Cleaning old track

The_Ghan

I'm going to give away some old OO stuff to a nephew.  I pulled out the track last weekend and noted that it is quite dirty.  I've just finished cleaning a ship's bell (don't ask) with a metal polish called "Brasso" and the though has crossed my mind that it might do a good job on the nickel rails.  I did a test on a short length of track using a cloth glued to a piece of flat styrofoam so that I only cleaned the top of the rails.  It seems to have come up nicely.

Has anyone done this before?  Is there any problems with using polishes like Brasso?

Cheers

The_Ghan

Won't the wheels slip?  What about Emory board? Its used to clean surfaces for soldering.

Interesting point.  But the wheels don't slip on a piece of flex fresh out of the box, so why would they slip here?  You mean Emery board?  I could.  I was always told that using an abrasive material to clean the tracks left micro abrasions on the rails that attracted more grime and reduced conductivity.

Cheers

The_Ghan

I think that's true, but thousands of people use bright boys (including me back on my HO layout, although I avoid abrasives now).  At worst, using an abrasive is going to cause you to have to clean the track more often.  And the effect could be negligible; I don't know of anyone doing a formal study.

And if the track is really dirty/corroded, abrasion may be the only thing that works.  Brass is particularly bad for that, since the corrosion is non-conductive (unlike nickel-silver, where the oxidized track will still provide power to a locomotive) and you need to get nearly all of it off (and it comes right back).

When I first started out (a long time ago) I used brass HO sectional track.  I switched to nickel-silver as soon as I discovered it and never looked back.

ghan,

if you use a cleaner it might be wise to clean the stuff off afterwards with a rag and something like isopropanol. i think the slipping most folks get from using polishing fluids on tracks like brasso, wahol and clipper oil is they usually leave a coating to try to protect from future oxidation and that can have the slipping effect.

brass track is tough as it will always want to oxidize

cheers

jeff

Guys,

The track is actually nickel as per my original post.  It is mostly Peco from the early 1980's.

I've given one loop a clean.  It seems to work fine.

Cheers

The_Ghan