Fine track electric turnout control

nickhp

Would a momentary SPDT work to control the Fine Track electric turnouts? Something like this http://www.walthers.com/exec/productinfo/475-3622002

Is a Capacitor Discharge Unit (CDU) needed or would 12v through the momentary switches do the trick?

I am looking at a total of only 4 turnouts on a mini layout, though one pair of turnouts would be joined together - not sure if that would drive the need for a CDU even if single turnouts don't need them.

Thanks!

Nick

Hello nickhp,

That switch will not work with Finetrack without additional circuitry. The Finetrack points require momentary power, but require reverse polarity to flip the switch in the opposite direction.

You therefore need a DPST 'momentary':

http://www.walthers.com/exec/productinfo/475-3627002

These switches will not stay in the 'on' position.

NOTE that you must be careful! Other switches known as 'Center off' will stay 'on' if you flip it to a side. You do not want this as constant 12v to a point will melt it (proven too many times.)

You could also use a DPDT (not momentary) to choose the point direction and have a push button on the line between the switch and the point to fire it.

As for power requirements. 8v is enough... 12v is more than enough and no CDU is required. The points fire very easily and you'll only need to apply a short burst of power.

As long as you wire multiple points in parallel and not serial, you wont need a CDU to power them either.

Good luck, Steven.

NOTE that you must be careful! Other switches known as 'Center off' will stay 'on' if you flip it to a side. You do not want this as constant 12v to a point will melt it (proven too many times.)

as little as 3 seconds too. also if doing your own switch good to have a resistor of sorts as anymore than 12v will also insta fry the switch.

Ouch, I didn't realize they were so sensitive!

Maybe I should stick with the Tomix turnout switches, the only problem is the size of the things.  I was hoping for something very small and discreet rather than something as big as the Tomix switches.  Of course on top of the size of the switches I would then need the converter box, it is all just getting too big...

Maybe I will put everything on a small panel and have it separate from the layout and then connect it all via a multiple pin connector.  I just can't have that much stuff actually on such a small layout.

Thanks for the replies!

Nick