GreenMax in trouble?

rpierce000

I just got off the phone with my wholesaler concerning our order for the holiday season.

It seems we are having a lot of trouble getting GreenMax items. I asked why and he says there is a fairly strong rumor in the industry that GreenMax is in fiscal trouble.

Can ANYONE else corroborate or dispute this?  I would really hate to see them go, have just Kato and Tomy would be a VERY small playing field indeed. Tomy is VERY big and Kato is VERY small (compared to Tomy).

I eagerly await the results of the stupendous information line this board seems to have.

Martijn Meerts

I have no info, but it would be a shame if greenmax went down. They've got some great kits and accessories. I guess the fact that they tend to be more expensive (and not pre-painted in many cases) make them somewhat less popular though..

Green max would sell alot better if they made a better power unit. in terms of rumors i have not heard anything but with the amount of modela they are releasing it seems unlikely.

Usually they will cut down releases and that does not look to be the case.

Will check the mixi green max fan page its not official so maybe something will turn up.

Greenmax hasn't been very innovative in the last 10 years or so as well. The range of kits is very nice and all, but aren't up to date anymore. I'm not talking about their wonderful structure kits, but their unpainted trains.

They are of high quality, but do not easily allow for modifications, such as front/end lighting, interior lighting and furniture. This requires a lot of kitbashing for the average modeller, plus, as keitaro mentioned before, the motor units are almost ancient. They as well aren't very inviting to work with as the main choice as a power unit. The motor unit is highly visible through the windows and they aren't very quiet as well (Tomytec ones are not much better, but a less worse choice).

However, it would be really bad if they need to leave the scene. Their building kits are awesome and I'd hate to see them go.

The new models have light units and internal lights work with tomix ones.

If they did a flywheel motor im confident there sales would boost.

Btw you can fit a tomix fly wheel in some just needs a bit of milling.

I dont think it will make it that much quieter though due to the gears being 50% of the problem

Interesting rumor.  I checked the GreenMax website, their product release schedule extends into April of next year, nothing to indicate cut backs or ceasing of production.  Do notice that many of the product release dates have been pushed back (such as the monorail), perhaps it's an issue with their supplier (do they outsource production to China?)

the kits are from japan and assembled in japan too. (mine are at least)

all i know is their located in northern japan maybe affected by tsunami?

All contact information I have seen indicates that Green Max is located in Tokyo.

〒 173-0014

大山東cho 18-4, Itabashi-ku, Tokyo

Its a small company with 10 employees.

All contact information I have seen indicates that Green Max is located in Tokyo.

〒 173-0014

大山東cho 18-4, Itabashi-ku, Tokyo

Its a small company with 10 employees.

head office yes but thats not where they make the models

In the past greenmax has take a long time to do re-runs of buildings or to just get stock out. r10 special ordered some for me a few years back a couple of times and they had a devil of a time getting them. i remember them saying greenmax was a pain. even mokei in the states use to have issues getting some of the buildings doing large orders every 3 months or so getting some green max buildings. you figure they would have the lead time and quantity to overcome this (he shipped by containers).

even the best of companies can have times when cash flow gums up or lines of credit change, etc. hopefully just a momentary bump.

cheers

jeff

i think people need to remember this is a family business that started as a model shop. and exapanded into a business at this time it's still is and they do have their main store still but not in the orginal location dure to developments in the area.

ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/グリーンマックス

that would make them more vulnerable to regular business variables (credit lines, cash flow, inventories, staffing, etc). also with japanese production things like supply line issues and electricity shortages w/in japan from the tsunami could really cram their style. larger companies would have more muscle their needs than for smaller businesses. also they are very reliant on plastics for their products the increases in oil the last few years maybe sneaking up on them.

also the smaller you are the less attention you get from the distributors.

cheers

jefff

hmm not sure theyre bigger than world kougei.

anyway i have only one request from them and that is make a better power unit.

I have no issue with paying money for their models except the power unit.

I love the models i have the kintetsu 2610 lmited and it is a beauty well detailed has everything and includes the tight tn couplers.

in terms of detail inside the seatig is all there and looks great.

If you havn't tried a greenmax model if you see one you like give it a go as the new ones are definately better quality than some of the older kits.

or buy one  :grin and help em out

Did that, one arrived in September, one just arrived, and another preorder is due for December.  :grin

They've been putting out a lot of stuff lately and the reservations generally fill a month or two before a model comes out.  They have slipped a couple of things, but so have others (Kato's Ginza train, for example).  The Japanese economy seems to still be feeling the impact of the earthquake, and that could well be causing them cash-flow problems (and as noted it is easy for a small company to go from bad to worse quickly if they misread demand).  Still, it seems unlikely that they'd be in serious trouble given the amount of demand that there appears to be for their product.

I certainly hope not.  While I could wish for improvements, they're a good company that makes good-looking and reasonably functional models, and I'd hate to see them go.

A few members of the Australian Japanese Model Railway Group (including myself) buy greenmax buildings and other items (not trains) so hoping that this is more of a rumour as it would be sad if they close up. Afterall they do provide great building and wall structures (even though you might have to paint them) but they look really good on our layouts.

I think I might have some grrenmax items that I need to re-purchase to add to my stock to add to my layout :P

We have been given the renumbering, they are also repackaging a lot of stuff which removes the bits that a printed on the carton. That is going to seriously change some of the products. The prices have changed as well. I have posted it all on another thread.