Kansai International to Kyoto: need advice

CaptOblivious

So, I need to get from Kansai international airport to Kyoto with a minimum of fuss. The Haruka is the obvious choice, but why squander perhaps my only chance to ride the Nankai Rapit!? What do the collective masses think is the best way to get to Kyoto and still get my Rapit fix? I have an Android app that suggests heading to Namba and transferring to a Kintetsu train. Opinions?

Minimum fuss I would normally take the jr rapid express to shin osaka the change to kyoto I forget the services name. Takes about 2 hours 10 min from memory.

From memory you could get the rapit change to tennoji and go to shin osaka

Will check when back at desk

Rapit less suggestion sorry could always get the rapit on way back

I usually go from izumi fuchu so might take a bit longer my route is the budget one

how bout this

kansai to shinimamiya (on rapit)

shinimamiya to shin-osaka via jr kishuji rapid

shin osaka to kyoto unreserved seat on nozomi shinkansen

total approx Total:¥ 3,120

travel time 89 minutes

or

kansai to shinimamiya (on rapit)

shinimamiya to osaka via jr kishuji rapid

osaka to kyoto via jr rapid service

total approx ¥ 2,160 99 minutes travel time

though these are dependent on the time of day you are traveling

• Like 1
from Kansai international airport to Kyoto with a minimum of fuss

Take Nankai Rapit to Nanba.  Transfer to Osaka subway Midosuji Line and get off either at Umeda (JR Osaka Sta.) or continue on to JR Shin Osaka Sta.  From either station take a shin-kaisoku (rapid) train to Kyoto.  Make sure to get a place in the leading cab car of the rapid- the view from the front of the train between Osaka and Kyoto on a four track mainline is one of the best train riding/watching values in Japan, IMO.

• Like 1

I'd recommend the Rapi:t to Namba and then the Kintetsu Limited Express to Kyoto.

Only two changes and a mild walk from Nankai Namba to Osaka-Namba (Kintetsu.)

• Like 1

I'd recommend the Rapi:t to Namba and then the Kintetsu Limited Express to Kyoto.

Only two changes and a mild walk from Nankai Namba to Osaka-Namba (Kintetsu.)

There are no direct trains (ltd. expresses or otherwise) from Osaka Nanba to Kyoto.  You have to change trains at Yamato Saidaiji.  A worthwhile if rather roundabout trip, however. If you want to take a private railway line from Osaka to Kyoto directly, take either Hankyu or Keihan.

Neither of which are from Namba... JR really do have the market :)

The change at Yamato Saidiji would be similar to any other changes on the other routes.

If you didn't want to see East Kansai then the Midosuji Subway to Shin Osaka could be better; as bikkuri bahn already stated.

Or you could get off at Nishinakajima-Minamikata and change to Hankyu.

There are no direct trains (ltd. expresses or otherwise) from Osaka Nanba to Kyoto. You have to change trains at Yamato Saidaiji.

Really?! I think my memory is letting me down. I thought I had a one seat trip between Kyoto and Osakananba.

A worthwhile if rather roundabout trip, however. If you want to take a private railway line from Osaka to Kyoto directly, take either Hankyu or Keihan.

I would advise the Keihan if you are not against riding the Osaka subway for a while (gosh I loved the sound of the incoming train). From Yodoybashi you can try to ride in the upper level of a 8000 Series (http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:Keihan_8000_series) a nice ride for sure.

But maybe you should also look where you need to go in Kyoto, that city is huge.

Wow, thanks everyone!

Some additional info. First, we are flying back from Narita (SkyLiner here I come! Two awesome airport trains in one trip!) So hitting the Jamison on the return is a no go. Second, we are staying next to the Golden Pavillion, which is not really convenient to any train station. Our hosts say there is a direct bus from Kyoto Station that is very convenient, so we are planning to use that. It looks like the Habitual might get us marginally closer to our destination, but I can't tell about possible bus connections. Right now that makes the Kintetsu route appealing despite the train change near Nara.

Further thoughts?

Gotta run, riding the Budapest cogwheel railway and the Childrens' Railway with my daughter in just a few minutes!

Right now that makes the Kintetsu route appealing despite the train change near Nara.

Since I can't remember changing trains to access Osakananba from Kyoto, I'm pretty sure the connection is seamless, a matter of hopping from one train to the other without even changing platforms.

Really?! I think my memory is letting me down. I thought I had a one seat trip between Kyoto and Osakananba.

I would advise the Keihan if you are not against riding the Osaka subway for a while (gosh I loved the sound of the incoming train). From Yodoybashi you can try to ride in the upper level of a 8000 Series (http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:Keihan_8000_series) a nice ride for sure.

But maybe you should also look where you need to go in Kyoto, that city is huge.

I second Vincent's suggest. But if you are going in Kyoto, pretty much all trains on JR lead to Kyoto Station, and Kyoto does not have quite the same expansive subway system Osaka has.

Gotta run, riding the Budapest cogwheel railway and the Childrens' Railway with my daughter in just a few minutes!

Lucky you. Children's Railway (isn't there one also in Berlin?) is one I want to see, to observe railway operation on a small, easy to digest scale.

Or, get a front seat in the leading car, for a nice view out the front the whole length of the Keihan Main Line- highlights include high speed running on the four track "steel highway" in Osaka proper, the crossing of the Kizu and Uji Rivers on truss bridges, and the roller coaster run through the Kyoto suburbs. 

CaptOblivious

We opted for the Kintetsu, since it was a shorter walk from our room at the Toyoko Inn at Namba Station. That also allowed us to ride during daylight, and we rather enjoyed the scenery along the way.

Thanks to everyone for the help! (More requests coming soon...)