Addicted to trains

linkey

Guest JRF-1935

lol i was planning on adding it to the sons christmas pressie pile (bottom of pile) and take it straight upstairs into the cupboard for storage till just before xmas to wrap it  :grin

except it will come out of the cupboard when the wife goes to bed  :laugh: :laugh:

You Devil You  :laugh:

Rich C

so i got it in and been playing with it and it is awesome. OMG is 16 cars addictive. i mean it takes up 60% of my largest line but OMG is it awesome.

Did i mention it is awesome?

I think i have found a new sub addiction in model railways.  :grin

btw comes with a nice small booklet about the 500 and the sayonara last run consist.

Even when they don't really fit, there's something incredible about watching a long train.  I planned my layout to look good with 10-car trains, and running a 16-car 500 Series is a bit excessive; it's only about two feet from the next station as the tail pulls out of the previous one.  But it's still incredible to watch.

It does make me wish I had room for an around-the-walls layout that could have a long run between stations to make such trains look even better.

Martijn Meerts

For a shinkansen it'll be very difficult to build a layout with enough length in between stations really. Even a bit layout like the Rails Miniworld one in Rotterdam doesn't have high speed trains stop at multiple stations. When I was there last, they had a Thalys and an ICE just doing loops around a long-ish high speed line, but they didn't stop anywhere. They might have adjusted it by now so that the trains stop at the new Rotterdam central station ...

What I'm considering for my new layout, is to have several terminal tracks for shinkansen at the main station in the city. That way I can see them slowly pulling into and out of the station, which should look nice on the turnouts and in between the tall buildings. It'll remain visible a while, then head into a tunnel where it will either go to the main hidden yard, or to a smaller one that can hold several full length shinkansen. Somewhere in the layout, there should be a bit of visible high speed track where the shinkansen can run full speed. That track is probably just a couple of meters in between 2 tunnels, something not uncommon in Japan.

The one thing that worries me is the noise a 16-car shinkansen generates when running at high speeds =)

The one thing that worries me is the noise a 16-car shinkansen generates when running at high speeds =)

I must admit... New N scale is definitely not very satisfying when it comes to noise.. Everything just sounds so hollow. I am talking the natural sounds that the scale train makes.

I actually some of my older trains whereby they actually sound "heavy" due to friction on the wheel bearings as they aren't very good, and actually squeal sometimes hahaha.

Dunno if I am making any sense here. But yeah, quiet a 16 car Shinkansen it ain't. And not a very pleasing sound either. ;)

if you have the track down on something that absorbs the sound better then it ain't so bad.

The only other tip i can give for a long train is to reduce the amount of pieces to it's line. I.e. as many large straights than smaller straights. less clickity clack for every piece.

With the shinkansens liking to run on the newer KATO uni-track it would mean for the AJMRG to run shinkansens on boththe inner and out track layouts and now with the bigger curve track out we can run more trains. I really need to also buy more buildings too lol..

Guest Closed Account 1

I discovered DCC this year.

Now I can run multiple trains on one track. Keeps me juggling, and keeps it interesting.

The E5 has been the easiest conversion yet. Drop in decoders.

Digitrax zephyr extra will let you run multiple trains. Better with adding a hand held.

Martijn Meerts

Keitaro, it's not the sound transferred to the base, or the clickity clack sound I'm worried about that much. I'll be using flex track, so there's not many rail connections to start with, and the few there are I could always solder if needed.

The problem is more the 128 wheels of a 16-car train going over the track at high speeds. They generate a lot of noise which you can't do anything against.

the 128 wheels of a 16-car train

LOL that's a nice little fact taht I never really thought about hahaha. I wonder if anyone has calculated the amount of wheels on a typical North American freight consist.

Bob,

I'd happily trade my mother-in-law, niece, or the neighbour's cat ... but I'd never part with one of my trains.  :grin

Cheers

The_Ghan

• Like 2

Yeap, I'm addicted......

Now buying a third 500 Series Shinkansen (Tomix version), 300-3000 series Shinkansen, kiha 8500 (Aizu Railway) and these are only the start for 2012 releases....

So I have a roster so everytime I am at a convention, I have a good changeover rotation so not the same train runs the next event.

Means more time for me to have fun with my non complete layout.

HiSpdTrainFan

While i dont have as many consists like most of you guys here do.  But so far, i had purchased Acela Express DCC, Thalys, Eurostar, and Shinkansen 800 within the past two months. I now have my eyes on the TGV Duplex fully illuminated set for this Christmas.  My wife asks me what do those trains powered with? I said by electric.  Her reply was, " i think they are powered by Visa". :cheesy  Am I addicted? Probably not yet.

I found it - the Japanese Trains Anonymous Thread.  Hello family, my name is Junior and I am a Poly-Train Addict and most recently got hooked on Japanese trains for their accessibility, affordability and awesomeness.  When I'm not running or admiring my fleet of trains, I am on the internet looking for the next train or trains to purchase.  I've not purchased a train for 8 days now although my carts at MTP, Loco1 and HS all have something in them.  At least I've gotten smarter and now staying away from Ebay.  So thankful for discovering this forum as I am not alone in my wonderful predicament.  

• Like 2

You should try living in Tokyo with easy access to a wide range of new and 2nd hand stores. And Yodobashi Camera for next-day mail order delivery. Which reminds me, Hobbyland Pochi sale event in Ikebukuro at the end of the month...

Edited by railsquid
  • Like 3

There is NO cure.  Having a wife seems to provide some relief but then, arguing about the number of trains usually tips me over the edge and I buy another one.  I am sure I pay for the annual vacation at BigMan and Loco1.

• Like 1