Subway Trains

KenS

Any possibility of making access holes thru the table or some lift off areas on the upper sections so things don't need to be torn up.

Jeff

Very nice looking Metro train Subway! I'm loving the pillar supports to replicate an actual subway, and the graffitti really adds in realism to it! Nice!

Any possibility of making access holes thru the table or some lift off areas on the upper sections so things don't need to be torn up. Jeff

My technique was to use 2mm (0.080") plastic sheet as the "street-level" (painted green and with scatter glued on it can look like grass too) and set it into a notch above the tracks to make it flush with the surrounding surface.  This is rigid enough to cover a double-track station with a central island and still provide a strong support for structures above it. With more tracks, you'd need some kind of support posts or similar.

With what looks to be a sheet of plywood above on Subway's layout, that would be harder to do, but perhaps still possible if you cut out some holes with a saber-saw and then notched the edges. A router would be my first thought for that, but probably wouldn't work well on plywood.  Perhaps gluing some trim moulding or a cheap wooden photo-frame in the hole would work (photo frames can be found in long/narrow versions and glued in upside down would have notches to hold a lid (a bit large, but you could use 5mm plywood or something for the lid.

My big mistake, and one I won't make again, was to then run track over the "roof", preventing me from opening the access in several critical places without disassembling the Unitrack above it (which can be done, since I don't ballast it, but is a real pain once the scenery is in place).

Subways are an excellent idea, but executing on that idea brings a whole set of new problems we don't normally need to think about (clearing spider-webs, for example).

• Like 1
Mudkip Orange
Subways are an excellent idea, but executing on that idea brings a whole set of new problems we don't normally need to think about (clearing spider-webs, for example).

"Giant spider in subway" would be a great scene in a movie. Doubly so if said movie opened with the classic Toho wave intro...

• Like 2