Kato Corrogated Passenger Car truck/coupler replacement recommendations

Spaceman Spiff

Spaceman Spiff

Hi, I'm looking to replace couplers/trucks on some of my Kato Corogated passengers cars. I'm not the most talented guy when it comes to assembling couplers so I'm looking at fully assembled parts.  I'm looking at either the MicroTrains 1017-S or the Kato 800042. Kato had issues with originals (hence me replacing them lol) but are the new versions Ok? Any comments, suggestions or recommendations?

Thanks

Spiff

lovetoflyfish

Just getting back into the "sport" and I have the same issue as well (N Scale).

One thing that I have noticed is that there is a helluvalot better support on the Kadee site (including a forum) than the corresponding smaller-scale Micro-Trains web site.

Thank you for any help and best regards, L

lovetoflyfish

Corrugated Passenger Car Sets:

Set A #106-1502

Set B #106-1603

Set B #106-1604

It would be nice to have something prototypical but I'm most interested in a coupler that works and does not come apart so easily.

Thanks, L

Guest Closed Account 1

Well, according to the parts diagrams The Silver trucks are 800063, Black 800061. Both sold out at Kato.

800043 Silver is listed with a revised coupler and as you see above 800063 would supersede that item.

There are a lot of similar trucks released since then.

Ask Kato parts. parts@katousa.com

post-436-13569930170402_thumb.jpg

lovetoflyfish

Webskipper,

Thank you for the information; I really appreciate this.

I'm wondering what most owners of these sets have done or what is considered the best correction/solution?

Does it involve a full replacement of the trucks or just a coupler upgrade?

And, if I do replace the trucks (just couplers?), should I consider those that have the ability to uncouple/couple via DCC?

I do have an old Empire Builder set that I have yet to utilize.

Right now I'm just having fun running my stock on DC for the first time in twelve years but I would like to be able to use every car.

Thanks again and best regards, L

Guest Closed Account 1

You got back in just in time to really enjoy DCC.  Technology keeps getting less expensive.

I remove the coupler chin whiskers because they can snag on switches and FOD between the rails.

lovetoflyfish

I received a reply from a very cordial Michael Conway of Kato (including the following):

"We have newer couplers that would fit those particular car sets. For mounting these newer style couplers on passenger cars, there are three component parts needed:

923500 – the magnetic knuckle couplers themselves, packet of 10

923524 – Coupler cover plate, packet of 10 (locks down over the top of the coupler in the pocket, has a pin to keep it centered and allow it to pivot from left to right)

923511 – Coil centering spring, packet of 8 (locks behind the coupler assembly and keeps it centered in the pocket)"

This was the "meat" of the reply.

I have to tell you that I am impressed by the response from Kato USA in the fact that I did not have to show a proof of purchase or that this is many years since the original purchase and not 90 days, etc.

Great products and great service in this day and age.

Cheers to Kato and my friends here at JNS.

Many thanks, L

Spaceman Spiff

Thanks for info.  I will have to look at it. I hope no assembly required as assembling couplers are too much of a pita for me.

Spiff

lovetoflyfish

The parts will be ordered soon as well as one of those lighted magnifiers to help me see better.

I will chronicle the repair with pictures and post them if/when I complete this project.

Spiff, I'll let you know if it turns out to be a PITA project.

Regards, L

Spaceman Spiff

Well, according to the parts diagrams The Silver trucks are 800063, Black 800061. Both sold out at Kato.

800043 Silver is listed with a revised coupler and as you see above 800063 would supersede that item.

There are a lot of similar trucks released since then.

Ask Kato parts. parts@katousa.com

Hi Webskipper,  is it safe to assume that those trucks will fit every car on the Kato budd/corrugted series? Do the trucks come equiped with couplers?

Spiff

Spaceman Spiff

The parts will be ordered soon as well as one of those lighted magnifiers to help me see better.

I will chronicle the repair with pictures and post them if/when I complete this project.

Spiff, I'll let you know if it turns out to be a PITA project.

Regards, L

Looking forward to the details of your project.

Spiff