Some Japanese 'T' Projects - KiHaYuNi 26, KiHa 58 and others.

DanMacK

Lately in the T-Gauge community, alot of people have been using Shapeways as a means to get models they want.  That said, I've been playing around with Google Sketchup myself to get some items I want.  

I've made a start on an EF58 (not much to show yet), and an H24-66 Train Master (I know, not Japanese... lol)

For the last year or so, I've wanted to model a 581/583 series EMU in T Gauge, just haven't had the time.  Then I got to thinking that if I wanted one, others may want one as well.  That, coupled with the fact that scratchbuilding a set would be nice, but once again, I can't share it with anyone.

I've got basic blanks done for both types of coaches in the consists as well as the beginnings of the KuHaNe cab car (Below)

I'll post more updates as I go.  The plan is to start with a 6 car 583 and I can design the older 581 series cars as an add-on later.

If the KuHaNe nose gets irritating enough, I may go back to the EF58 or do something easier, like an EF81 ;)

Regards,

Dan MacKellar

post-210-13569929076409_thumb.png

• Like 1

very cool. if you come up with something fun check with ardesh at trainaidsa.com, he has been promoting folks that want to sell some of their little home brew projects like this! keep us posted!

jeff

hes an excellent chap and always interested in what folks are doing and helping folks if they wan to try to sell their products, lifts all boats. he really is great at finding the niches that are not supported elsewhere and trying to do what he can to fill the gap. hes local for me so we have coffee every couple of months to chat about trains.

cheers

jeff

Update - Fought with this all day, and I hope to have it printed off in the next few weeks.

Designed to fit a slightly modified KiHa 40 chassis.

post-210-13569929815109_thumb.png

KiHaYuNi test shell - Hopefully details will be a bit more apparent when painted.  I'll tweak it a bit more before releasing it :)  I'm also expecting a chassis soon to put it on.  More soon!

post-210-13569930101669_thumb.jpg

post-210-13569930102894_thumb.jpg

Jeff,

I uploaded it to Shapeways  All told for 2 shells and UPS shipping from Holland came to about $20.00.  That's in their "Frosted Ultra Detail".  Other materials are cheaper but don't give the quality.  I have some adjustments to make to it yet, more details, etc.  but it's coming along.

I'm still playing around with the 583 as well.  even though I'm modeling a rural line right now, I do want to do a small set of dual track urban modules with catenary poles, so the 583 will be done.

I also want to do a KiHa 07, and possibly some loco hauled stock as well, starting with a 20 Series coach.  Oh, and to pull it, perhaps an EF58.  The new 18M chassis for the HST and ICE trains that's coming out soon will also open up alot more possibilities...  EF81 and EF66 anyone?

These are in the future though, once I get my 3D modeling skills better honed.  lol

So since I'm basing my modeling efforts (for the most pat) in Hokkaido, I decided to start work on a KiHa 58.  I may also do a KiHa 55.  Also, seeing the Caboose stations that are so prevalent around Hokkaido, I decided to start on a T-Gauge Yo3500.  It's intended to be stationary on the ground for now, but I may design a chassis for it as well in the future.

The beginnings of the KiHa 58

KiHa58-Start.jpg

The Caboose-in-progress

Yo3500.jpg

Also an update on the KiHaYuNi 26.  The shell was slightly too small as I had it printed, so I resized it and reuploaded.  I should have it shortly.