Sort of club for Dutch/German/Belgian members?

Martijn Meerts

Toni, do you think the original "inventors" of J-Module might be interested in refreshing it? (maybe set up a dedicated homepage for it, revising the PDFs where needed, drawing up sample modules/trackplans and such) I don't know if any of them still actively wants to build J-Modules or something, but it would be nice to get them along.

Already contacted Mark Veneman about this project. He said he'd be looking at this topic this weekend. I don't know if Jeroen Braamhaar is still active in the scene... It already has been 10 years or so since I spoke him.

Martijn Meerts

Just mailed Heiko Stoll about the possibility of several people doing some J-Modules, and whether he's still interested in them, and maybe if we could perhaps sort of team up on shows or something. Let's see what he's got to say :)

I think we should get some ideas going with regards to some track plans for a few modules, and see if we can get a few of them built. Otherwise I have the feeling nothing's going to happen at all.

I have a bunch of Tomix track ready to be used, including the Tomix turntable, which could make an interesting scene for a show.

Dito here. I have lots of track at my disposal and my idea is to make a 1200cm module with an interurban on a lower level, maybe with a small halt along the normal tracks. This is intended to have a small layout for private use to play with when it's not connected to a large layout.

When I have the time I can draw up some module plans in 3D or isometric perspective when I have the time.

Whats IG nippoN been up to? Havnt heard a peep from Kai in a long time here on the site. they seemed to be having some luck with their get togethers and also some show stuff.

jeff

Martijn Meerts

Would definitely be possible to do a conversion piece from J-Module to the IG-Nippon module format, as well as other module formats. That way we could also get some modules to the large N-scale meet in Stuttgart, and hook them up there.

Heiko Stoll also recommended something like that rather than only use a custom module format. He didn't have his J-Modules anymore btw, gave them away to some Dutch guy. He did like the idea of getting some people together and have some Japanese trains to show off on shows though ;)

Hmm, since nobody has started on a J-Module as of yet, couldn't we adapt the standards of IG-Nippon and start a splinter-cell BeNeLux/France group for that? In that way we can develop a general European standard instead of having two different systems from the start (which could lead to feuds or something like that). Some of the IG-Nippon modules have already been built and/or are ready for use (Kai) and more are being build. Soon they'll have a system that is ready for use on shows and/or meetings, which the J-Module lacks.

The only real difference between the modules are: they are only 400mm broad instead of the 500mm of the J-module system, plus the modules aren't isolated blocks as opposed to the J-Module system. I think this quite handy, since it allows for trains longer than one module and requires less complicated electronic systems (at least, I think).

IMO we should adapt the IG-Nippon standards for our project and try to meet up with them, so we can all enjoy large/small international/national/local meetings.IIRC from discussions on this forum (plus my own experience), the Japanese railroading scene outside Japan is a very heart warming community with little to no flamewars/hatred amongst one another. We should keep it that way I think, since Japanese model trains still are a big niche in amongst the niche of model railroading in general in Europe, we shouldn't segregate, but rather group together.

Just my wobbly 2 Eurocents

Martijn Meerts

I have no problem using the IG-Nippon standard. Another advantage is that Kai has end plates available, so that you don't have to make your own end plates. That ensures that all the modules fit together well :)

I'm still planning on visiting one of the IG-Nippon meets, the past few have just been at bad times for me.

Hi guys

sorry for the long silence. I have much work and I am not healthy. So I doen't / can't spend much time in the WWW.

It is good to hear that you would like to adopt our 'agreement'. And the idea of Toni withe the meetings sounds great.  

'Our' module-System is based on all standards which we put together. The face plate of the modules is the FREMO N90 Flat one without the trackbed. Lengh is the multiple part of 30 cm - Standard is 90 and 120 cm. Tracksystem is Tomix and is placed in the middle of the Module. At the crossing to the next module is a 40mm gap for the V90.

That is only a basic agreement - it is a long way to a standard. Most Questoins arn't answered, because we want to decide at a meeting when we can try out. The difficult part is, that we don#t life near together ...

Maybe we (the european part) can meet us to discuss live at the modules.

I had some ideas about a european wide club some years ago. First for the german languaged part. => JRMeurope => Devisions in each country => Work together in Interesst Groups (like IG nippoN as a Group for N-Scale module standard) ... But it is hard to find people in Germany for this - what should it be when it starts in europe?

Than I have seen that we can only establish our hard core (Dr. Y, Waldi - I hope Keikyu will come back, too and me) with two new actives, shiniji and Sarutobi. We all life across germany. So my big vision shrink down to 'go the Stuttgart exhibition'. This as well my wife is ill (in moment she is well and we can do things together, tomorrow it can looks bad) and actual my overweight catchs me and i have many trouble with my backbone, no sense in the fingers etc ...

Yeah... my dream is one plattform for all Japan Rail modellers worldwide (like this forum) where all 'clubs' => (continental? like JRMeurope, ...) can work together... 

- Kai

Martijn Meerts

Kai, you and your wife's health are more important than the forum of course, so there's no need for apologies :)

I think one of the problems is that people don't get exposed to Japanese trains enough to get an interest in them. Having people all over Europe with modules to set up at show would create more interest. Also, the modules could go to Japanese events, like JRM does with the cherry blossom festival. The layout got a lot of attention there. If that could be combined with a stall selling some starter sets and some of the cheaper things, that might get some people into it.

I'm all up for a meeting sometime. Depending on who's interested we could set something up that's central for all of us. Of course, I'm still interested in going to the IG-Nippon meeting at some point ;)

i suggested to Ghan to take my layout to a japanese cultural festival it's not a great layout and pretty small but hopefully people will like the looks of the models and i have a fairly spread out collection covering many different types now.

I am planning on making some T-track modules for personal use in the (hopefully near) future. I have been asking some questions about it on another section of the forums, and then cteno4 made my curious about if there is actually any T-track being made in the Benelux/Germany. I do know there are some people on that German forum making some of them, but apart from that I don't know anyone. So my question is if there are any people that are using it, planning to do it, or are interested in it. Than we could maybe make some kind of standard so that, if ever it gets of the ground, we at least all use the same dimensions instead of that it's totally incompatible.

Of course this is totally irrelevant to larger modules everyone was talking about, but it's a different aspect of the hobby and much easier to make (I guess since I've never made one yet).

Martijn Meerts

I don't know of anyone in The Netherlands doing T-Trak, but then again, I don't know many people in The Netherlands doing model railroading, because most of those who do are more into H0 and Dutch prototypes ;)

Doing some T-Trak modules might be a good start for a "club" though, as they're small, so easy to build and transport. Setting up a fairly simple loop with a focus on detailed scenery would be doable, and could show the charm of a small rural line in Japan.

I'm usually not much for the common standards, considering they hardly ever work well for the things I want to do. Also, since the modules will be Japanese (and therefor aren't likely to ever be linked up with others modules) it's quite possible to come up with some standard that just works.

I know most people have H0 and Dutch and German model trains here, but I'm sure there are quite a few people who do have Japanese trains as you and I. I know that 200系 has some Japanese trains, only 2 Shinkansen sets if I'm right, I know him from the Dutch Beneluxspoor.net forums (uses a diff. nickname there though). I doubt he's interested in T-track but you'll never know. Also some people on the BNLS.net stated that they found Japanese trains interesting after we both showed our new models, not to the point you and I like it I assume, but at least people find it enjoyable to look at. There is quite the possibility that I will be the very first person in the Netherlands doing T-trak, but as cteno4 said maybe it will lead to more people actually making them.

As you can read in the linked topic, I am planning on doing a "small rural line in Japan", exactly as you say. I'm planning to do at least 4 curved modules and 2 straight which result in the "fairly simple loop". :grin

As cteno4 tried to explain to me, basically only the track spacing needs to be defaulted otherwise it will look very weird or just not fit completely right. Also there has to be set a height standard, because it will be impossible to link up otherwise. Of course the bolts can be used for that, but I think it's better to use them only when it's really needed, because I think they will be quite annoying.

I wanted to make some designs for myself anyway, so maybe I'll just think of the way I personally think the standard should be set.

Martijn Meerts

Just post drafts of a standard here (or PM me if you prefer to do it in Dutch), so people can look at it and come up with comments. Maybe I (and others who've shown interest) can build a few modules as well, and we could see if we can meet up at a show somewhere to display the layout.

I have quite a few short painted trains that are bound to draw some attention, and most of them aren't converted to DCC yet :)

That way we could do a small rural line using the custom T-Trak standard, and use I.G.Nippon's standard for larger modules that can link up with their layout and get some good stuff going at shows =)

@Martijn

What is the IG-Nippon standard actually? I have seen this draft but I don't know if it's the standard used there. I want to base most of the modules on those since they are pretty nice. I also would like to ask your opinion about whether using 248+62mm tracks and a module of 308mm or 248+64mm tracks and a module of 310mm. That's because 1mm at both sides have to be off the module so that it's easier to connect modules. 62mm tracks are easier to get and using 308mm is not really a problem if I would let the shop saw the wood, but 310mm long modules are easier to do the maths with and easier to saw in case someone wants to do it himself.

Martijn Meerts

http://forum.ig-nippon.org/viewtopic.php?p=5330#p5330 is a description of the module end-plates and sizes they use for the bigger modules.

I don't have much Unitrack myself, so I'm not familiar with what they have on offer, and what's easiest to get. The length of a module doesn't matter that much though, it's really the end plate width, height and the placement of the track that need to be precise. Whether the module is 310mm or 900mm makes little difference :)

Ah, right. I misread your earlier post. The post I linked to is the T-trak of course.

62mm is standard included in the variation sets, so there's more chance someone has them than the 64mm ones that are actually made for diagonal use. I have two 62mm myself that were included in the M1 set, and if I were to build a module I wouldn't have to buy new tracks 64mm tracks.

What do you mean with width, the depth when standing in front of it? If so, it wouldn't be really important since it can be 30cm at the most and for the less deep modules I would go for 15cm. The length of the module does make a difference because it won't line up otherwise with others of course! The best is to keep the standards lengths ~310, 620, 930, for the straight modules.

Martijn Meerts

There has to be some standard lengths for the modules of course, but for example, I could choose to make a large-ish station spread over 3 modules. Each of those 3 modules can have any length, as long as the 3 together are a multiple of 310.

With width, I do mean depth yes. The modules can have various depths I guess, would just look a bit weird connecting a 30cm modules to a 15cm module ;)

It would really be great if we could get 3 or 4 people building some modules and go to some shows. Would love to see what kind of attention a highly detailed, Japanese urban layout would get.

martijn,

you can make modules of any length as long as you have two of them to put on both sides of a run to even it up.

actually folks do them at different depths and its not horrible when hooked next to each other. unless you are doing long fairly continuous scenes on your modules, it doesnt really cause any more disruption to have different depths to each other than the scene changes module to module. of course probably better not to have every other one popping in and out, but allowing for more than one will really help in the long run.

cheers

jeff

Since I have a Tomytec suburban station (not yet completed) I am also planning on making a station module, it will be also around 3 modules long. But of course you can build one too, than I keep it for self-use. :grin

I think 15-20cm is the best to start with, and if someone would make a 30cm deep module, maybe some kind of transition module could be made if it looks ugly.

Off-topic: Thank you god, anyrail just updated and guess what, the wye switch is included now. Also they updated a lot of other things, but I don't care about that.

Martijn Meerts

The station was just an example, really not sure yet what I would build. If we want to go to shows with the modules, we'll need a bit of planning so that we at least make enough modules for a loop, and probably store all those modules in the same place. Makes it a lot easier. After that, anyone can make additional modules which they can bring whenever they feel like it.

I wouldn't mind 'donating' a few of the base modules, but since I don't have a car or driver's license for that matter, it might not be the best for me to store the lot of them. But that's something that can be decided later on as well. The main thing is to get a standard going (something like modules of 20x310 (or multiples of 310), with a height of xx cm. Then we have to figure out the track center, and whether it should be single or double track, or a combination somehow.