more graves

This is very important addition to a Japanese layout. You have to get the details dead on or you may be digging a hole you cannot get out of. What ghost around comes around.

Japanese graveyards are VERY spooky places. As a teen we used some of them as a place to drink beer in, but soon found other places, it just wasn't comfortable to be there.

Remember that the Japanese clean their ancestor's graves once a year. This is a very formal occasion and a great reason to decorate your cemetery!

yeah it was confusing with 40 pagodas which i assume are the small stone markers of various sizes (im guessing down to the tall square stone and wood posts). then the 5 sets of of 2 pagoda stands. is each stand one grave site alcove? then it would look like maybe 10 grave sites total.

jeff

I sent the package image to my wholesaler who was kind enough to send me the following:

The Japanese for these wonderful items is “Touba” – which Hobby Search INCORRECTLY translates as “stupa” (a stupa is a round / domed Buddhist shrine).

The correct translation in this case is “wooden grave tablet” – they are the things that look like giant lollipop sticks about 5 to 6 feet high with Buddhist sayings written on them, that adorn most graves in a Japanese cemetery (Vistors to Japan will have seen these).

This Kobaru set contains 20 touba, plus 5 stands. There are 2 types of stand, and the package may contain any combination of the 2 types (packers choice !).

These items are designed to complement the graves in the Tomytec Diorama Visual Scene Accessories Series

**** THE GRAVES ARE NOT INCLUDED IN THE KOBARU SET ****

PS. The Kobaru site for this and similar accessories is at: http://www.kobaru.com/products/accessory.html

Tomytec graves are at: http://www.tomytec.co.jp/diocolle/lineup/jyoukei_k/jyoukei-k_10.html

bob,

thanks very much for this! i thought there was something a bit sketchy about the description! I kind of thought kobaru would just do a detail like this at that price given the cost of most of their stuff. im sure at their small volume its not cheap to do these runs of little items like tomytec can at their scale (and with tomy's production backing).

ive seen the toubas, sometimes there can be a dozen or more on each grave other times 1 or none. something i always figured i would do with strips of balsa and then just make some tiny markings on them as at 1' i doubt you will even see anything on them really. in reality i remember many of them pretty faded as well so you did not see the characters until you were pretty close. i also remember them light wood color, dark black, and various grays in between.

these might be something to use the laser transfer for, except you couldnt do white lettering. could also just laserprint onto card stock and then varnish it to make it stiffer and chop it up, could make a mess of dem really fast that way.

thanks again,

jeff

anyone have ideas for stuff to use for little bits of rectangular stone the graves are usually made of? i have searched for a long time at the art store for something that would work well. best ive come up with is small bits of cut styrene stock or perhaps polymer clay and bake and rough up a bit...

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/9/99/JapaneseGraveTokyo.jpg

cheers

jeff