Subway Trains

KenS

There have been several announcements about subway trains models for this fall and winter. But postings about them have been scattered on the various manufacturer announcements lists, and more recently the "What I received" list, plus a pair of threads on Kato's new lighting system.  I wanted to post some photos of my new train and none of those really fit. I noticed we didn't have any kind of "N Gauge" topic for posting about subway trains, and decided to create this one.  Post about your subway (or otherwise "underground") trains (past or present) and how you'll use/display them.

Here to start are some photos comparing how the trains match up in terms of size with a standard commuter train, the E231.

I'm going to be using mine in the underground "subway line" since these are third-rail trains that would look kind of odd surface-running on my catenary- equipped track, but for photography purposes (and to break them in on DC before adding the DCC decoders my subway requires) I ran them on the above-ground loop.

Here then is one of my new Kato Ginza line trains (I bought two):

post-264-13569928738513_thumb.jpg

post-264-13569928738903_thumb.jpg

post-264-13569928739553_thumb.jpg

• Like 2
Guest Closed Account 1

I think it's great to have vehicle categories. That way we can find facts faster and don't always see the same newbie questions repeatedly.

We also learn about other forms of powered rail.

Nice pics Ken!

Third rail being fitted ? :grin

Some flex and some small screws in the wall then soldered to screws couldn't be too difficult to do when originaly made but modifying could be a nightmare.

There is plent of third rail on viaduct as well in osaka for example so one could plan a subway then up to elevated viaduct if they had the space.

Would definately make an amazing line.

I'm still using unattached unitrack without ballast, so a third rail would be a bit excessive at the moment.  If/when I ever get to permanent track (likely flex) and ballast, then that kind of detail is appealing. I've seen some beautifully-modeled third rail on layout, and it's not that hard to do in a technical sense. But I'm a long way from that degree of modeling fidelity.

• Like 1

Just glue some plastic beads of the right size to a few of the ties, and a length of dark-painted code 55 flex rail atop them and you've got a third rail.

Now that I say that, I'm tempted to do it on the bridge where my subway track comes out in the open.

i actually havn't ordered the 10000 metro because it is not thirdrail

would be nice to see osaka's Midōsuji Line's stock get some attention http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mid%C5%8Dsuji_Line

second oldest subway line right after the Ginza.

some stock links

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kitaky%C5%AB_8000_series

and 21 series

300px-Osaka_Subway_Series_New_20_JPN.jpg

I also quite fancy this upcomming beauty

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Osaka_Municipal_Subway_30000_series

i actually havn't ordered the 10000 metro because it is not thirdrail

would be nice to see osaka's Midōsuji Line's stock get some attention http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mid%C5%8Dsuji_Line

Tomytec made some limited edition Osaka rolling stock that were only sold in the Osaka region. I think they can be obtained over Yahoo! Auctions or Rakuten.

Osaka Municipal Transportation Bureau

- 10 Series

- 30 Series

MicroAce made the 20 Series in these liveries:

- Midosuji Line (21 Series; dark front, red line)

- Tanimachi Line (22 Series; dark front, purple line)

- Osaka Transport System (OTS Series; blue front, blue line)

Next to that, Tomytec also made a 300 Type from the Transportation Bureau City of Nagoya.

I finally took one of my Ginza trains apart, and was quite surprised: it doesn't appear to be "DCC Friendly", at least not in the sense of being compatible with the EM13.

The cab cars have the usual socket for an FL12, and one can be installed and works just as you'd expect.  The new interior lighting system is explicitly described as compatible with the FR11 (I don't have one to check yet, and never use the FR11 anyway).

And the motor is the usual 3-pole flywheel model found on Kato's newer toolings that are "DCC Friendly".  But it lacks the depression into which an EM13 would fit.  You can almost get one in (and I haven't entirely given up yet).  But it appears to be just a hair too wide and a hair too long to fit, and there's a solid chunk of metal in exactly the wrong place. This leaves the end of the decoder levered up, where it would prevent the truck from being inserted, or would rub against it if it was.

It looks like a narrower and shorter "EM13" could fit, maybe.  The motor power pickups even have a neat little spring clip around them that would make more reliable contact with a decoder. And perhaps Kato has plans for a retooled EM13.

But right now, I don't think it's compatible.

I finally took one of my Ginza trains apart, and was quite surprised: it doesn't appear to be "DCC Friendly", at least not in the sense of being compatible with the EM13.

The cab cars have the usual socket for an FL12, and one can be installed and works just as you'd expect.  The new interior lighting system is explicitly described as compatible with the FR11 (I don't have one to check yet, and never use the FR11 anyway).

And the motor is the usual 3-pole flywheel model found on Kato's newer toolings that are "DCC Friendly".  But it lacks the depression into which an EM13 would fit.  You can almost get one in (and I haven't entirely given up yet).  But it appears to be just a hair too wide and a hair too long to fit, and there's a solid chunk of metal in exactly the wrong place. This leaves the end of the decoder levered up, where it would prevent the truck from being inserted, or would rub against it if it was.

It looks like a narrower and shorter "EM13" could fit, maybe.  The motor power pickups even have a neat little spring clip around them that would make more reliable contact with a decoder. And perhaps Kato has plans for a retooled EM13.

But right now, I don't think it's compatible.

wow surprising i was wondering why the included parts list did not note the decoders in there it only has the motor board piece.

i had a look and you are right just misses by a bit i'm thinking the side could have very carefully filing done but i might ruin it i guess wait till the next subway comes out in dec maybe they wil spontaneously let out info about a new decoder. Like they did with the new light kit.

• Like 1

I think it's too thick for the space available (I've tried test-fitting an EM13).  I'm going to see about clipping off the tabs that stick out of the side of the decoder with flush cutters and see if that helps, but I don't really expect it to.

I'll post some photos after I finish experimenting.

I think it's too thick for the space available (I've tried test-fitting an EM13).  I'm going to see about clipping off the tabs that stick out of the side of the decoder with flush cutters and see if that helps, but I don't really expect it to.

I'll post some photos after I finish experimenting.

Kens, I had a play with this and this is what I found.

The 2 prongs that go from the motor to the metal strips can slide a decoder under them however without completely pulling the model apart, I mean motor strips and the plastic to stop shorting you can fit a decoder in with some modification however once you place it on the track the drive shaft will rub on the decoder  :sad:

If you have a look where the bodies clip onto you can pull this plastic piece out after removing the motor. There are 2 plastic bits extruding each side which hold the strips in place and stop shorting on the metal chassis.

What I am thinking is if you file that plastic bits down and take .5mm of the edge of the EM13 you could fit the decoder there without the drive shaft rubbing the decoder perfectly fits with 1mm spacing between it and the flywheel and the trucks can still clip into their holder I was hoping the chips on the decoder would hold the strips in place.

Alternatively Kato have left a small groove right where the motor prongs are that allows for wires to go up into the model where the seating is which means you could put a decoder up there fairly easy just have to put up with the crappy look.

Kato released the Marunouchi Series 02 cars this month, and I had two on order which arrived yesterday.  Today I unboxed them and put them on the track for their break-in run (both of them on my double-track express loop). Very nice.

The tooling looks to be identical to the Ginza 01 series, with the same issue regarding lack of ability to fit the EM13.  On one of mine, the tail-lights on one car don't appear to work, so I'll be taking it apart soon to see if there's an assembly problem. But that aside, both run fine and they are beautiful models. I'm very happy.

They're both going to get DCCd, and put into service on my subway line as soon as I finish up the wiring on that.

Here are a couple of photos of them in action.

post-228-0-71559100-1362025698_thumb.jpg

post-228-0-93574300-1362025707_thumb.jpg

• Like 3
SubwayHypes

nice lookin trains!  personally i have a few subway trains and will have a small subway portion of my layout..

subwayyard1.jpg

subwaylines001.jpg

subwaylines002-1_zpsf3fdc54d.jpg

• Like 3
SubwayHypes

haha yea that one wasnt supposed to be in the picture....currently just have the hibiya and tozai line. 

subway,

just make sure you give yourself plenty of access to the hidden bits of your subway line. everyone that i have seen with a subway line ends up with horror stories about building themselves into a corner for access to all parts easily. we have a 2' hidden section on the jrm layout and never fails once a show to have something go wrong in there and takes a lot of fiddling to get stuff out w/o ripping up the layout. now going to make a trap door from above to get easier access!

love your graffiti on your support there! japanese or us? did you make it?

jeff

SubwayHypes

^yea i have thoght about that, the main level of the layout is composed of 4 sections all on supports.  so to access the subway yards i would only have to disconnect the upper level track and then i could remove 1 or 2 of the front section to get in there.  but yeah it will take alot of work especially if i have buildings, cars, etc...

and i did alll the graffiti custom myself using the tiny fine point posca pens.  i find graffiti on flickr or from pictures ive taken in tokyo, then copy it onto the structure.  for the most part japanese train tracks are very clean of graffiti, with the exception of the yamanote line through shinjuku-meguro....i mostly add the subway graffiti as an ode to classic 1980s-1990s new york subway graffiti.