V15 and turnout question

Spaceman Spiff

Spaceman Spiff

Hi there, I'm still working on my overhead station area and the V15 kit. I'm planning to have two lines splitting into 4 lines leading into the V15 track and into the station. The problem I have is that after the turnout the tracks aren't flush (ie: even in length) so they don't line up to the V15. The plan is to use both left and right turnouts(not as pictured) going into the V15 with at least one section of straight prior to the V15. Is there a special section of track to even up the lengths or do I just use a dremel and cut it to length. I have cut Kato unitrack before with no issues.

Would you use #6 or #4 turn outs?

Spiff

post-425-13569928803419_thumb.jpg

sure there is (used one myself in my coffe table actuall2 of em) adjustsable lenght

just cant remember the # for it, will look up when i get home (its a pice os straight that slides in / out )

For the 33mm track spacing a #6 won't work - I'm assuming that is a R249 curve or similar that you've used. This gives something close to 33mm spacing, but as you can see it really messes up the rest of the geometry. The #4 switch combined with the R481 curve and then the cutoff S60 piece (comes with the turnout) and a regular 62mm piece will give you the geometry you are looking for. The #6 is designed to work with the R718 curve and gives 49.5 spacing (or combiine with an S64 straight it gives 66mm spacing for an island station).

Edit: Yeah, you could use an adjustable piece too, though the spacing is not exactly 33mm so the pieces will be bent a little bit. Most equipment should be fine over the kink.

Spaceman Spiff

Thanks for the replies.

David, if I understand this correctly I need  a Kato 20-160 481mm (19") Radius 15º Curve Track then S60 piece from the switch package then a Kato 20-030 64mm (2 1/2") Straight Track

Sure seems alot pieces. It would take 5 seconds to trim a straight second of track with a dremel  :)

You would think that Kato would have a simpler setup.

Spiff

Spaceman Spiff

Any info on the adjustable piece? Part number? I adding an extra an extra table to my layout and looking like I need a removable bridge so that I can walk in between modules when not running trains. This piece may be perfect.

Spiff

Guest Closed Account 1

Any info on the adjustable piece? Part number?

Are talking about the Kato Unitrack Expansion Track 20-050?

Be sure it is perfectly flat or the rail tips will catch your wheels.  You can file the inner board for better clearance.

These pieces are a must between Ntrak modules.

Unitrack-Track.pdf

Spaceman Spiff

I think I will trim my straight section of track to line up to switches. I did order some of the extendible track to see if will for my removable bridge.

Spiff