Unitrack Double track Plate Set 20-841

ibm650

I am building a new layout and am interested in the Unitrack Double track Plate Set 20-841, can you connect single track to it?  I was thinking of a double track outer with a figure 8 set inside it, so I would want to add some pieces to the double loop for switches and to connect to the figure 8.  What do you think?

That product has been discontinued (Kato's Japanese stock list notes it as "suspension of production", a notation they don't use for things simply out of stock; and Hobby Search lists it as "terminated"). So, buying into it for a new layout may leave you unhappy if you want to add to it later.

I don't have personal experience of it, but I believe it's just a plate that ordinary Unitrack double-track snaps into, so it would be compatible with single track connections (you can connect single unitrack to double track directly with no compatibility issues; they're identical at the connection point).  The only thing you'd have to be concerned with is that the plate raises its track about the "ground" the single track sits on.  With a long straight single-track you'd probably not have any problems, but there's a chance short track could need to be shimmed up to make the conection less abrupt.

Perhaps someone else can say more about that.

Update: I actually had a set of the station plates tucked away (I'd forgotten I had them).  The plate system is actually single track screwed to a plastic plate.  You can connect single-track (or double track) to it.  BTW, this thread is almost a duplicate of the Suburban Station thread, and it might be a good idea for a moderator to merge them.

Unless you want quick and dirty track side scenery, the double plate track is a pretty bad idea. I think Kato realized this. I don't think the product did very well, seeing as there really wasn't much support for it (there were what like 1 size of straight and 1 size of curve LOL). Also, beware that the curves are really sharp at r315/r282. The newer Vxx sets with concrete ties and superelevated curves are definitely the way to go.

I have the V11 double track pack with the super elevated curves which I am running in a semi dog-bone shape. I have connected single track via the points. Very happy with it. The only issue I have is that pack has concrete sleepers but the points and some of the single track elements have wooden sleepers.