KATO N Double Track V16 20876 and V11 ?

HiSpdTrainFan

HiSpdTrainFan

Hello everyone. Will I be able to run my Eurostar 8 cars set,Thalys 10 cars set, and Shinkansen 800 6 cars set on these Kato tracks or not? Outer box pics, and Youtube videos only shown inner city train cars , but no high speed trains on them.

"Track comes with a cant which makes  the train lean on curve". Kato

Thanks,

Tony

You're talking about variation set V16, right?

I've read on this forum multiple times that Kato Shinkansen are able to go through radiuses from even 315mm. The included tracks are R480 and R447mm, so I'm sure they will do. I do not know about the Thalys and Eurostar, but I'm quite sure do will do.

HiSpdTrainFan

You're talking about variation set V16, right?

I've read on this forum multiple times that Kato Shinkansen are able to go through radiuses from even 315mm. The included tracks are R480 and R447mm, so I'm sure they will do. I do not know about the Thalys and Eurostar, but I'm quite sure do will do.

Densha,

That is correct. http://www.ebay.com/itm/UNITRACK-Variation-Set-V16-Kato-20-876-/200660641730?pt=Model_RR_Trains&hash=item2eb84e67c2

Here is a video i found on youtube showing inner city cars, and cargos train on V16 and v11 .http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tPhS_K2yqNg&feature=relmfu

Its how Eurostar, and Thalys car couplers are. Wonders if it will derails the train around the lean curves.

Thanks

Tony

Hmm... I know someone who has a Kato Thalys (the old color version) and has minitrix tracks. The radius of the curved tracks they use are very small, at least not larger than about 300mm. So I can ensure you that at least the version with the old color scheme of the Thalys goes through these radiuses. I assume the version with the new colors is the same, so I think it will work too. I can't tell you anything about the Eurostar, but if it has the same coupling system I think it will work.

But still, 447mm is a pretty big radius for N gauge, so I think it'll work out. Otherwise you could wait for an answer from someone who has the trains, that could be smart too.

Btw, I don't where you live, but if you don't live in Japan, you can expect import taxes if you are planning to buy from Japan. Just to warn you, no problem if it's just to show me which set it was.

As Webskipper notes, the V16 is wide radius (R447 and R480).  The older superelevated double-track curves of the V11 are R381 / R414, and Kato's shinkansen models, at least the ones I have (500 series, E3 and E5) will operate just fine around those. I don't have any of the European trains to know how those work.

Note however that "operate" isn't the only criteria. Long cars, like my 500 Series, look rather odd on sharp curves (like the R381).  The nice thing about the V16 set is that it lets Unitrack users build gentler curves more suited to those long cars.

The other thing to consider is that Kato (and other Japanese manufacturers) design for narrow-radius curves.  That's not true of all N-scale. R381 is 15 inch radius.  That's pretty tight for N-scale passenger cars.  I have some Bachmann Amtrak coaches that reliably derail on my Unitrack, even the R414, and I think they need something larger than even Kato's V16 to work. Depending on what you want to run, Unitrack may not be suitable. But Kato and other Japanese brands should be fine.

You will have no problems in running all your shinkansens on the V11 and V16 sets, only the short bodied shinkansens can go on the V14 set due to the radius curve of the inner track.

HiSpdTrainFan

Hmm... I know someone who has a Kato Thalys (the old color version) and has minitrix tracks. The radius of the curved tracks they use are very small, at least not larger than about 300mm. So I can ensure you that at least the version with the old color scheme of the Thalys goes through these radiuses. I assume the version with the new colors is the same, so I think it will work too. I can't tell you anything about the Eurostar, but if it has the same coupling system I think it will work.

But still, 447mm is a pretty big radius for N gauge, so I think it'll work out. Otherwise you could wait for an answer from someone who has the trains, that could be smart too.

Btw, I don't where you live, but if you don't live in Japan, you can expect import taxes if you are planning to buy from Japan. Just to warn you, no problem if it's just to show me which set it was.

I have the newer version Thalys K10918, but i believe both are same. Similar coupling system with Eurostar... I will be buying it here in the US shipping is only $13-14 verses $58 from Japan .

HiSpdTrainFan

As Webskipper notes, the V16 is wide radius (R447 and R480).  The older superelevated double-track curves of the V11 are R381 / R414, and Kato's shinkansen models, at least the ones I have (500 series, E3 and E5) will operate just fine around those. I don't have any of the European trains to know how those work.

Note however that "operate" isn't the only criteria. Long cars, like my 500 Series, look rather odd on sharp curves (like the R381).  The nice thing about the V16 set is that it lets Unitrack users build gentler curves more suited to those long cars.

The other thing to consider is that Kato (and other Japanese manufacturers) design for narrow-radius curves.  That's not true of all N-scale. R381 is 15 inch radius.  That's pretty tight for N-scale passenger cars.  I have some Bachmann Amtrak coaches that reliably derail on my Unitrack, even the R414, and I think they need something larger than even Kato's V16 to work. Depending on what you want to run, Unitrack may not be suitable. But Kato and other Japanese brands should be fine.

I also have the Spectrum Acela Express set which required 19" radius curve to be able to run smoothly at low speed going through the curves. So yea, i don't think my acela will be able to run on V16 track. However, the V16 is mainly for the shinkansen 800, European trains (Thalys, Eurostar). I just like the double tracks and the caternary....

HiSpdTrainFan

My 12 cars Eurostar train runs fine on V11 tracks.

Are you talking about the newer V11 double tracks which fits inside the V16 like in the youtube video above, or the older super elavated V11 double tracks?

I also have the Spectrum Acela Express set which required 19" radius curve to be able to run smoothly at low speed going through the curves.

LOL what a piece of junk... My set binds on the outer curves of the Kato V11 set. And that coupling system... I am sure it worked fine in the head of the guy that designed it and made drawings of it and probably even made animations of it, but I don't think they EVER tested it. EVER. And then to have to balls to charge what they charged for that set and all its add-on pieces... ARRGGGHHHH!!!

Has a bunch of generic instructions, a PHOTOCOPIED and HAND CUT BY SCISSOR piece of paper that says run with 19" or greater radius, and NO diagram ANYWHERE of proper train formation - I had to search for that myself on the internet.

I could go on and on.

Yet I was still stupid enough to buy it.  :laugh:

HiSpdTrainFan

Just an update. Acela Express can run on Kato V16 super elavated curves. I just ran the Acela set on the V16 super elavated curves without any problems. So you guys with the Acela set are good to go.  :grin

• Like 1

I have a V16 that I set up and share (with quite a few extra straight sections added in) with my club and they all seem to enjoy loading all of their longest Shinkansen, ICE, Amtrak setups onto it and running them at somewhat higher than prototypical speeds.  Inside of that sits an extended V11 doing the same thing.  I don't think you will have a problem.  About the V14 though, interestingly all of the Unitram V sets seem to reference connecting to a V14.  Perhaps there is a subtle message attached.

It is due to that the V14 has a tighter curve than the V11 and V16 which is still good for UniTRAMS but not good for long shinkansens like the N700 or the E5.

Just an update. Acela Express can run on Kato V16 super elavated curves. I just ran the Acela set on the V16 super elavated curves without any problems. So you guys with the Acela set are good to go.  :grin

Hispeed,

What is the layout size of the V16 as shown on the box? I'm so happy to hear the ACELA works.  Until I read that I was on the verge of offloading it as I want to use Kato soley.

Saw this when looking for V16 examples on YouTube

Can anyone identify this Kato V double track. It definitely does not look like v16:

Guest Closed Account 1

Without an eagle eye view it could be v11.

Trams on V sets?

They can turn on a dime. Surprised anyone is running them open throttle on elevated track. :)

I know it's a bit late but for those that are asking about the layout size of the V16 set I hope this helps.

V16 Layout Dimensions: 2560 x 1432 mm (in imperial that equates to 100.78 x 56.37 in).