cars. I remember trying to put just the power car on the track and it wouldn't run! It was noisy, and the middle cars had no interiors. I think I sold my 3 basic set + 2 car add on for $100.

The Fleischmann ICE 1 set however.. Now that's something to behold, especially the Amtrak set! Just wish the couplers weren't so impossible to use ahahaha (and so damn expensive that even used sets go for almost the same price as new!!!).

Martijn Meerts

That minitrix ICE Experimental sounds much like my Marklin ICE 2, that one doesn't run either unless the whole set is connected... Also runs bad and is noisy :)

I used to have this set.. What was so great about it? I thought it was terrible! It had "power conducting" couplers (sort of) but impossibly unreliable. IIRC, these "power conducting" couplers weren't really power conducting in the Tomix sense, but was REQUIRED by the train to actually complete the circuit between the 2 end cars.

I remember trying to put just the power car on the track and it wouldn't run! It was noisy, and the middle cars had no interiors. I think I sold my 3 basic set + 2 car add on for $100.

Hi Clem,

I know that coupling system is a really s..t, but is the only model of Experimental prototype, ICE 1 is available from Fleischmann and Minitrix and ICE 3 is available from Arnold and Minitrix, you have a choice.

I bought some 12996 at low price like junk set for that reason (some for transplanting motor chassis on Del Prado ETR500 and soon on ETR300)

the electric circuit is really simple to modify to pick up current from the single head car so you don't need all the cars mounted (and all the coupler connected) to run, after the loco run alone and all cars have a separate electric circuit.

Also coupling can be modified to have more mechanical resistance (with circuit modification they don't need to mantain electric function)

Interior of middle cars is not so simple, some cars has been equiped only with measure instruments.

If I remeber, only one car have seat interior but I don't find schema about it (if someone can help me, I try to build it with evergreen sheet)

However if you don't put light kit inside the cars is really hard to see the interior because the windows glass are dark.

ciao

Massimo

I have the Minitrix ICE-3 and I like it a lot. Not having lights is not a deal-breaker for me. It did start clicking and I discovered split axle gears (also common on many other brands of model trains in various scales). I was able to purchase replacement axles with the metal gears from Walthers in the U.S. (!) By the way, Minitrix is now listed under Marklin on the Walthers website. I also bought some replacement geared axlesets from Germany so I could re-equip two locomotives. I have the full 8-car train, built up from the early 3-car starter set plus individual first- and second-class cars. The more recent 8-car complete train sold by Minitrix is better that building up your own train from the earlier offerings. The prototype coaches are not all the same in pantographs and doors. The later Minitrix complete model train more accurately matches the real train in this regard.

For the ICE-1, I have the original Fleischmann version. I prefer the two-tone striping that was originally on these trains, because I like to have models that represent high-speed trains when they were new and pushing the envelope of progress, not later in their lives. I discovered that the original Fleischmann version comes in two varieties. The first had DB logos with white lettering on a red background, while the later version has the DBAG logo which is the opposite - red lettering on the white background.

Rich K.

I've only had my new Minitrix ICE 3 for a few months...so no fires or gear problems yet! :grin Let's hope they've fixed those engineering problems with the new set!

I found a bit of a review on the Fleischmann ICE T...if the translation is correct (the original blog is in Spanish), Fleischmann may be trying to sell off some of these sets at good prices.  Generally, the consensus seems to be the Fleischmann is the best quality.  The photos certainly make it look good!

http://translate.google.com/translate?u=http%3A%2F%2Frintiland.blogspot.com%2F2011%2F11%2Fel-ansiado-ice-t-por-fin-en-casa.html&langpair=auto|en&hl=en

Yikes, I am shocked that I am not the only one with this problem.  I am interested to know why no one uses their warranty to get it fix?

maybe because some of this sets has been bought on ebay or webstore, in Italy is not so simple to find N scale models in neighbours model shop.

I remember the first time we (our N scale club) asked to Lippe spare axle, we receive spare parts identical to the original so after a few months we have the same problem but in the meantime warranty was ended.

I don't know if now Minitrix send the metal gear axle like spare to all, in the past this was another spare code so if you want it you need to pay (32€+8€ shipping cost)

Fortunately we have a couple of train shop that sell a lot of spare parts and accessories for people that build brass models, is not so hard to find the correct gear (metal or plastic) to put on the original axle

(cheapest solution, a complete gear set cost from 5 to 10€)

ciao

Massimo

Well the good news is they are redoing the Fleischmann ICE-T as a starter set for a much cheaper price (rumours)!  And it is digitized too!http://www.tee-usa.com/store/product37120.html

I hope that's right!

in the past Fleishmann released a start set with ICE 2 but with simplified train (not the same on sale on 3 cars set box) without flywheel and fake panto, is better to ask to reseller if is really the same train....

ciao

Massimo

Guest Closed Account 1

The best prices I'm finding are on Ebay Germany.  I'll ask my girlfriend's Aunt in the Netherlands to check at her hobby shop. Shipping cannot be that steep.

She just sent me a box of Faller, Auhagen, and Vollner structures and some Merten figures so now I need another train.

It's either an ICE or another TGV. Already have a spare 6-pin decoder from the TGV Thalys.

Really like this video from Euro Destinations.