tomytec electrical towers

The Katos are repackaged from Heljan. I do not know if the TomyTecs are more "Japanese".

IMHO towers look like towers from more than a foot away.

yeah with the towers is mainly how thin the material is as the plastic ones in n scale tend to be very over scale on the materials so it can look a bit pudgy. this is my only concern from the picture of the tomytec as they look to be smaller towers than the kato/heljan models.

etched metal ones look fantastic, but they aint cheap! if you were to have one or two at the front of a layout i would really think that it would be worth the etched metal ones, but if at the rear of a layout as you say you may not really notice at all and mind says tower and you ignore any puddgieness.

cheers

jeff

ok got a set of these today. not bad. plastic framing is not too pudgy. big stuff is like 1.5mm (9" scale) and smaller about 1mm (6" scale).

base is 5cm square

total height about 28cm and change (about 140')

cross trees are about 8cm across

they do look right for the medium sized towers ive seen in japan.

ok value for $10 ea, not great.

jeff

The Katos are repackaged from Heljan. I do not know if the TomyTecs are more "Japanese".

Judging from the photo on HS, the Tomytec are slightly more detailed.  I'm presently assembling a pair of the Kato/Heljan ones, and they're very plain.  The overall design is almost identical, but the girders are close to smooth, while the Tomytec appears to have raised gusset plates and similar small details.

The Kato ones are a real pain to glue, BTW. You have to line up the edges and clamp with tape, there's nothing on the model that makes it want to go together the right way or stay there long enough for the cement to set.  Jeff, are the Tomytec ones any easier?

IMHO towers look like towers from more than a foot away.

Agreed.

But the Tomytec look "identical" to the JR East-owned tower in this photo.

Ken

Yes those details are in there. I'll dig out my kato towers and compare. I'll take some Picts if I can find my camera.

The tomytecs come per assembled in 5 vertical sections so no messy gluing frame corners.

Jeff